GDT: Jackets vs Caps

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
It’s hilarious to think HFboards was ready to bench Bob for Korpi after Korpi’s 5-4, .895 Save pct. win versus Buffalo. Bob’s been .950 save pct and 1.69 GAA since Korpi was pulled from Detroit game.
Defense is now actually resembling a defense , that’s the main difference, Bobs been playing great of late , and even with that is 5-6 on the season with a 2.90 gaa, and .90 save %. Our defense was Swiss cheese at the beginning of the season

Reactions: thebus88

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Smooch smooch.. :)

smooch.gif

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It’s hilarious to think HFboards was ready to bench Bob for Korpi after Korpi’s 5-4, .895 Save pct. win versus Buffalo. Bob’s been .950 save pct and 1.69 GAA since Korpi was pulled from Detroit game.

Just enjoy his wins and play and don't get too cocky. That's my warning to you.

The team defense has been much better and much more structured than early in the year, along with Jones now seemingly getting back to normal.

I'm not taking anything away from Bob's last 3/4 games, but you cannot downplay that he was brutal to start the year, WAS outplayed by Korpisalo and DESERVED to sit for a couple games.

Its a long season.

And Bob STILL ISNT COMING BACK.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Defense is now actually resembling a defense , that’s the main difference, Bobs been playing great of late , and even with that is 5-6 on the season with a 2.90 gaa, and .90 save %. Our defense was Swiss cheese at the beginning of the season

Korpi is .838 And 4.93 in same time frame. People were claiming the team played better in front of Korpi. Wonder why the change?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Korpi is .838 And 4.93 in same time frame. People were claiming the team played better in front of Korpi. Wonder why the change?
What was/is his record on the season ? Defense was equally as bad for both goalies , but you can’t dispute the team didn’t play better when he started .

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What was/is his record on the season ? Defense was equally as bad for both goalies , but you can’t dispute the team didn’t play better when he started .

I don't disagree but you also can't dispute that Bob's play now is way above anything Korpi has shown since that first season he was here. I mean, really, ever, but...

Man I had high hopes for Korp after that season.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I don't disagree but you also can't dispute that Bob's play now is way above anything Korpi has shown since that first season he was here. I mean, really, ever, but...

Man I had high hopes for Korp after that season.
Guess we will see tonight . What part of the defense has been playing dramatically better in the past few games , and Korpi hasn’t played since, isn’t registering for people . Bob was great last night , no doubt , but so much of a goalie looking great, or looking really bad , is the defensive play in front of them . Our defense was terrible at the beginning of the season , and both goalies struggled mightily.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yep. Part of that would be the coach's maniacal focus on proper backchecking.

Reactions: major major

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Just enjoy his wins and play and don't get too cocky. That's my warning to you.

The team defense has been much better and much more structured than early in the year, along with Jones now seemingly getting back to normal.

I'm not taking anything away from Bob's last 3/4 games, but you cannot downplay that he was brutal to start the year, WAS outplayed by Korpisalo and DESERVED to sit for a couple games.

Its a long season.

And Bob STILL ISNT COMING BACK.

Come on. That’s dumb logic. Might as well tell us you want to sit Panarin for Sonny. Panarin ISN’T COMING BACK EITHER.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Come on. That’s dumb logic. Might as well tell us you want to sit Panarin for Sonny. Panarin ISN’T COMING BACK EITHER.

Dumb logic?

What's dumb is making it seem like the difference in quality of player and the difference of impact on the team is even remotely similar between Bob/Korpisalo and Panarin/Milano.

Milano is an AHL level player. Korpisalo is easily an 'NHL backup' on EVERY TEAM in the league and arguably would/should start on 10 or so teams right now, IMO.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Dumb logic?

What's dumb is making it seem like the difference in quality of player and the difference of impact on the team is even remotely similar between Bob/Korpisalo and Panarin/Milano.

Milano is an AHL level player. Korpisalo is easily an 'NHL backup' on EVERY TEAM in the league and arguably would/should start on 10 or so teams right now, IMO.

Korpi has never been anywhere close to Bob. Benching your two time Vezina goaltender for backup Korea because Bob ISN’T COMING BACK makes no sense.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Korpi has never been anywhere close to Bob. Benching your two time Vezina goaltender for backup Korea because Bob ISN’T COMING BACK makes no sense.
Sure it does , if they know he’s not coming back , they need to know if Korpi is a dependable option , or if another move needs to be made . Korpi will see a lot of starts this year , especially if he continues to show he can handle it . That’s life in the salary cap era

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Sure it does , if they know he’s not coming back , they need to know if Korpi is a dependable option , or if another move needs to be made . Korpi will see a lot of starts this year , especially if he continues to show he can handle it . That’s life in the salary cap era

The team has won games with him in goal but he hasn't really shown that he can handle it if you ask me..

Reactions: Bobcat110

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

It made sense to do it 10-14+ days ago when Korpisalo literally was playing better and giving the CBJ a better chance to win hockey games.

The 3 quick goals against DET don't really change much in my mind.

The difference between the 2 players is nowhere near as big as you believe.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The team has won games with him in goal but he hasn't really shown that he can handle it if you ask me..

Ok, other than win games, while making the saves that he should make, what more do you think he should do to show that he can "handle it"?

It is not as if the CBJ have been outplaying teams when Korpisalo has played. The argument could be made that the majority of the time he has been in, it has been the opposite.

AND you guys are either forgetting or completely downplaying JUST HOW BAD Bobrovsky was to start the year, and still what amounts to HALF of his starts.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
AND you guys are either forgetting or completely downplaying JUST HOW BAD Bobrovsky was to start the year, and still what amounts to HALF of his starts.
Perhaps more like "assigning the appropriate weight to relatively uncommon occurrences." Every goaltender has bad periods; what makes Bob pretty awesome is that he doesn't have them as often as others.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Ok, other than win games, while making the saves that he should make, what more do you think he should do to show that he can "handle it"?

It is not as if the CBJ have been outplaying teams when Korpisalo has played. The argument could be made that the majority of the time he has been in, it has been the opposite.

I didn't say Bob was any better during that stretch. Who are you lumping me in with when you say "you guys" ? I bolded the key word in your whole post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad