GDT: Jackets vs Caps

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Why in the world has Duclair only been getting 9 minutes per night ? Dude just continues to be one of our best players , imagine if he actually got more minutes . Same with Bjork. Great game tonight

I think Torts might be still holding out for Duc to improve his D-zone coverage - I saw one play he let his guy get a couple open shots. And Bjorky is fighting for time on the RW with Atkinson and Anderson, who have been the better players almost every night.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
This wrister is so so so good. Use it more often and accurate Bjorky.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
FIrst game I’ve missed all year. Didn’t see any of it or read our GDT yet/Twitter. What did I miss? A little overview/insight, friends :)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Maybe when Cam comes back we keep him off the first line to keep Bjork engaged, just a thought. We could always switch them if he struggles.

Dubi is playing ok, and Hannikainen is beasting, while Riley Nash just doesn't seem to have the intensity to keep up with those guys. I'd scratch him for a bit and give those guys Atkinson as a linemate and see how they do.

Nash might show his value later, but at this point I'm wondering if the Avs would be interested in a Nash/Calvert swap.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Yeah, no doubt Bjorks wrister was the net result of an insane backhand pass through traffic from Foligno. Extremely heads up play by the Captain. I saw the Jackets play the most complete game I think they have ever played tonight with superior goaltending by Bob. He was on tonight there is no denying that. You could see him tracking the puck on every play. He was seeing it, and he played phenomenally well tonight. Blasts from Ovie, Vrana, Backstrom Bob turned them away.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Did anyone see why (in this game, yes I know Wennberg has struggled)?

His passing on the PP was a huge boost. I didn't notice anything wrong 5v5, he actually has looked better lately.
Maybe Torts was afraid of go ahead goal like in Detroit? He blamed himself for putting Wennberg line on it. But 12 minutes? yeesh.. played under 10 minutes total tonight.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Torts benched Wennberg line, not just him. And apparently we played with empty net for entire 3rd because Bob was late to the meeting, again!

20182019-20237-shiftchart.png

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Maybe Torts was afraid of go ahead goal like in Detroit? He blamed himself for putting Wennberg line on it. But 12 minutes? yeesh.. played under 10 minutes total tonight.

I think it might have more to do with Duclair then. Wennberg is solid with coverage and shot blocking, Duclair not so much.

Edit: you beat me to it, with proof.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If you would have told me this afternoon that every goal would be a power play goal, I'd say we were f***ed. Go figure!

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Fun game! Sat behind Bob in defend twice end and he was at his best. A few CBJ fans in evidence, but not as many as I’ve seen at other Caps games. Always nice to see a win, especially over Holtby, who owns the Jackets. He played well, too, but Bob was just a little better!

Reactions: Monk

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
First in Metro...I just looked at the standings and if Pens win their 2 games in hand. Washington wins its game in hand and Isles lose theirs in OT there would be a 4 way tie for first and only 3 points separating top 7 teams with NJ 6 out. Talk about a close race.

jaxfan45385

Oct 29, 2007
Why in the world has Duclair only been getting 9 minutes per night ? Dude just continues to be one of our best players , imagine if he actually got more minutes . Same with Bjork. Great game tonight

According to you know who, they don't check the right way. And he thinks that's is how you win in today's NHL. :huh:

Reactions: MoeBartoli

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
According to you know who, they don't check the right way. And he thinks that's is how you win in today's NHL. :huh:
Oh, Torts seems to be at that Bjorkstrand crossroads from last year regarding Duclair. In the postgame , he said Duclair better focus a lot more on his checking, or his ice time will continue to dwindle . He then went on to say he can see why other coaches have had a problem with Duclair . Let’s hope that we don’t see the same result as last year where Duclairs production now falls off a cliff , but tries to play that checking game .

Never mind the fact that the kid has 7 g 3 a in 16 games playing 9 -11 minutes per night .
Torts also noted he had to watch film , and discuss with coaches as to whether Bork goes in Tomm night :laugh:

Reactions: MoeBartoli

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Oh, Torts seems to be at that Bjorkstrand crossroads from last year regarding Duclair. In the postgame , he said Duclair better focus a lot more on his checking, or his ice time will continue to dwindle . He then went on to say he can see why other coaches have had a problem with Duclair . Let’s hope that we don’t see the same result as last year where Duclairs production now falls off a cliff , but tries to play that checking game .

Never mind the fact that the kid has 7 g 3 a in 16 games playing 9 -11 minutes per night .
Torts also noted he had to watch film , and discuss with coaches as to whether Bork goes in Tomm night :laugh:

I think it's clear that Torts isn't talking about hitting, he's talking about lazy defensive coverage. And it's a real issue for Duclair that cost us some chances against last night.

I'd be really surprised if he actually doesn't know if Bjorkstrand is playing tomorrow.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad