Prospect Info: Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 3 year ELC signed

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
thats fair.

Thomson was def considered more of a reach tho iirc. hopefully that one works out, but im not overly confident in the player.

FWIW, McKenzie had him at #30. NHL Central scouting had him at #15. But he was quite a bit further down on some other lists though.

JBD was at #46 with Bob, and #33 with NHL central scouting.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
His QO has to be a 5% bump over his current base salary [832,500] so that's 874,125, but the Senators can make that a two-way QO because the player hasn't reached the games played threshold for a one-way QO.

Once the QO expires, the Senators can offer him a league minimum - or near league minimum - one-way deal.

He'll end up somewhere around 1 year, 800k.
Ya, I guess it's the difference between AAV and base salary that trips me up. His AAV is $925k this year. I do know that AAV includes bonuses, but I tend to forget about that part. Not sure if I've managed to explain that very well.

And on the games played, he needs 80 games played to reach RFA status I think? I see he's played some NHL games for the last 3 years (including this one), but the number of games per year is quite low.

If his contract is a 2-way next year (the 1st year), does the 2-way aspect make it so he can't be picked up on waivers next year?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
JBD will be a regular NHL player, a reliable defensive D-man. He doesn't have the skillset and physical gifts to be a top pair shutdown D-man but he'll be a safe type for a NHL team, good on the PK, 10-20 pts per season

Thomson I am not as sure but he should be able to play in the NHL based on his offensive skill. How much he'll play and how long he'll stay will depend on how he is able to learn to defensive game at the NHL level. He'll need to be able to play it at a good enough level to survive in the NHL

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Maxence Guennette 6'3" RD (Cap Friendly) with a rookie season of 48 games & 19 pts followed up with a 32 game season so far & 18 pts. He seems to be getting better & could be a bit of a late bloomer who hopefully starts to come on. Just in case one or both of JBD & Thomson can't cut it, although my guess is JBD should be a serviceable defensive D.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maxence Guennette 6'3" RD (Cap Friendly) with a rookie season of 48 games & 19 pts followed up with a 32 game season so far & 18 pts. He seems to be getting better & could be a bit of a late bloomer who hopefully starts to come on. Just in case one or both of JBD & Thomson can't cut it, although my guess is JBD should be a serviceable defensive D.
Guenette has a chance to pass them. He has to be consistent.

Reactions: aragorn and Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bobby and York really seem to like him, think he is ready to learn on the job here, hoping he's back and the demotion is just temporary

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Seeing how well Kleven played with familiar faces Sanderson and Pinto, it maybe time for JBD to be called up. Lassi's recent game rankings and stats jump out more, and Guenette's for that matter, but JBD is likely a more apt call up in Hamonic's spot, surrounded by other UND grads.

Reactions: aragorn

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't see a future with this kid. Potential bust unfortunately

lol this comes a week ago after I said this in the Belleville thread, after JBD was named D-man of the year :

Outsiders kept telling me that JBD was a bust... as "he can't crack a terrible roster"

That reason was also thrown for Brannstrom before... and probably many other guys

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
lol this comes a week ago after I said this in the Belleville thread, after JBD was named D-man of the year :

Outsiders kept telling me that JBD was a bust... as "he can't crack a terrible roster"

That reason was also thrown for Brannstrom before... and probably many other guys
We have enough small Dman. Nothing about JBD is remarkable enough to be an NHL full timer

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
JBD will be a regular NHL player, a reliable defensive D-man. He doesn't have the skillset and physical gifts to be a top pair shutdown D-man but he'll be a safe type for a NHL team, good on the PK, 10-20 pts per season

Thomson I am not as sure but he should be able to play in the NHL based on his offensive skill. How much he'll play and how long he'll stay will depend on how he is able to learn to defensive game at the NHL level. He'll need to be able to play it at a good enough level to survive in the NHL
Thomson seems to be a better skater based on my limited viewings. I thought he did well in his few games in the NHL and I want to see more of him.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Mr hot take is back

Not really.

We're talking about a 6'0 D that doesn't skate or move the puck very well and has a grand total of 17 points in 133 games at the professional level.

Was a stupid pick in the 1st round. No idea what they were thinking taking him where they did.

Maybe he can carve out a career as a bottom pairing guy but there's no guarantee of that.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Thomson seems to be a better skater based on my limited viewings. I thought he did well in his few games in the NHL and I want to see more of him.
Could rent a place in Belleville and catch the games live. Best way to scout a player.

For 2 seasons in a row JBD was a 1st over the boards shut down guy. Thomson is a more fluid skater, has a better shot, can put up more points but is not as reliable defensively and Guenette started to eat into some of Thomson's PP time. Don't count Guenette out among the 3 of them.

Reactions: aragorn and OD99

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not really.

We're talking about a 6'0 D that doesn't skate or move the puck very well and has a grand total of 17 points in 133 games at the professional level.

Was a stupid pick in the 1st round. No idea what they were thinking taking him where they did.

Maybe he can carve out a career as a bottom pairing guy but there's no guarantee of that.
Likely what loads of fans and pundits thought, that he’d be a mobile top 4 D

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Likely what loads of fans and pundits thought, that he’d be a mobile top 4 D

Who looked at JBD's skating and thought he was mobile? He's never been a good skater.

Consensus 2nd round pick that the Sens reached for. Did the same with Thomson a year later.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Who looked at JBD's skating and thought he was mobile? He's never been a good skater.

Consensus 2nd round pick that the Sens reached for. Did the same with Thomson a year later.
I mean, even yourself after the draft.

Preferred many playere to Tkachuk at 4th OVR, but I loved the move down from 22nd OVR to 26th.

Got two strong skating potential top 4 OFD in Bernard-Docker and Tychonick using that pick.

One of many similar scouting reports leading up to the 2018 draft. I watched him for a week in Truro and his skating was fantastic, which at the very least a few of the NHL scouts there agreed.

“Bernard-Docker is an outstanding skater. He has very good speed in both directions. His first step and his acceleration are outstanding as he reaches that top speed in just a few strides. The stride itself is extremely smooth. He can appear to be gliding above the ice. Bernard-Docker also generates the power to fight through checks and be strong on the pucks. His agility and edgework are strong. He changes directions quickly and does this both going forward and backward. Bernard-Docker makes sharp, smooth pivots. He transitions quickly from offence to defence and vice-versa. The strong-skating ability is the key to every part of Bernard-Docker’s game. It is this foundation that allows him to be an excellent two-way defenceman.”

“There’s a lot to like about Bernard-Docker’s game. He’s a very good offensive player, boasting strong situational awareness, good hockey sense, high-end mobility and a cannon of a slap shot from the point.”

Recruites
“He is strong on his skates and possesses a very fluid stride, shifting gears and accelerating with ease. He shows a special calmness when skating with the puck, making confident turns and crossovers to get away from opposing players, and he hits a nice top gear when he is given enough time and space. His ability to quickly transition from skating backwards to forwards is quite impressive. He shows keen awareness while retreating defensively or patrolling his own blueline, watching for bad passes that he can pick off and immediately turn in the other direction.“

He hasn’t worked out the way many wanted him too, and those we passed on have looked great. Looking back with hindsight is easy, it isn’t as easy on draft day with 17/18 year olds.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I mean, even yourself after the draft.

He hasn’t worked out the way many wanted him too, and those we passed on have looked great. Looking back with hindsight is easy, it isn’t as easy on draft day with 17/18 year olds.

I was just trying to be positive at the time. JBD was not considered an above average skater at any point. At best it was considered average/passable.

Actually neither was Tychonick for that matter. Not sure what I was smoking when I posted that.

It was a dumb pick from a scouting staff that tried to be the smartest scouts in the room far too often.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
One of many similar scouting reports leading up to the 2018 draft. I watched him for a week in Truro and his skating was fantastic.

“Bernard-Docker is an outstanding skater. He has very good speed in both directions. His first step and his acceleration are outstanding as he reaches that top speed in just a few strides. The stride itself is extremely smooth. He can appear to be gliding above the ice. Bernard-Docker also generates the power to fight through checks and be strong on the pucks. His agility and edgework are strong. He changes directions quickly and does this both going forward and backward. Bernard-Docker makes sharp, smooth pivots. He transitions quickly from offence to defence and vice-versa. The strong-skating ability is the key to every part of Bernard-Docker’s game. It is this foundation that allows him to be an excellent two-way defenceman.”

I've said this before and I'll say it again, online scouting reports, especially from outlets like LastWordOnHockey, almost always provide glowing praise of players and don't look at how their skills project compared to NHLers, instead they talk about how their skills compare to their competition pre-draft.

But I remember arguing this with you back when JBD was in college and you said his skating wasn't an issue, so we may just view his skating ability differently.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I've said this before and I'll say it again, online scouting reports, especially from outlets like LastWordOnHockey, almost always provide glowing praise of players and don't look at how their skills project compared to NHLers, instead they talk about how their skills compare to their competition pre-draft.

But I remember arguing this with you back when JBD was in college and you said his skating wasn't an issue, so we may just view his skating ability differently.
I’m not arguing one way or the other about JBD or what he’s turned into. His skating was viewed as an asset, basically unanimously, prior to the draft. Mann mentions it, McKenzie and Button mentioned it, essentially every scouting report on the player mentioned it. It was one of the reasons he jumped 40 spots in the NHLCS rankings. Saying that he was never considered a mobile D, or strong skating D, is just factually incorrect.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Given the scarcity of RD, i have no issues at all taking a shot on JBD there. Or Thomson. Hope he works out, even as a good 3rd pair would be a win.

Reactions: OD99 and bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad