GDT: Jackets vs. Flames. The return of legend Dalton Prout

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
7. Anderson penalty
8. Werenski and Jones both fall down.
9. Panarin lame turnover, Savard out of position.

Goalies couldn't stop a thing.

After the goalies, who get an F-, Dubois and Panarin were the worst of a bad bunch defensively.

Somehow Murray was +3 and Foligno and Nutivaara were +2, though all those guys were on the disastrous PK tonight too.

Early on in the Flames broadcast they quoted Torts as saying Dubois was their best player this year, and I thought of his giveaway passes and thought he isn't nearly good enough. Then tonight he put all of his bad tendencies on full display.

We don't always agree MM, but I do admire your ability to stay close to centered over most CBJ related topics, even as a fan. It's something I strive to do better, and I think you do a good job of it.

Reactions: Palm Tree

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Terrible.

What's the narrative now, again?

Definitely seems like just how terrible Bob looked in net is being downplayed significantly. And its NOT something new to this year. His 5 or so games of good play change nothing.

We were up 4 to 1.

You guys talk about Korpisalo being "all over the place", in the crease, do you watch your baby Bob out there? And I'm sorry, but some of those goals looked "questionable", I'm not even really sure what I mean by that, but they did. And again, its not new. You guys forget just how bad it got, for Korpisalo to be given the starts he was getting and his 1 period starters role against Detroit. At this point in the season, Korpisalo is still bottom 3-4-5 in goalie "playing time" in the league which will affect his "rhythm" along with his mathematical stats.

Its (been) interesting, at the very least, to see the ups and downs of Bobrovsky.

He's getting traded.

Reactions: Facifer

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

:skeptic: :whaaa?: :squint:

:huh:

"IES"...?? :eyeroll:

:loony:

.... did you literally not watch the game?

Korpisalo came in for Bob in relief and gave up a goal on 2 shots.

And it was a critical goal to give up considering how into it our crowd was getting again.

Last time I checked, giving up a goal was giving up a goal and.. nothing to overlook.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Surprised Torts wasn't more fiery in his postgame presser. He said Calgary scored on 9 of their 11 scoring chances, so it was a one-off type of game. We'll see.

BTW, the Metro is such a dumpster fire. Didn't see that coming. I know the Pens will turn it on, but so many mediocre teams thus far.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Out of all this I'm just worried about special teams.

The Jackets need to set a goal for themselves to be in the top-15 in both PP and PK efficiency in the second half of the season.

I think they can do it for the PK. May need to make a trade to boost the PP.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Either they need to turn Werenski into a forward or stop this "rover" nonsense. It's not working.
I think it's just time to separate him and Seth again. Werenski has been bad defensively for as long as I can remember, I'm not sure what causes it, but I think it would be best to separate them.

Right now, they're both playing like they want to create offense above all else, which is a bad recipe for when a breakout turnover happens. In that situation, at least one of them is out of position trying to rush up ice prematurely. I'd be happy to have 2 50+ point defensemen, but it might be time to switch it up. Considering what's already been tried, maybe it's time to try this combo:

Nuti-Jones
Werenski-Murray
Savard-Harrington/Kukan

I think Nuti can handle it.

Reactions: Fairwhether

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The team is , what it is . A team that will get knocked out of the first round of the playoff. Team has talent , runs a bad system, has a coach that won’t adapt to today’s game , won’t adjust his safe is death strategy . Doesn’t develop , our young skilled wingers . Seems to have now squandered the great pickup in Duclair . Won’t play his depth . Trade Bob now , get a solid young goalie that can compete with Merzlikins for the job next year . Trade Wennberg, and get a legit option down the middle to complement Pld. Start kicking the tires on what return you can get for Werenski. With Jones , Nuti, you have 2 really good offensive defenseman , Murray is great all around , Garikov will settle in instantly , great defensive player . Most of our defensive deficiencies currently are not personell, but rather system related . Bring in a coach that will utilize and develop our talent . What we have currently , is a disaster , for the future of our franchise . You can’t simply toss aside skilled wingers , that can’t play a Josh Anderson / Pld style . It’s mandatory your develop your skill .

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I watched the first period, not sure what happened later. Looked like we were very much in control. I guess Bob was finally pulled after 8 goals? I don't care if the team was the cause of the goals, you don't leave a goalie out there to get thumped around like that. Part of the reason to pull a goalie is to try and change momentum.

Torts is back to overplaying Bob. It is what it is. I was hoping he adopted a different method of handling our goalie situation, but it seems like he's right back to his bad habits.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Tort's is clueless tonight! Bad Luck, really that's what you're going with!
There were "bad" everywhere. Too bad he didn't mention one big bad - the bad decision to leave Bob in the game for 8 goals. I have no idea if it would have changed the outcome, but it would have spared Bob from taking an absolute beating on a night he just didn't have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sometimes I think bus would rather us lose if it meant Dubinsky, Murray, and Korpisalo played stupendously but Werenski, Wennberg, and Bobrovsky cost us the game.

Murray was on for all three PK goals against, Korpisalo went 1 for 2 (worse sv% than Bob), and Dubinsky took a penalty that cost a goal and blew coverage on another goal.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
My seats are 3 rows back, directly behind Bob. And he was terrible. Sure the rest of the team played poorly. But it seems that it is a goalie's job to stop shots. And he just looked like he was on Xanex back there. I would say at least 4 and perhaps 5 of the goals were directly on him. He was awful.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My seats are 3 rows back, directly behind Bob. And he was terrible. Sure the rest of the team played poorly. But it seems that it is a goalie's job to stop shots. And he just looked like he was on Xanex back there. I would say at least 4 and perhaps 5 of the goals were directly on him. He was awful.

There was a defensive breakdown with a wide-open Flames player on most of those goals. Of course it's on Bob to stop more of them.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
There were "bad" everywhere. Too bad he didn't mention big one - the bad decision to leave Bob in the game for 8 goals. I havenodiea if it would have changed the outcome, but it would have spared Bob from taking an absolute beating on a night he just didn't have it.

"8 is enough" applies to television shows. In hockey, six (in two periods) is generally enough to earn a spot at the end of the bench.

Last night makes me wonder if management is giving Bob a form of the "Johansen treatment". There was no reason to let him out for the 3rd period. None. Especially given that he's starting Thursday in Philly.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

major major

Feb 18, 2013
"8 is enough" applies to television shows. In hockey, six (in two periods) is generally enough to earn a spot at the end of the bench.

Last night makes me wonder if management is giving Bob a form of the "Johansen treatment". There was no reason to let him out for the 3rd period. None. Especially given that he's starting Thursday in Philly.

I'm pretty sure these are all Torts' decisions.

Just speculation, but I think Torts figured if we're hanging out the goalies to dry, better it be the veteran and not the young guy.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure these are all Torts' decisions.

Just speculation, but I think Torts figured if we're hanging out the goalies to dry, better it be the veteran and not the young guy.
I include Torts in management.

It's the second time this year they've let Bob get destroyed. Could be coincidental, could not be. Was just a thought.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I include Torts in management.

It's the second time this year they've let Bob get destroyed. Could be coincidental, could not be. Was just a thought.

After the Tampa game, a lot of folks thought Bob was going to demand a trade like Roy, and Bob was unflappable. He said he appreciated being left in the fight.

In my opinion, Bob has taken responsibility for his own play admirably. He's not taking responsibility for last Spring's playoff series loss, for good reason in my opinion, because he did his part of the job. He looks at a game like last night and probably thinks that he has to be better (and the rest of the team does too).

"Management" (your version) could be thinking, "this guy's psyche doesn't matter, we're not signing him anyways", or they could be thinking "If he's a $9m goalie then he better be able to handle this". I think he can handle it fine. More fundamentally I'd say that if the team defensive structure is solid enough for us to win a series, then we have no reason to worry about Bob.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad