Prospect Info: Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 3 year ELC signed

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
JBD has some Reddenesque flashes in him. The only thing makes me crinch and will make coaches go bonkers. JBD likes to hummer the puck at the net without finding a free shooting lane. Teams will cover him to block the shots in NHL right away to explore this weakness and it will open to breakaway opportunities. The first thing D. J. Smith will tell him, to stop doing it. Or he will not see any power play time.

Reactions: HzH

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is not the place to discuss BLM protests.

It is notable that JBD participated, but discussion beyond acknowledging that participation exists is beyond the scope of an HF thread and will be deleted as political.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
JBD has some Reddenesque flashes in him. The only thing makes me crinch and will make coaches go bonkers. JBD likes to hummer the puck at the net without finding a free shooting lane. Teams will cover him to block the shots in NHL right away to explore this weakness and it will open to breakaway opportunities. The first thing D. J. Smith will tell him, to stop doing it. Or he will not see any power play time.

He also has a shot that while being good at the college level, I don't think will be anything special at the NHL level.

Definitely shoots way too much.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He also has a shot that while being good at the college level, I don't think will be anything special at the NHL level.

Definitely shoots way too much.
I get this point. He's the kind of player that could be something special at the NHL level or might just be a replacement level guy on the third pairing.

Praying for Suter, hoping for Hamhius, expecting Preissing.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I get this point. He's the kind of player that could be something special at the NHL level or might just be a replacement level guy on the third pairing.

Praying for Suter, hoping for Hamhius, expecting Preissing.

He didn’t show any offence at the WJC last year ... he wasn’t used in that role but it was also apparent he didn’t have much to offer in best on best within his cohort.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He didn’t show any offence at the WJC last year ... he wasn’t used in that role but it was also apparent he didn’t have much to offer in best on best within his cohort.
I think he's progressing a bit in that regard and is clearly a huge part of his UND team. He's got a good shot. I'd like to see him continue to develop that and maybe he can progress into a 35 point guy.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think he's progressing a bit in that regard and is clearly a huge part of his UND team. He's got a good shot. I'd like to see him continue to develop that and maybe he can progress into a 35 point guy.

I hope so ... two games in I’m not seeing much ... you ?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don’t really give a crap if he ever hits 30 pts. The obsession about point totals for D on this forum is crazy. Chris Phillips highest point total was 26, Vochenkov hit 19 points, not every top 4 guy needs offence. Winning a fantasy league doesn’t get a Cup.

those guys were two of the best defensive defenceman of their decade.

I haven't really seen much evidence that Docker is going to be a dominant defensive player in the NHL, especially since a lot of good defensive players in lower leagues can look like pylons in the NHL, where even the 4th liners are junior stars.

anyway the thing about his shooting habit isn't about his points (in NCAA 90 percent of his production seems to come because of his shot), to me it feels like a lack of hockey iq thing. And I realize i seem to be contradicting myself.

I mean it obviously works in NCAA with the amount of space he gets to shoot but I seriously doubt the way he produces in college is going to translate in the NHL. He's gonna need to adapt this part of his game but i feel like he's doubling down on it.

He should still make the NHL but i think we need to pump the breaks on penciling him in our top 4.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I listened to yesterdays game on the radio. I didnt get the sense he was making mistakes (but its the radio). I thought his last season was pretty solid from highlight videos and the bits i caught.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
those guys were two of the best defensive defenceman of their decade.

I haven't really seen much evidence that Docker is going to be a dominant defensive player in the NHL, especially since a lot of good defensive players in lower leagues can look like pylons in the NHL, where even the 4th liners are junior stars.

anyway the thing about his shooting habit isn't about his points (in NCAA 90 percent of his production seems to come because of his shot), to me it feels like a lack of hockey iq thing. And I realize i seem to be contradicting myself.

I mean it obviously works in NCAA with the amount of space he gets to shoot but I seriously doubt the way he produces in college is going to translate in the NHL. He's gonna need to adapt this part of his game but i feel like he's doubling down on it cuz it works.

He should still make the NHL but i think we need to pump the breaks on penciling him in our top 4.
I don’t get the sense he lacks hockey IQ. I think he’s fine in that regard. Good skater, good puck mover

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
By many accounts his upside is a solid two-way #2 dman, and he is looking every bit as good right now as say Noah Dobson who was drafted much higher in the 1st round.

Reactions: NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He’s definitely got his role. A very simple defender or at least that’s what he feels his role calls for. I don’t think he’s got any elite tool to be a top pairing guy. He’s good at a lot of things. Great at none right now. Maybe he will excel with better players around him or even a better partner. (Sanderson/chabot). I don’t particular like his current d partner. Or haven’t the last two games. could also be the added pressure this year. His goals and point last year weren’t unimpressive.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He won't be someone to carry his partner but everyone likes to play with a smart, mobile player who consistently makes the simple play and keeps the fire drills to a minimum - this is what I see with JBD right now.

Chabot won't have to worry about covering for him all over the ice once JBD gets used to the pace.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Assuming Thomson’s coming over for a year in the AHL (Mann) I’d say JBD is at risk of being passed on the depth charts.

When Sanderson and Klevin come back they will start to chip away at his ice time. JBD could end up as a 3-4 DMAN at UND let alone the NHL.

I think we should be open to the idea that he may be a pedestrian 5-6 dman in Ottawa. Hopefully a good 5-6 dman.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Assuming Thomson’s coming over for a year in the AHL (Mann) I’d say JBD is at risk of being passed on the depth charts.

When Sanderson and Klevin come back they will start to chip away at his ice time. JBD could end up as a 3-4 DMAN at UND let alone the NHL.

I think we should be open to the idea that he may be a pedestrian 5-6 dman in Ottawa. Hopefully a good 5-6 dman.
I think there's a better chance that Thompson ends up in the ECHL than JBD getting passed by him on the depth chart...

JBD reminds me of DeMelo with a little better offensive instincts and skill set. I don't see him becoming a top 2 dman unless it's in the same sense as Methot playing with Karlsson or DeMelo with Chabot, but i do think he will be the kind of guy that will be able to play a support role on any pairing.

Also, Kleven and Sanderson both play the left side, it's unlikely they'd take away any of JBD's icetime

Last edited:

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I think there's a better chance that Thompson ends up in the ECHL than JBD getting passed by him on the depth chart...

JBD reminds me of DeMelo with a little better offensive instincts and skill set. I don't see him becoming a top 2 dman unless it's in the same sense as Methot playing with Karlsson or DeMelo with Chabot, but i do think he will be the kind of guy that will be able to play a support role on any pairing.

Also, Kleven and Sanderson both play the left side, it's unlikely they'd take away any of JBD's icetime

Personally I think we will solve our hole at 1RD by drafting a top pairing RD this coming 2021 draft. Which would slot JBD perfectly on the 2nd pairing with Sanderson.

I think a lot of people are undervaluing JBD because of his lack of points and flashy skills/offense. He will be a smooth skating transition type defensemen that will make more good plays than bad ones. His defensive IQ is just fine and I feel that Sanderson's poise on D will rub off on him this year at UND.

IMO there's not much of a chance that Thomson passes JBD on the depth charts.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Personally I think we will solve our hole at 1RD by drafting a top pairing RD this coming 2021 draft. Which would slot JBD perfectly on the 2nd pairing with Sanderson.

I think a lot of people are undervaluing JBD because of his lack of points and flashy skills/offense. He will be a smooth skating transition type defensemen that will make more good plays than bad ones. His defensive IQ is just fine and I feel that Sanderson's poise on D will rub off on him this year at UND.

His production last year was pretty solid for a 19 year old dman playing in college.

Reactions: bert

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
His production last year was pretty solid for a 19 year old dman playing in college.

It was fine production, no complaints here. I probably should have said his projected points at the NHL level but his college stats were good. That and his role with the WJC squad increased as the tourny went along to the point where he was one of the more trusted players on the team in the final games.

I'm higher on JBD than most.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

i think theres only one RD in the top 5 d men in the draft. I think.,

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4