GDT: Jackets @ Wild, 7PM | 3AM WE'RE STREAKING (and it's not a losing streak) EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Well then ownership is the problem.

You don't go from being entirely mediocre year after year to being a contender just like that.

I think we're demonstrating that perfectly.

We've got the damn talent for it at this point, and that's all due to GMCF being able to actually do a good job.

The problem is we keep playing like we don't give a ****.

I agree that the team would have been better off going full rebuild. But you can't fire ownership.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I think his biggest mistake was signing Suter and Parise and trying to skip a rebuild. That's what this team needed more than anything, a good, true rebuild.
Completely disagree on Suter and Parise. Still a great signing. Biggest mistake was going with a rookie coach the SECOND time around.

sufferingwildfan

Jan 19, 2015
Suter needs some rest

Defensemen TOI

Suter: 30:11
Brodin: 21:05
Spurgeon: 20:11
Scandella: 19:51
Folin: 13:08
Dumba: 11:15

So glad Yeo felt comfortable using three pairs tonight, what a difference it makes.

I agree. Suter is overused. He is a great defenseman, but not when he plays 30+ minutes a game. -3 again? Really? He should not be on the PP, he should play 23 minutes a game, and play like he cares. His "deliberate" style slows the team, and we have a fast team! We won two games without him. He's back. We lose.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I agree. Suter is overused. He is a great defenseman, but not when he plays 30+ minutes a game. -3 again? Really? He should not be on the PP, he should play 23 minutes a game, and play like he cares. His "deliberate" style slows the team, and we have a fast team! We won two games without him. He's back. We lose.

Welcome!

I don't think it's entirely fair to point to the fact that we lost two games without Suter as a knock against him, though. Not exactly stiff competition in those two...

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Suter is fine.

IMO, his play style does not lend itself well to a good PP; he is good at keeping the puck in however, gaining the zone, and passing. His wrister is ok, doesn't have a slapper, and he slows the play down - not good for the PP.

He has also basically always been like this so I don't get why the **** we keep expecting something different.

The problem right now is he is being overused, again. That and Suter is feeling a lot of pressure to produce which is why he is making uncharacteristic mistakes.

Yet our coach only continues to over rely on who the most established players are. Probably in a large part because he doesn't know how help players become established and develop their game. He certainly has shown no signs of any ability to do this.

He's in over his damned head and needs to go.

And before some Yeo supporter comes on here whining about people having a harsh opinion about him, ****ing Ovie is a +10 this year and still scoring at almost a 40g pace. He ended last year somewhere around -35. A coach matters and not just a little bit.

It's not accidental Forsberg is doing as well as he is this year either.

It's also not a coincidence that the Wild are and have been as inconsistent as they are for four years now, all the while boasting a pos PP. Which Richards seemed to do better with worse players - and even Koivu was on that PP.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was about to post that Yeo seems to be out of ideas to motivate this team, then realized I said the exact same thing around this time last year.

The Wild as they are now seem to be devoid of the "it" factor that all successful teams have. I thought they found it in last year's playoffs, and would be able to build on that this year, but for whatever reason it isn't happening. If the Wild lose the next game, the Wild managemnet have to do some heavy thinking during the all star game about the direction the team is going in.

- fire Yeo, get a new coach to light a fire under the team and squeak into the playoffs? Maybe make a trade to increase their chances of success this year?

Or

- write off this season, move a vet or two to a contender(Cooke, Brodziak, or?). Have a temporary coach or keep Yeo till the end of the season, then do a serious search for a new coach?

My preference would be the first choice. I don't think we're bad enough to do a successful tank, and besides, losing is a hard habit to break out of. We need to develop a habit of winning here. What's the worst that can happen if we fire Yeo? That we lose a bunch of games and finish out of the playoffs? We're doing that already.

I have some sympathy for Yeo because he had to deal with a crappy goaltending situation, but the emergence of Dubnyk has eliminated that as an excuse. It's past time for his team to perform.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Interesting decision for tomorrow's game: do you start Dubnyk, who has been playing well, or do you go with Kuemper, who is now healthy but hasn't played in two weeks. Backstrom is not really an option.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Remember two years ago when Backstrom was still a good goalie and Yeo ran him into the ground by playing him all the freaking time? Now he is doing it to Suter. Given how long he is signed for, we can't allow him to do that.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
What a lackluster of a game. Yawn. It's normal not to fire on all cylinders in every game of an 82-game season, but the problem is they can't afford to, not after their spectacular tailspin. Ice is getting thin under Yeo.

edit. One thing I can't stand anymore is Mike Greenlay and his eternal apologism. He would sugarcoat a ******* nuclear explosion on the ice. "Oh they clearly intended to have some bang there, just to have some momentum but then something went wrong" Just shut up man, we can see the game too. It's an insult to viewers that you always find an excuse for underperforming millionaires on the ice playing a freaking game with sticks and a black rubber disc.

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Suter was -2, not -3 but yes, the point still stands. Honestly, I'm thinking he should have taken some time off when his dad died. He's seemed exhausted lately, even in interviews but I'm not sure if it's physical at all. It could be the mumps taking its toll, but mental exhaustion seems more likely at this point.

Us making the playoffs this season is not going to happen, barring a miracle. The hole's just too deep. I've made my peace with that already. We're not bad enough to pick in the top 5 and don't have many sellable assets. Firing Yeo wouldn't change much at this point (and are there even better options available? Not convinced there are), so I say stick with him until the offseason and then assess whether you keep him or not.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I'm apathetic leaning on hating this team. Apathetic cuz it's typical wild suckage, but hatred cuz we are wasting our window and show no signs of growth

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I'm apathetic leaning on hating this team. Apathetic cuz it's typical wild suckage, but hatred cuz we are wasting our window and show no signs of growth

But that's what it is and that's what it will be. Our highest point was probably last playoffs and the 2nd round showing. Now it's back to barely missing/marking playoffs and drafting mid round busts.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
last night we certainly had our chances. a handful of defensive fubars cost us. this year hasn't gone as plannned , if we make a few tweeks next year could go much better. given wild history you could say things always go wrong but on paper this is a decent team. next year we could be in the preds position!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We've got the damn talent for it at this point, and that's all due to GMCF being able to actually do a good job.

The problem is we keep playing like we don't give a ****.

I agree that the team would have been better off going full rebuild. But you can't fire ownership.

We have talent because ownership signed a lot of checks but we don't have any depth or ability to really do anything via trades. The talent we have was due to one good trade and a bunch of signings plus what was already here. Outside of Brodin, which Wild prospect has made an impact to the team for more than a year?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Remember two years ago when Backstrom was still a good goalie and Yeo ran him into the ground by playing him all the freaking time? Now he is doing it to Suter. Given how long he is signed for, we can't allow him to do that.

Yes, and Koivu before that.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Fontaine/Carter/Cooke looked good. Scandella had some great moments in the first half of the game. Brodin took it in the zone a few times, which was nice to see. Nino finished some checks. Beyond that the only other Minnesota players who looked good were the Mighty Mites in the first intermission.

That first period was something else. I still maintain that they need to hand out copies of Our Bodies, Our Selves so the team isn't so afraid of first periods. And then that four minute power play. Who doesn't occasionally get mixed up and mistake their power play for a Washington Generals scrimmage? That could happen to anyone. My brother thought the ice girls should have swept the Wild off the ice vaudeville hook style.

Streetcandy

Jan 9, 2015
We have talent because ownership signed a lot of checks but we don't have any depth or ability to really do anything via trades. The talent we have was due to one good trade and a bunch of signings plus what was already here. Outside of Brodin, which Wild prospect has made an impact to the team for more than a year?

What was already here? The players that he inherited are the two biggest issues on the team (Koivu and Backstrom) and using hindsight Scandella was probably the best prospect in our system. Fletcher is far from perfect but he's done a much better job than what you're giving him credit for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad