Jul 12, 2006
montreal
The playoffs I have no issue with that.

If we're playing a team like:
Caps
Predators
Sharks

etc. I have no issue going 4 lines

just like i dont have a problem dressing Barch against Flyers/rangers rival teams

but sending Yayo down does not have a point when we have 2 scratched D's when 1 of them played only 1 game at FW

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
we are 20th in the league:help:

NHL.com says we're 14th, but I think that was without tonight's updated numbers. The two games against the Isles skew the average a little but geez, at least be somewhat of a deterrent to scoring.

Ya, I think I was looking at the numbers from before tonight's game too, and the Isles are definitely skewing the numbers with their insanely good PP. Either way, it isn't nearly as bad as the last two games would suggest. It's clearly not as good as it was last year either. I think it's about what we should have expected, and Josefson is an important cog in it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
just like i dont have a problem dressing Barch against Flyers/rangers rival teams

but sending Yayo down does not have a point when we have 2 scratched D's when 1 of them played only 1 game at FW

No it does because Harrold is useful for depth reasons and will never clear waivers.

Still it's not worth sending JJ down unless you are sure he can't produce on an actual line and you think Loki could.

We aren't playing any Atlantic teams this week I think so scratch Barch. Play Matteau and see what happens. Butler has looked good. Maybe with a full line something gets going offensively there.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
It wasn't too long ago when Henrique was supposed to be the prototypical 3rd line center prospect while Josefson was the big offensive prospect. Seems their development's have changed so far but you can't knock him right now. His injuries have stalled him for sure but you just gotta let the guy play.

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
Give him time with someone other than Barch on his wing. Barch does his job, but it's best against the dirty and the rivals. Matteau would be acceptable for normal games. So would Josefson playing wing with Loktionov at center.

If we go the Matteau-JJ-Butler option and nothing comes of it, give Loktionov a shot subbing in for Josefson. He needs a look soon anyway, and this should get Josefson itching. I think we all need to be a little more patient, but Loktionov is hungry, while Josefson is in a rut. Before we consider switching JJ out for Loktionov's chance, I'd like to see him get a full few games playing with Elias and Clarky, too. But it's not as if it's sitting him for the whole season. So extreme. Just awhile to recollect himself.

Last edited:

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
People just want to see the toy Lou traded for.

If Lokti was not traded here this thread wouldnt even be up right now.

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
People just want to see the toy Lou traded for.

If Lokti was not traded here this thread wouldnt even be up right now.

Exactly. We want to test, tinker with all of our toys while it's still early in the season. Gives ourselves an idea of our depth.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't know what people want from the kid. He has the equivalant of one full season of NHL games under his belt. Not every young player is going to step in like Henrique did last year.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Send Josefson down. Call Loktionov up. Give him enough games to see how his plays settles. Judge who deserves the spot, Josefson or Loktionov.

Do it now because the games are not as intense as they will be closer to the playoffs.

kiwidevil

Not at all. There have been a few saying Josefson's lack of any idea of offence is going to hurt the team for a long time.

JJ seems to have a bit of a cult following. I guess since he was drafted early and is a defensive center. Not so long ago, it was being said that JJ will be the better overall player than Henrique.

You can say his lack of points etc are due to his line mates. But Butler and Barch have had games with good scoring chances and have made good shots, while JJ get's in front with a chance and looks like Peter's.

He averages less than a shot per game and is a minus 8 and 44% on face offs. There is only so long, especially in a shortened season you can wait for a player to "arrive".

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Exactly. We want to test, tinker with all of our toys while it's still early in the season. Gives ourselves an idea of our depth.

At some point you have to stop using these games as preseason outings and start developing something of a set lineup. I mean it's not hurting now because of the record but with how tight the standings can get a small losing streak can become problematic. I'd rather not give away too many points experimenting (like the two tonight) until it's a near certainty we'll make the playoffs.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Why not send Barch down for Lotkionov? Maybe Josefson's play wouldn't be so putrid if he wasn't playing with a turd on skates?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why not send Barch down for Lotkionov? Maybe Josefson's play wouldn't be so putrid if he wasn't playing with a turd on skates?

Hasn't this already been discussed like five times in this thread already? Lou and Pete want regular season enforcers, ESPECIALLY for games like division matchups or when there's another heavyweight in the lineup like Neil on Monday.

Josefson's not struggling offensively because of Barch, that's just a cop-out. He gets plenty of time without Barch and with other linemates and still can't create crap. He isn't even doing that great defensively, which is supposed to be his forte.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Hasn't this already been discussed like five times in this thread already? Lou and Pete want regular season enforcers, ESPECIALLY for games like division matchups or when there's another heavyweight in the lineup like Neil on Monday.

Josefson's not struggling offensively because of Barch, that's just a cop-out. He gets plenty of time without Barch and with other linemates and still can't create crap. He isn't even doing that great defensively, which is supposed to be his forte.

Didn't read thread, doesn't change my opinion either. Having a "heavyweight" is so overrated. I'd rather my best players be out there than some goon. If they are so important, why don't they play in the playoffs? And they don't have to "keep people in check", that's what the refs do.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ask Buffalo how much not having an enforcer changed their season last year when Miller got plowed over and nothing was done about it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ya, I think I was looking at the numbers from before tonight's game too, and the Isles are definitely skewing the numbers with their insanely good PP. Either way, it isn't nearly as bad as the last two games would suggest. It's clearly not as good as it was last year either. I think it's about what we should have expected, and Josefson is an important cog in it.

Tonight it was bad but that isn't on JJ. I totally agree with you and I think people are getting lost in the numbers. While not amazing the PK has been ok last week and the goals they gave up were tough legit goals. Like it to be better but I think a lot of bad luck and to many penalties. Give a team 8 chances they will score on one. Tonight it looked as bad as it did against the Isles a few weeks back and the common thread was Fayne not playing.

Why this thread and all the other stuff is just knee jerk crap. Tonight sucked because Fayne didn't play. He is a linchpin to this defense whether people want to admit or not. Our defense and PK has played its worst games with him out.

Yayo does need to start producing some points. He doesn't have to turn into a goal scorer but points need to start coming out of his line. First though let that line be goon free. If Yayo stil can't produce assists or anything then you maybe think about giving Loki a look.

elias026

Jul 12, 2006
montreal

the last 5 games are pk is at 62% thats pretty bad, I think its are biggest flaw lately

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
give Josefson some decent wingers for once first

His winger (Butler) actually creates most of the offense for that line and the play declines when Barch or Josefson have the puck. He's also been given opportunities on the wing with Zajac and Kovalchuk and hasn't produced. I don't see why they wouldn't swap in Loktionov for him to get a feel for which player makes more of an impact.

apice3*

There is nothing more for Josefson to do in Albany. He's not going to go down there for a couple months and all of a sudden know how to score at the NHL level.

He's fine for his role right now - a 4th line center. What he needs to improve on right now is his faceoffs. The scoring will come with patience.

Also, I don't understand why people insist on sending Barch down. That's not going to happen, and if by some strange turn of events it does, Janssen will be recalled in his spot.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't hate Barch either, he's fine for what he is. I wouldn't mind him being the extra forward and putting him in against Philly/Rangers/Pens. But I'd rather put guys out there who can create something, especially given that we have a 4th line as our 3rd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad