Jackets at World Championships

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Really don't think Dubois is talked about enough. Especially in relation to other younger guys now or in the past, who get hyped up like crazy.

I think/thought the talk of him being a "disappointment" (or whatever) this year, or ANY questions of him being an impactful top line player/center going forward was and is nonsense.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Really don't think Dubois is talked about enough. Especially in relation to other younger guys now or in the past, who get hyped up like crazy.

I think/thought the talk of him being a "disappointment" (or whatever) this year, or ANY questions of him being an impactful top line player/center going forward was and is nonsense.

I just think everyone is anxious to see how he does without Bread, much like how everyone did when we got Bread (would he be PPG without Kane). I expect his numbers to fall a bit, but not just because of losing Bread but because he's still a kid and do that, I expect him to be around a Couturier when he's done

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Wenny was great at wc :huh: why cant he play like that in CBJ? Well Sweden is out and it feeeeeels soooo good. Lets get that final Winland vs Canada, if it doesnt come to us i hope PLD gets it

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just think everyone is anxious to see how he does without Bread, much like how everyone did when we got Bread (would he be PPG without Kane). I expect his numbers to fall a bit, but not just because of losing Bread but because he's still a kid and do that, I expect him to be around a Couturier when he's done

He's miles ahead of where Couturier was at that age, and Coach Vigneault had Dubois playing ahead of Couturier in this tournament. But I think you're right, Couturier is a solid 1C, it's about what I expect of Dubois.

Reactions: Jovavic

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
He's miles ahead of where Couturier was at that age, and Coach Vigneault had Dubois playing ahead of Couturier in this tournament. But I think you're right, Couturier is a solid 1C, it's about what I expect of Dubois.

Yea, I meant the hard nosed, hard to play against, defensive minded center and maybe the kind of offense Couturier showed this season would come up for Dubois, but earlier by a few seasons in his career.

Reactions: majormajor

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yea, I meant the hard nosed, hard to play against, defensive minded center and maybe the kind of offense Couturier showed this season would come up for Dubois, but earlier by a few seasons in his career.

Just because he is hard to play against, likes to play "hard nosed" and can be good defensively, DOES NOT make him a defensive MINDED center.

DUBOIS IS THE TOTAL PACKAGE. Why aren't people calling him elite-anything. Better passer than Wennberg ever was. Oh, because he's not soft or "flashy" or "smooth" on the ice, I cant call him "elite" or a "playmaker".

I understand Couterier is a good player, but this is another perfect example of people downplaying Dubois' offensive ability. I'd also say Couturier is another good example of a player whose offensive game is (or was) somewhat overlooked because of his defensive/two way ability.

Dubois, like MANY CBJ players next year, is going to have something to prove to many people.

Reactions: mikeyp24

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Wenny was great at wc :huh: why cant he play like that in CBJ? Well Sweden is out and it feeeeeels soooo good. Lets get that final Winland vs Canada, if it doesnt come to us i hope PLD gets it

Because he's soft and this is a tournament where many guys are playing around 75-80%, and the overall skill and intensity isn't on the level of the NHL.

Couldn't have hurt his trade value, so I'm pretty pumped myself.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Just because he is hard to play against, likes to play "hard nosed" and can be good defensively, DOES NOT make him a defensive MINDED center.

DUBOIS IS THE TOTAL PACKAGE. Why aren't people calling him elite-anything. Better passer than Wennberg ever was. Oh, because he's not soft or "flashy" or "smooth" on the ice, I cant call him "elite" or a "playmaker".

I understand Couterier is a good player, but this is another perfect example of people downplaying Dubois' offensive ability. I'd also say Couturier is another good example of a player whose offensive game is (or was) somewhat overlooked because of his defensive/two way ability.

Dubois, like MANY CBJ players next year, is going to have something to prove to many people.
You answered you're own question. He hasn't proven he's elite. He hasn't shown he can truly carry a line. He doesn't consistently generate offense on his own. He's not elite because he's been shadowed by having two 30G scorers on both of his wings, one of which is considered one of the best wings in the game.

This is going to be a huge year for Dubois and hopefully a "coming out party" of sorts for him. To show he can be the guy.

Another reason why signing Duchene would be huge for this club. Dubois needs competition for the spot, it cant just be handed to him. Making both Duchene and Dubois battle for the 1C spot is the best possible scenario for the Jackets.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Like a lot of young players, Dubois plays like an elite player about half the games. The other half is pretty ugly. He makes some terrible, execrable passes. He bobbles the puck and boots it. He plays like he's in a fog. We can call him elite when he gets the consistency he's searching for.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You answered you're own question. He hasn't proven he's elite. He hasn't shown he can truly carry a line. He doesn't consistently generate offense on his own. He's not elite because he's been shadowed by having two 30G scorers on both of his wings, one of which is considered one of the best wings in the game.

This is going to be a huge year for Dubois and hopefully a "coming out party" of sorts for him. To show he can be the guy.

Another reason why signing Duchene would be huge for this club. Dubois needs competition for the spot, it cant just be handed to him. Making both Duchene and Dubois battle for the 1C spot is the best possible scenario for the Jackets.

Tell me what exactly Dubois would have to do or have done to be considered "elite". If you want, name the players up to 1 year older, that you do consider "elite". I'd argue that he DOES generate offense on his own consistently. 1 of his best traits is battling 1 on 1/with the puck. Tell me who Panarin's center has been since he's been able to "prove" HE was "elite" and "one of the best wings in the game.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Like a lot of young players, Dubois plays like an elite player about half the games. The other half is pretty ugly. He makes some terrible, execrable passes. He bobbles the puck and boots it. He plays like he's in a fog. We can call him elite when he gets the consistency he's searching for.

"The other half is pretty ugly" AND "he plays like he's in a fog" is a bit much, eh?

ALL OF THIS (and then some) can be used to describe future HOFer Werenski MUCH more so than Dubois.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I think PLD is a complete player, not elite at anything tho, but really good at most things. I'm anxious to see if he does become "elite" at least in one aspect of the game (passing, scoring, defensive, leadership) so he can become a true 1c.

Maybe with less skilled offensive players, it will give him the chance to be more than whatever he is now.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
"The other half is pretty ugly" AND "he plays like he's in a fog" is a bit much, eh?

ALL OF THIS (and then some) can be used to describe future HOFer Werenski MUCH more so than Dubois.

Certainly, inconsistency has been a big issue for both. Maybe it applied slightly more to Werenski, I'm not sure. In this playoffs it was Werenski who found consistency, not Dubois.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Certainly, inconsistency has been a big issue for both. Maybe it applied slightly more to Werenski, I'm not sure. In this playoffs it was Werenski who found consistency, not Dubois.

I'll give you 2 reasons.

1) Murray being injured and Werenski consistently paired with Jones to "end" the year.
2) Duchene being acquired and Dubois consistently bouncing around the lineup with different linemates and looked at much less as the GO TO center.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'll give you 2 reasons.

1) Murray being injured and Werenski consistently paired with Jones to "end" the year.
2) Duchene being acquired and Dubois consistently bouncing around the lineup with different linemates and looked at much less as the GO TO center.

This is clearly two still-inconsistent young players whose success heavily depends on usage and linemates. That makes it all the more silly that you've now incorporated one into your "Bad Blue Jackets" and one into your "Good Blue Jackets". They're not that different.

In response to (2): As I showed earlier Dubois has produced pretty well in several instances when he's not paired with Panarin. I can remember a couple particular instances where he scored a pair of points in his first game away from Panarin. Once it was with Duclair on his left side, in the other it was Anderson and a rotating cast of LWs. He also went about 15 games late in the season where he didn't produce anything, playing both with and without Panarin. That's on Dubois.

In response to (1): Both Werenski and Jones improved to end the year, and I think they both were playing really well (at both ends of the ice) and helping each other. They played a lot together in the 60 games before that (Murray played just as much with Nutivaara as he did with Jones). I don't think "consistency" with a partner is that valid, Werenski had a dozen-plus games at a time with one partner earlier in the year, including with Jones. The results weren't the same because he wasn't as good (and neither was Jones).

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Because he's soft and this is a tournament where many guys are playing around 75-80%, and the overall skill and intensity isn't on the level of the NHL.

Couldn't have hurt his trade value, so I'm pretty pumped myself.

Dont say that kind of stuff. Finland goes crazy about Skoda Cup. Im not sure why, but it is the time when every Finnish are their own life Don Cherrys and f*** we know everything about hockey. After this tournament its just time pet our polar bears and penguins. Tomorrow it will end with great final. I was hoping Finland - USA final but no. Sweden and Russia is out thats more than can hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $250.00