Dreger: Jackets looking to acquire a top line center in the offseason

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If Strome is your 1C you know the team is going absolutely nowhere
If a lot of things about the current cbj are what they are the team is going nowhere. If he’s better than any center they have and they’re trying to bring some stability to center, might be worthwhile.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The only reason he is scoring at the pace he is, is because he is playing with an elite talent in Panarin. Look at what Columbus does to players' offensive game. Strome would not be very good there.
Torts is gone and he produced well this year without Panarin. Kreider played his best hockey of the year by far with Strome

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Torts is gone and he produced well this year without Panarin. Kreider played his best hockey of the year by far with Strome
I know Panarin missed time but he still played 42 games. Not like he was absent for a significant amount of time.

I'm not saying Strome isnt a solid player, but if he went from playing with Panarin in NY to playing with say, Gustav Nyqvist in Columbus he would fall back to earth.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If a lot of things about the current cbj are what they are the team is going nowhere. If he’s better than any center they have and they’re trying to bring some stability to center, might be worthwhile.

With or without Strome they won’t be good enough so why waste assets on him instead of trying to build a contender properly?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
With or without Strome they won’t be good enough so why waste assets on him instead of trying to build a contender properly?
Yeah I don’t disagree. I don’t know enough about how the team is built to say but he’s probably a bargain for his production wherever he ends up

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I know Panarin missed time but he still played 42 games. Not like he was absent for a significant amount of time.

I'm not saying Strome isnt a solid player, but if he went from playing with Panarin in NY to playing with say, Gustav Nyqvist in Columbus he would fall back to earth.
Yesh I don’t disagree - but his “back to earth” is a good bit higher than it was

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Strome has been a very good producing 2C that has proven he can be a strong player with other top 6 players. He shouldn't be advertised as someone that can be a 1C.

Reactions: shello

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Roslovic and Domi are both fine, at least in the second half. They've got offensive 2C more than covered. This is about finding either a hard minutes guy like Danault or finding a more consistent scorer that can push them down the lineup, Strome doesn't fit either.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Building a contender properly doesn't mean that you don't add good players. In fact, it kinda requires it. The idea that "Hey we don't want to add better players than what we have because our plan is to suck for 2 years and get draft picks and then be great" only works on HF.

In the real world it ends up being BUF and EDM.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Roslovic and Domi are both fine, at least in the second half. They've got offensive 2C more than covered. This is about finding either a hard minutes guy like Danault or finding a more consistent scorer that can push them down the lineup, Strome doesn't fit either.

No team with those 2 guys as their top 2 Cs is fine.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I have no idea who

I just think that Jones still has immense value around the league to some old school GM's. I think his play has dropped A LOT, and most metrics show that.

that to me is their only piece to work with.
Whenever I watch Jones (over the last 2 years) he looks like ass. Has he had an injury or something?

Reactions: RogerRoger

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
The best option for Columbus would be to trade Laine, rebuild and tank for Wright/Bedard.

Laine, needs, needs, needs a true top-line centre to succeed. He had it all in Winnipeg, he just thought he was the face of the franchise.
Lol but they didn’t play then together because Paul Maurice.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think Columbus is willing to trade just about anything to make it happen and has the cap space to relieve teams in a bind.

It also seems unusual that people say there’s no way it could possibly happen, while there seems to be availability for players like Hertl, Couture, Miller, Horvat, Monahan, Kuznetsov, Kotkaniemi, Johansen, Duchene, Danault, Nugent Hopkins.

I don’t think all of those fit the bill as clear cut 1Cs, but there’s certainly some centers that seem like they’ll be available this off-season.

Columbus could offer: cap space, four 1sts over next two years, Domi, Nyquist, Bjorkstrand, Gavrikov, Jenner, even Roslovic or Laine. top U-21 players Foudy, Texier, Bemstrom, Marchenko, Voronkov, Chinkhov.

There are plenty of options.

Edit: I failed to mention Korpi/Elvis, for any cap-strapped team that needs a starter for next year at $4M or $2.8M.
Horvat is not available.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That makes sense. Sounds like definitely not a good fit then

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Lol are they getting Panarin as well so Strome can just hand him the puck and rack up easy assists?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Building a contender properly doesn't mean that you don't add good players. In fact, it kinda requires it. The idea that "Hey we don't want to add better players than what we have because our plan is to suck for 2 years and get draft picks and then be great" only works on HF.

In the real world it ends up being BUF and EDM.

I know but we are talking Strome here.

I don’t think he’s a guy they should be looking at

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad