Rumor: Jackets interested in Perron, Seguin?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
This doesn't compare to the Nash trade. In the Nash trade we brought over 3 guys who are playing on our NHL team. In the Seguin trade we would be trading away 2 prospects. So, we would have added 4 NHL players and traded away 1 NHL player. We have improved our depth and talent. Jenner and Murray may be very good, but Seguin already is good.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Again, I am not saying I would do the trade. I am just giving reasons why it could work.

Last edited:

jetbluejackets

Nov 10, 2007
Boone Jenner, the 3rd line center, and Ryan Murray, the 2nd pairing Dman.

Funny, I don't remember seeing either of them in a CBJ jersey this season....

If some other GM is desperate enough to trade proven NHL players for prospects or picks, you make that trade. Every time.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If 'the farm' is a 3rd line center with offensive upside and a 2nd pairing defenseman who can play in all situations, we have bigger problems.

Murray is a top 20 prospect in the league, but thank gawd you are here to correct that mistake.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Funny, I don't remember seeing either of them in a CBJ jersey this season....
They weren't, they're my opinion and I'm not alone.

Murray is a top 20 prospect in the league, but thank gawd you are here to correct that mistake.

I would hope so, he was a 2nd overall pick. Just because you are a top-20 prospect doesn't mean you are destined for a spot on the first pairing.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I would hope so, he was a 2nd overall pick. Just because you are a top-20 prospect doesn't mean you are destined for a spot on the first pairing.

What I am saying is that the league is projecting him to be a top pairing guy. That kind of happens when you are top 20 prospect in the league and drafted overall #2 (even if it's a down year).

For you to suggest otherwise at this point in his development defies logic at this point. Do you even know where you are coming up with that conclusion?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
If some other GM is desperate enough to trade proven NHL players for prospects or picks, you make that trade. Every time.

September 18, 2009: The Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Phil Kessel from the Boston Bruins in exchange for a 2010 and 2011 first round draft selection and a 2010 second round draft selection.

By your logic, I assume you think Toronto easily won this trade?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What I am saying is that the league is projecting him to be a top pairing guy. That kind of happens when you are top 20 prospect in the league and drafted overall #2 (even if it's a down year).

For you to suggest otherwise at this point in his development defies logic at this point. Do you even know where you are coming up with that conclusion?
Some around the league are (I'll give you most believe he will be) some don't. I happen to be one, doesn't mean I think he's a bad player.

From watching him play in a few Everett games (this year), world juniors last year, what I read about him from scouts around the draft last year. I put in a mix of some reads that I trust, and my own opinion. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but I feel you can find Ryan Murray's easier than others and there are more players like him. He also lost most of the season with the shoulder injury, but I'm not too concerned with that. Boone being a 3rd line C is just because I don't think his scoring will translate as well to the NHL as it was in Junior.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I didn't like the comments about Seguin being a locker room problem or an off-ice Patrick Kane. However I believe (maybe hope) he can outgrow those issues as he matures.

I think the Jackets will be winners today one way or the other. Either they land 4 solid prospects with their picks or they bring in some established NHL players.

Only way they lose if they pick too many D. :laugh:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Perhaps JK sees Pulock being the BPA at 14. So he trades Murray to get his forward (Seguin) then drafts Pulock and puts him in Murray's slot. Then if the bad rumors about Johansen are true, he moves him for Peron+.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
Replace "Seguin" with "Kessel" and "Murray + Jenner" with "Hamilton + Seguin", and you've just repeated Burke's Blunder.

Puhlease Mayor.....

I can maybe stretch and concede Murray is close in value to Hamilton (who was the top D prospect in hockey (2012). Again, giving Murray the benefit of the doubt here.

But....I cannot simply not buy that Boone Jenner as a 20 year old will net 29 goals like Seguin did as a 20 year old. I think he'd be lucky to get 10-15.

We need guys that can score goals or at the very least playmakers who can help others put it on the net. Our GM has said as much.

I know a lot people on here have Boone "mania" on here (edit: I like him a lot) but unless he's a projected 30 goal scorer (which I don't believe) then this TOR-BOS vs CBJ-BOS trade comparison is a nonsense. Nothing more.

I'd have more of a problem giving up what we did for an old off injured vet like Gaborik (Moore, Brassard, Dorrset) than a very young proven scorer like Seguin.

My only reservation is how would Seguin take being traded from the most successful team in hockey the past 3 years to a small market in the Midwest.

The last thing this franchise needs is Jeff Carter Part Deux. The value is there otherwise.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
Perhaps JK sees Pulock being the BPA at 14. So he trades Murray to get his forward (Seguin) then drafts Pulock and puts him in Murray's slot. Then if the bad rumors about Johansen are true, he moves him for Peron+.

I like the way you think.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012

I dislike the way you think (depending on the + which can't be much else).

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
September 18, 2009: The Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Phil Kessel from the Boston Bruins in exchange for a 2010 and 2011 first round draft selection and a 2010 second round draft selection.

We would be trading a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick. You guys are overrating our players a lot, IMO. I like both and would like to keep them, but you guys are acting like they are proven NHL'ers and Seguin isn't any good. Seguin is a proven, young NHL'er.

Seguin (21 yo) - 121 NHL points
Murray (19 yo) - 0 NHL points
Jenner (20 yo) - 0 NHL points

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So what if Johansen and Jenner do develop into the players we want them to be, after we trade them to Boston. Now we have to face them at least 4 times/season..

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
So what if Johansen and Jenner do develop into the players we want them to be, after we trade them to Boston. Now we have to face them at least 4 times/season..

Could have said the same thing about Brule, Zherdev, Filatov, etc. There is a huge difference between being an impact player in Juniors and being an impact player in the NHL as Columbus has found out too many times.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

We will have Seguin. If he becomes as good as he can he is better than both. Also, why do you list Johansen and Jenner?

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I'd have more of a problem giving up what we did for an old off injured vet like Gaborik (Moore, Brassard, Dorrset) than a very young proven scorer like Seguin.

These are the lines for the 11-12 season for Gaborik and Seguin:

82 41 35 76

81 29 38 67

Gaborik is ten years older (31-21)

I doubt the Bruins would have given up Seguin for those three (none of whom I miss all that much). Obviously, age and injury were not a big consideration for Gabby, just last season, but the age difference is significant. I don't like the trades being offered for Seguin in this thread, but I certainly wouldn't mind his addition to the lineup, either!

jetbluejackets

Nov 10, 2007

Not a totally fair comparison....Since when TOR made the trade they did not know that they'd be picking 2nd overall...obviously knowing your draft position goes into the equation as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad