Prospect Info: Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 3 year ELC signed

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think there's a better chance that Thompson ends up in the ECHL than JBD getting passed by him on the depth chart...

JBD reminds me of DeMelo with a little better offensive instincts and skill set. I don't see him becoming a top 2 dman unless it's in the same sense as Methot playing with Karlsson or DeMelo with Chabot, but i do think he will be the kind of guy that will be able to play a support role on any pairing.

Also, Kleven and Sanderson both play the left side, it's unlikely they'd take away any of JBD's icetime

Possible if LT plays in the AHL this season he’s closer to the NHL than JBD. LT is also D+2 while JBD may not see the AHL until D+4?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
i think theres only one RD in the top 5 d men in the draft. I think.,

Any thoughts on Corson Ceulemans? Does he have a shot at climbing into the low teens/late single digits? The shorter the season gets, the less confident I am in us picking really high (although I'd still bet on it).

We obviously have some presence in & comfort with the AJHL. I dont really see us needing an elite RHD... but adding another guy who has the ability to play top 4 and be a dynamic presence on the PP would be a huge addition.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Any thoughts on Corson Ceulemans? Does he have a shot at climbing into the low teens/late single digits? The shorter the season gets, the less confident I am in us picking really high (although I'd still bet on it).

We obviously have some presence in & comfort with the AJHL. I dont really see us needing an elite RHD... but adding another guy who has the ability to play top 4 and be a dynamic presence on the PP would be a huge addition.
I’ve read almost zero on him and seen even less.

I have seen him in the top 10 tho in some early rankings I think

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Possible if LT plays in the AHL this season he’s closer to the NHL than JBD. LT is also D+2 while JBD may not see the AHL until D+4?
Yeah, I'm basing my comment on their respective level of play not what leauge they are playing in. Jordan Murray played in the AHL but isn't higher on the org depth chart than either of them imo.

If Thomson finds his game in the AHL, great, but he hasn't done much to inspire confidence since (and including) last years world juniors.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, I'm basing my comment on their respective level of play not what leauge they are playing in. Jordan Murray played in the AHL but isn't higher on the org depth chart than either of them imo.

If Thomson finds his game in the AHL, great, but he hasn't done much to inspire confidence since (and including) last years world juniors.

Fair enough - I liked Thomson’s U20 slightly more than JBD’s. He’s meaner and more physical which I think will translate more to their eventual slot. I think (fingers crossed) that LT is getting treated like a player leaving soon rather than receiving the normal investment we would see in development.

Liga has to be considered significant harder than the NCHC so it’s difficult to say one is playing well and the other not well.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Fair enough - I liked Thomson’s U20 slightly more than JBD’s. He’s meaner and more physical which I think will translate more to their eventual slot. I think (fingers crossed) that LT is getting treated like a player leaving soon rather than receiving the normal investment we would see in development.

Liga has to be considered significant harder than the NCHC so it’s difficult to say one is playing well and the other not well.

I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion. Thomson's WJC was 2010 Cowen level bad while JBD had a solid but unspectacular tournament.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion. Thomson's WJC was 2010 Cowen level bad while JBD had a solid but unspectacular tournament.

i didn’t think LT was a terrible and I think JBD had a hard time def ending his peer group.

I think they are close - I give the edge to LT and I don’t think a year in the AHL will hurt him. JBD’s role appears to be blending out of the picture at UND.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
i didn’t think LT was a terrible and I think JBD had a hard time def ending his peer group.

I think they are close - I give the edge to LT and I don’t think a year in the AHL will hurt him. JBD’s role appears to be blending out of the picture at UND.
What are you saying here, because on the surface it seems you are saying JBD is being passed on UNDs depth chart. If that’s what you are saying that’s just a dumb comment.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

He's an assistant captain playing on the top D pairing on the best team in US college hockey. What are you talking about... How you can make that conclusion after 3 games is beyond me..

We all know that you like Lassi more than Jacob but there's absolutely nothing performance wise to back up the claim that LT will or has outperformed JBD.

JBD's role with team Canada increased as the tourny went on last year to the point where he was the 2nd most trusted defensemen behind Drysdale in the final games.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What are you saying here, because on the surface it seems you are saying JBD is being passed on UNDs depth chart. If that’s what you are saying that’s just a dumb comment.

Dumb ? There is already chatter that Sanderson may be the teams best dman “soon”... JBD was a 2 last year ? He may be a 3 or 4 on that team regardless if he shots left or right.

I wouldn’t go around calling people Dumb based on Sanderson > JBD in the near future.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He's an assistant captain playing on the top D pairing on the best team in US college hockey. What are you talking about... How you can make that conclusion after 3 games is beyond me..

We all know that you like Lassi more than Jacob but there's absolutely nothing performance wise to back up the claim that LT will or has outperformed JBD.

JBD's role with team Canada increased as the tourny went on last year to the point where he was the 2nd most trusted defensemen behind Drysdale in the final games.

For one I said a year in the AHL could put him a head ... our internet scouts here don’t believe it but LT could be a head now ... there some serious comprehension problems going on around here.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Dumb ? There is already chatter that Sanderson may be the teams best dman “soon”... JBD was a 2 last year ? He may be a 3 or 4 on that team regardless if he shots left or right.

I wouldn’t go around calling people Dumb based on Sanderson > JBD in the near future.
I didn’t call you dumb. I said it was a dumb comment, and when looking at facts it is a dumb comment.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
For one I said a year in the AHL could put him a head ... our internet scouts here don’t believe it but LT could be a head now ... there some serious comprehension problems going on around here.
There is no factual evidence to support your claim. When they played in the same tournament JBD was far better.

The player development coach of the Sens considers JBD a more advanced prospect and ill take his opinion seriously.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There is no factual evidence to support your claim. When they played in the same tournament JBD was far better.

The player development coach of the Sens considers JBD a more advanced prospect and ill take his opinion seriously.

Oh Geez ... there is no factual evidence about JBD being better. Hey, they play in two different leagues ... I think one is regressing a bit and one isn’t as bad as people think ... that’s about it .

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Oh Geez ... there is no factual evidence about JBD being better. Hey, they play in two different leagues ... I think one is regressing a bit and one isn’t as bad as people think ... that’s about it .
An easy piece of factual evidence is their respective play again the same playing field at the World Junior tournament last year. JBD looked significantly farther ahead the LT when evaluating skill and development as a defencemen. This was echoed by professional scouts of the Senators when asked about where prospects were in their respective development.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
An easy piece of factual evidence is their respective play again the same playing field at the World Junior tournament last year. JBD looked significantly farther ahead the LT when evaluating skill and development as a defencemen. This was echoed by professional scouts of the Senators when asked about where prospects were in their respective development.

Sure ... one also played on a much stronger team.

Again ... I said I think Lassi’s development could pass JBD if he get a good year in the AHL....

A player heading into a second year of AHL may he ahead of a rookie

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I think the Demelo projection is pretty fair ...not sure if we get a 24 year old Demelo or the 29 year old one ...

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
For one I said a year in the AHL could put him a head... our internet scouts here don’t believe it but LT could be a head now ... there some serious comprehension problems going on around here.
I mean yeah, let's start with your comprehension of what you previously wrote:

"i didn’t think LT was a terrible and I think JBD had a hard time defending his peer group.

I think they are close - I give the edge to LT and I don’t think a year in the AHL will hurt him. JBD’s role appears to be blending out of the picture at UND"

Your fascination with spending time in the AHL automatically meaning they will be ahead is really something too. For all we know LT could struggle with the transition to NA hockey.

JBD would likely be in the AHL already had UND closed out the season last year but instead he's playing steady minutes on the top pair of the best team in college hockey (or 2nd depending on how you rank BC). Meanwhile LT is struggling to crack the Liiga top 6 and has not shown much progression since his draft year.

You could argue that some AHL might help develop him and bridge the gap between the two but right now it's not close. Also JBD has the advantage of already playing on a NA size ice, something Lassi will have to adapt to.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

Uh, that's wayyyyy different than JBD’s role appears to be blending out of the picture at UND... (what does that even mean?)

You always seem to move the goalposts when someone calls out your ridiculous comment. Even if Sanderson surpasses JBD in terms of skill (he should) he theoretically would then be promoted to the top pairing where he would play.... wait for it..... Jacob Bernard-Docker on his right side.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The actual player development coach has said as recently as August that JBD is a more advanced prospect. This guy watches all their games and speaks with them weekly, has far more insight into their development than any of us. The FACT is the org has JBD ahead of Thomson no matter what you think.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
By many accounts his upside is a solid two-way #2 dman, and he is looking every bit as good right now as say Noah Dobson who was drafted much higher in the 1st round.

Whoa!

If we have a defense prospect who compares to Dobson it's Jake Sanderson. IF we have one. At this point in their careers that would be a compliment to Sanderson. And that's not meant as a slight to Jake.

JBD isn't in Dobson's league as a prospect.

Reactions: Sweatred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad