Jacob Josefson - sent to Albany!

apice3*

Clarkson/Carter/Bernier can't drop the gloves?

Clarkson fighting anyone is pretty much a loss for us for 5 minutes. Carter only scraps with the real lightweights.

No idea where you got the idea that Bernier is a fighter. Only player he's fought as a Devil is Brayden Schenn. And dating back to 2009, add Brent Burns, Travis Hamonic, and Mark Fistric. He would get clobbered by a real fighter.

elias026

Jul 12, 2006
montreal
Clarkson fighting anyone is pretty much a loss for us for 5 minutes. Carter only scraps with the real lightweights.

No idea where you got the idea that Bernier is a fighter. Only player he's fought as a Devil is Brayden Schenn. And dating back to 2009, add Brent Burns, Travis Hamonic, and Mark Fistric. He would get clobbered by a real fighter.

The same loss as when Barch is on the ice during the game:sarcasm:

yakitate304

Crunch Time
Oct 23, 2007
NY
I don't know that Loktionov would be better, but Josefson is invisible most games spare for one or two sound defensive plays that stand out. He's good at not screwing things up, but his offensive game is just so bad at this point. No vision to make quick passes, no grit to outwork the other team on the cycle, no shot, and he plays on the perimeter far too often.

I'd send him down for his own good. He can establish a more offensive game in the AHL and get more minutes, then bring him back up after 10-15 games if he plays well.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
the last 5 games are pk is at 62% thats pretty bad, I think its are biggest flaw lately

Actually look at the 5 games. We had 8 penalties in the first game against Pitt and gave up one goal. 5 in the 2nd game against them and one goal. We had five against the Canes, and gave up 2 on a night when everyone was bad the entire game. Flyers were 1 for 1, and tonight was a hot mess.

So Saugas is correct, the PK has not been as bad as the last two games suggest, hell they has not been as bad as tonight suggested. The two against Pitt were just tough breaks, and at least one against the Canes was all on Marty being out of position. So no it is not our biggest flaw lately at all. They haven't been great lately, but its not our greatest flaw.

Our biggest flaw in the past two games has been weak D. It was bad in the 1st against Philly, and was horrific in the 2nd tonight.

elias026

Jul 12, 2006
montreal
Actually look at the 5 games. We had 8 penalties in the first game against Pitt and gave up one goal. 5 in the 2nd game against them and one goal. We had five against the Canes, and gave up 2 on a night when everyone was bad the entire game. Flyers were 1 for 1, and tonight was a hot mess.

So Saugas is correct, the PK has not been as bad as the last two games suggest, hell they has not been as bad as tonight suggested. The two against Pitt were just tough breaks, and at least one against the Canes was all on Marty being out of position. So no it is not our biggest flaw lately at all. They haven't been great lately, but its not our greatest flaw.

Our biggest flaw in the past two games has been weak D. It was bad in the 1st against Philly, and was horrific in the 2nd tonight.

1st game against Pitt we were shorthanded 6 times they scored once, second game 3 times shorthanded scored once.
Killing only 13 out of 21 thats not unlucky, maybe it isnt our biggest flaw but they way its going it will be

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Clarkson/Carter/Bernier can't drop the gloves?

You don't want Clarkson dropping the gloves on a nightly basis. Carter and Bernier are middleweights at best.

Most teams employ enforcers on a daily basis in the regular season. So long as the enforcer can play hockey and hold down 5+ minutes a game he's not an anchor weighing the rest of the team down.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
This board never disappoints after a loss. Josefson is definitely squeezing his stick right now, but if his play is the Devils' biggest issue, then we should be thankful.

kiwidevil

Once again, people have been saying it for a while. We are still winning a lot of close games. Having a 3rd line C that is not contributing and is not really holding his own defensively lately can be the difference between winning 7 out of 10 games compared to winning 4-5 out of 10.

We are forced to basically play two 4th lines at the moment. The production of Gionta's line is really masking Josefson's struggles even more.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

He's got like over 15 fights I believe and he's 6'2 220?

I don't want him fighting EVERY night obviously, we don't even have a fight every night. Point is, Barch isn't good and we have guys who can handle themselves. Fighting is very overrated.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
It's not Josefson's struggles, it's the fourth line's struggles. Just because Butler had two nice shots on a powerplay in one game doesn't change the fact that he's done very little at even strength.

I don't think Josefson's been playing particularly well, but how well was anyone expecting a line of Barch, Josefson, and Butler to play? And Yayo's failure to mesh on the top line (for one period, every other game) means little to me when Zubrus, Matteau, Butler, and Tedenby didn't stick there either.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
He'll learn much more in the NHL than he would from the AHL. its time he just learns, he has the skills and the know-how he just needs to put it all together. he'll learn eventually and i'm sure he'll be soaking up as much Elias as he can because he has the capability to be Patty's replacement. give him time, he'll come around

kiwidevil

Butler has looked a lot better than Josefson regardless of points, Barch hasn't been all that bad either.

At what point do you stop blaming his line mates?

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
I don't know that Loktionov would be better, but Josefson is invisible most games spare for one or two sound defensive plays that stand out. He's good at not screwing things up, but his offensive game is just so bad at this point. No vision to make quick passes, no grit to outwork the other team on the cycle, no shot, and he plays on the perimeter far too often.

I'd send him down for his own good. He can establish a more offensive game in the AHL and get more minutes, then bring him back up after 10-15 games if he plays well.
Once again, people have been saying it for a while. We are still winning a lot of close games. Having a 3rd line C that is not contributing and is not really holding his own defensively lately can be the difference between winning 7 out of 10 games compared to winning 4-5 out of 10.

We are forced to basically play two 4th lines at the moment. The production of Gionta's line is really masking Josefson's struggles even more.
Great posts guys, agreed with both.

That said, I don`t think this is the biggest of our problems. I`d still rather go after a top6 forward, because that`s a more pressing issue. We don`t generate enough shots on goal. Loktionov should get the chance and Josefson needs to re-find his offensive game though.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Just from what I've seen from JJ and just biased un-viewing from Loktionov. Just worries and from what people were saying here and stuff.
Josefson has had some bad giveaways and been losing the puck a lot lately. While his stickwork is always good, his positioning hasn`t been where it used to be either. Reading write-ups/scouting reports from posters on HF or any other message board w/o actually seeing the guy play or reading some analysis from amateur/pro scouts, no disrespect to anyone, isn`t nearly enough to make such statement. I expected this kind of answer, hence why I asked said question.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
Ask Buffalo how much not having an enforcer changed their season last year when Miller got plowed over and nothing was done about it.

To be fair, Miller getting run over and the the embarrassing why the team reacted not only sparked them into finally defending one another, but Miller crying enough to the league to make sure goalies were "not fair game". Which let's all agree is ********* if you're going to handle the puck away from the crease. Don't get me started on how goalies can interfere, slash and trip incoming players with no penalty called.

But this is about Josefson. The dude has barely played what equals a full NHL season. Let him make his rookie errors and fall into a slump. It happens. He can't be perfect all the time and when he finally gets out of his slump we'll all probably see a resurgence in his point totals.
People want to be easy on Tedenby? People need to be easy on Josefson too.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Josefson has had some bad giveaways and been losing the puck a lot lately. While his stickwork is always good, his positioning hasn`t been where it used to be either. Reading write-ups/scouting reports from posters on HF or any other message board w/o actually seeing the guy play or reading some analysis from amateur/pro scouts, no disrespect to anyone, isn`t nearly enough to make such statement. I expected this kind of answer, hence why I asked said question.

I haven;t been able to see much of NJ since moving, so I pretty much rely on few highlights and posts around HF :dunno: hope I didn't offend anyone.

kiwidevil

We also need to start limiting the match-ups and TOI of Gionta's line a bit. They have been on the ice for a few goals against lately too.

During the playoffs they were about 9 mins a game. Now they are 12-14 mins a game.

We need a offensive threat and a third line to hold in the O-zone for some time. We need to create a different look.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
I haven;t been able to see much of NJ since moving, so I pretty much rely on few highlights and posts around HF :dunno: hope I didn't offend anyone.
Of course not. What I`m trying to say is that one shouldn`t rely on those reports and if so, shouldn`t post before actually making sure that certain claim is true. It usually leads to spreading a misleading information.

kiwidevil

To be fair, Miller getting run over and the the embarrassing why the team reacted not only sparked them into finally defending one another, but Miller crying enough to the league to make sure goalies were "not fair game". Which let's all agree is ********* if you're going to handle the puck away from the crease. Don't get me started on how goalies can interfere, slash and trip incoming players with no penalty called.

But this is about Josefson. The dude has barely played what equals a full NHL season. Let him make his rookie errors and fall into a slump. It happens. He can't be perfect all the time and when he finally gets out of his slump we'll all probably see a resurgence in his point totals.
People want to be easy on Tedenby? People need to be easy on Josefson too.

Who is ever easy on Tedenby? He get's ripped to shreds by 95% of this board. No one has called JJ a bust/

If Deboer can bench Fayne for a rough game, he should be able to do it to JJ easily.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Of course not. What I`m trying to say is that one shouldn`t rely on those reports and if so, shouldn`t post before actually making sure that certain claim is true. It usually leads to spreading a misleading information.

Truth in that is 100% I've just been giving benefit of the doubt...

I just don't want NJ to end up in trouble with this situation.

Jedi

Jul 20, 2010
North Jersey
JJ is not the source of our recent struggles. I absolutely am not blaming him. However...
Not at all. There have been a few saying Josefson's lack of any idea of offence is going to hurt the team for a long time.

JJ seems to have a bit of a cult following. I guess since he was drafted early and is a defensive center. Not so long ago, it was being said that JJ will be the better overall player than Henrique.

You can say his lack of points etc are due to his line mates. But Butler and Barch have had games with good scoring chances and have made good shots, while JJ get's in front with a chance and looks like Peter's.

He averages less than a shot per game and is a minus 8 and 44% on face offs. There is only so long, especially in a shortened season you can wait for a player to "arrive".
100% agree on this. And that isn't knee-jerk - I've wanted to send him down since a couple weeks ago.

OP described it perfectly, he's a total black hole offensively. He's not good on the cycle, he isn't a playmaker, and he's even been struggling defensively and on faceoffs. What does he bring to the table??

As for playing with better linemates, he's had time with Kovy, and IIRC he played a bit with Zach and Patty last year too? Could be wrong on that.

But I really don't think linemates are his problem. He needs more seasoning. Getting 4th line minutes playing poorly in the NHL isn't going to help his development.

As for his replacement, I'd actually like to play Harrold at forward, but he's not a center and I don't see that happening anyway. Let's try out Lokti for 15ish games and see if he can play. At least provide *something* maybe. JJ provides nothing right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad