Pre-Game Talk: Jackets @ Sens Feb. 7 Backup of the Backup Edition

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
You know, you're totally right. I've never heard of a GM who said his team is good at the start of a season when it actually wasn't. I think BM must have invented that.

This.

Gm job is not only to manage the team, but also to market the team to the fans.

Think of it like a business. Murray is trying to sell his product to the fans.

I mean does anyone really expect him to say this team will suck and be a bottom 5 team? Ya, good job trying to sell tickets if you said that.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
You know, you're totally right. I've never heard of a GM who said his team is good at the start of a season when it actually wasn't. I think BM must have invented that.
it was different enough that at least McGuire has commented that the management expected too much out of the team

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Hear that coaches? Never play a goalie two games in a row. That's what dummies do.

Well it depends who your goalies are.

Andersons best seasons are when he plays a small amount of games.(like under 40-50) and lehner doesn't play well when he barely plays.

A solution would be a 45ish to Anderson and 35ish to lehner.

Generally alternate while giving anderson the tougher matchup as he's still your starter.

Thats a decent solution to both problems.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Well it depends who your goalies are.

Andersons best seasons are when he plays a small amount of games.(like under 40-50) and lehner doesn't play well when he barely plays.

A solution would be a 45ish to Anderson and 35ish to lehner.

Generally alternate while giving anderson the tougher matchup as he's still your starter.

Thats a decent solution to both problems.

Technically, Anderson's best season (his first year in Colorado) where he was a fourth in Vezina voting, he played 71 games. He's actually more of a workhorse goalie in that he prefers getting all the games. He's just had injuries here and there that have limited his play.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Technically, Anderson's best season (his first year in Colorado) where he was a fourth in Vezina voting, he played 71 games. He's actually more of a workhorse goalie in that he prefers getting all the games. He's just had injuries here and there that have limited his play.

I'm on my phone and at work and can't check. But aren't his numbers better when he plays less games? Like what are his top 3 GAA years and his top 3 Sv% years? How many games did he play those years?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Well, our ES Sv% went from .930 to .918. once Cameron took over. Part of that is Lehner struggling and Anderson getting injured, how much of it can you blame on Cameron? Because, that, and our struggling PP, have been the difference.

I think a lot of people are letting end results influence their perception of the events. I've found our offense has remained pretty static, though we haven't had the result to show for it.

War-on-ice has a pretty solid scoring chance definition, and their research shows it doing a better job of predicting future goals than Corsi. They include data on rush shots, rebounds and shot location.
Coach|Scoring Chance %|SC for /60| SC against/60
Cameron|53.1%|26.0|23.0
MacLean|48.4%|25.0|26.7

To me, this aligns pretty well with how I've perceived the games. We've looked far more competitive in my mind.

The PP on the other hand is an interesting one to me, because in a lot of cases the head coach isn't the one running the PP. I'm not sure who did it under MacLean or who does it now, but it's certainly failed to get results lately. How much of that is a different system, the coach, or luck, Idk.
Thanks for sharing that link. I've been looking around for something like that. I agree, those stats align with what I've perceived in the ice.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm on my phone and at work and can't check. But aren't his numbers better when he plays less games? Like what are his top 3 GAA years and his top 3 Sv% years? How many games did he play those years?

So I hockeydb'd his numbers.his 3 best GAA and Sv% years were when he played under 25 games.

You can click on GAA or Sv% and it will list his years in order of the stat you clicked.

If you made a graph, you'd notice a fairly decent relation between games played and sv%/gaa. The more he plays, the worse those numbers get.

So if the above is true. And were also realizing lehner doesn't play well when he's been off for a while.

The logical move would be to give Anderson a low number of starts compared to your average starter so he can maintain good numbers. That along with playing lehner more to improve his numbers so he isn't rusty every time he gets in there.

This is ignoring the current Anderson injury.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So I hockeydb'd his numbers.his 3 best GAA and Sv% years were when he played under 25 games.

You can click on GAA or Sv% and it will list his years in order of the stat you clicked.

If you made a graph, you'd notice a fairly decent relation between games played and sv%/gaa. The more he plays, the worse those numbers get.

So if the above is true. And were also realizing lehner doesn't play well when he's been off for a while.

The logical move would be to give Anderson a low number of starts compared to your average starter so he can maintain good numbers. That along with playing lehner more to improve his numbers so he isn't rusty every time he gets in there.

This is ignoring the current Anderson injury.

So, just to be clear, we're talking about his numbers as a backup (potential for lower QOC), and one shortened season where he got injured as the two seasons where he played fewer games and had better numbers. I really don't think there's enough there to call it a trend myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad