Prospect Info: Jacob Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
This seems to be the most popular pick as it's my least favorite.

I don't see upside. Reminds me of De La Rose
I like this pick. Compare it with when they took Collberg in round 2 in 2012. He also played in Swe-1. 0 points in 41 games! He never even took a penalty. That should have been a major red flag. That and his small size and timidity and perimeter game. I remember getting the hockey news draft preview that year and flipping through it in the breakroom with the guys at work. One of them remarked how he could have at least got an accidental assist or a deflection off his ass or something in 41 games lol but nothing, zip. Couldn't believe it when the Habs took him lol I was pissed. At least it's not a pick like that and he's a big C. There's upside with this kid.

Got chirped pretty good when the Habs took Collberg because there were a few Bruins and Leafs fans at work and we all laughed about his all zeros stat line a couple weeks earlier. Seems like everyone knew he would bust except Timmins lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
I like this pick. Compare it with when they took Collberg in round 2 in 2012. He also played in Swe-1. 0 points in 41 games! He never even took a penalty. That should have been a major red flag. That and his small size and timidity and perimeter game. I remember getting the hockey news draft preview that year and flipping through it in the breakroom with the guys at work. One of them remarked how he could have at least got an accidental assist or a deflection off his ass or something in 41 games lol but nothing, zip. Couldn't believe it when the Habs took him lol I was pissed. At least it's not a pick like that and he's a big C. There's upside with this kid.

Got chirped pretty good when the Habs took Collberg because there were a few Bruins and Leafs fans at work and we all laughed about his all zeros stat line a couple weeks earlier. Seems like everyone knew he would bust except Timmins lol.

Can you believe that to this day Collberg hasn't scored more than 6 goals in season in a men's league? Proves that tools don't make a player.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Can you believe that to this day Collberg hasn't scored more than 6 goals in season in a men's league? Proves that tools don't make a player.
Yep, it's crazy. All the tools, no toolbox kind of thing. It also shows that the proverbial 'eye-test' can be misleading. I always wondered how he got through 41 games without recording a point or PIM without being sent down to his age group league or whatever. Most players couldn't go pointless through that many games if they tried. Some 'accident' would happen and they'd get a point somehow sooner or later. What the hell was he even doing during his shifts? lol.

Last edited:

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
Yep, it's crazy. All the tools, no toolbox kind of thing. It also shows that the proverbial 'eye-test' can be misleading. I always wondered how he got through 41 games without recording a point or PIM without being sent down to his age group league or whatever. Most players couldn't go pointless through that many games if they tried. Some 'accident' would happen and they'd get a point somehow sooner or later. What the hell was he even doing during his shifts? lol.

just skatin around

lookin toolsy

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
By comparison, both DLR and Olofsson were playing in Allsvenskan their draft year.

DLR had 12 points in 38 games for 0.32 PPG playing for Leksands IF.
Olofsson has 21 points in 43 games for 0.49 PPG playing for Timra IK.

Both of their teams were promoted to the SHL the following season. DLR had 13 points in 49 games (0.27PPG) in the SHL before he was brought over to North America. Very excited to see how Olofsson will do.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
just skatin around

lookin toolsy
"Sebastian, you have to stop skating laps around the ice if you want to play tonight. We are here to play hockey."

"Ok coach."

"Alright Sebastain get out there, remember what I said. Sebastian! what are you d....f***."

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
By comparison, both DLR and Olofsson were playing in Allsvenskan their draft year.

DLR had 12 points in 38 games for 0.32 PPG playing for Leksands IF.
Olofsson has 21 points in 43 games for 0.49 PPG playing for Timra IK.

Both of their teams were promoted to the SHL the following season. DLR had 13 points in 49 games (0.27PPG) in the SHL before he was brought over to North America. Very excited to see how Olofsson will do.
You and me brother......he’s got good IQ, size and he’s a Swede!!!

Hopefully he’s a go to guy at the next U20 in December

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Olofsson's upside is middle 6. He already plays a pro-style possession game. He's more skilled then de la Rose, who played a very pedestrian game even as a young player; however, there are questions about Olofsson's offensive upside, which is why he fell. He was ranked late 1st for much of this year and then fell into the early to mid second round ranking before finally being selected late 2nd.

The qualities are there for a good, strong possession 3rd line center. We'll see how he develops. I don't expect to see him in N.A for another 2-3 years.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think realistically we hope he becomes a Lars Eller type who plays 3C and can play in the 2 spot when needed.

If he, however, finds consistency in his game (read reports, he actually has a lot of skills they just don't always show up the entire game) he could very well be a legit 2C.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Olofsson is clearly better than JDLR. He actually has hands and a shot. JDLR is just very big and fast.

JDLR did have a lot more speed though, and was also considered a more consistent player, a heart and soul type. I never really bought his upside since you can't improve stone hands but I'm shocked how badly his confidence got shot in North America.

If Olofsson is at least an okay skater though, the additional skill he has should make a difference.

Reactions: Redux91

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
JDLR did have a lot more speed though, and was also considered a more consistent player, a heart and soul type. I never really bought his upside since you can't improve stone hands but I'm shocked how badly his confidence got shot in North America.

If Olofsson is at least an okay skater though, the additional skill he has should make a difference.
On the smaller NA ice he's better than just okay IMO. That part of his game won't be an issue at all.

Reactions: Et le But

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
On the smaller NA ice he's better than just okay IMO. That part of his game won't be an issue at all.
I'm thinking with his size and stride it'll help his effectiveness. I'm a lot higher on this pick than I initially was, I didn't realize how skilled he actually is.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm thinking with his size and stride it'll help his effectiveness. I'm a lot higher on this pick than I initially was, I didn't realize how skilled he actually is.
He's got some puck skills, he's not a DLR clone. He absolutely does plays a simple game but he can make plays when he has to. I've seen him set the table real well on fast rush plays.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

It was possible to watch entire games of him without realizing how skilled he actually is, which is the only reason he fell, IMO. You name it, he's at least good at it. He's just meek, which will have to change. The extent to which it does will decide his fate at the NHL level, IMO.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It was possible to watch entire games of him without realizing how skilled he actually is, which is the only reason he fell, IMO. You name it, he's at least good at it. He's just meek, which will have to change. The extent to which it does will decide his fate at the NHL level, IMO.
Which is why he seems like a 3rd liner to me. Nothing wrong with that at 56 though.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Sure, why not?

Figured there must be a remake in the works for that and I wasn't wrong

Six-Billion-Dollar-Man-Movie-Release-Date-2019.jpg

Just hope they still have the cheesy looking Sasquatch

Reactions: groovejuice

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

To be fair, only 2 players selected in that second round have not busted yet... Martin Frk selected 49th overall, who is a marginal NHLer and Damon Severson, picked 60th OV, who is a decent second pairing defenseman... so you cant really blame Timmins here who went for the most skilled player at that point... that draft was easily one of the worst ever...

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I love how being compared to DLR is spoken of as if it is a bad thing. DLR is an NHL center. Very young.

To get that in the 2nd round is never a guarantee. Actually look at Lehkonen and DLR out of their 2nd round class and they are two of the better choices.

If Olofsson can be as good as DLR, if not better than it is a good pick. I don't understand the DLR hate I like his game. He plays a simple game but can skate well for a man his size and actually showed some offensive upside when given the opportunity with Galchenyuk last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese