3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Is that Panarin's fault or management's fault?

Like I said to someone else, expecting a 31-year-old to be a superstar when he's not a generational talent is pretty ridiculous.
wat?

4q1yXvp.gif

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
You also have to keep in mind that around 90 points is not what it was in Panarin's first season.

Scoring is on crack the last couple of years. Like 20 guys are going to have a hundred points.
Offense and play making has finally caught up to coaches attempts since the lockout to stifle offense with system play. Goalies are goalies and for the most part will give up the same goals versus the same chances consistently. Like goalies aren’t worse, they’ve just become more exposed.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
You know who deserves some positive mentions? Jonny Brodzinski. When this kid was called up and playing for the Rangers during Quinn's last season he looked so inept at all times. He was always out of position and just making tons of mistakes every single shift. I remember even in a lost season being infuriated every time he was on the ice. Since then he's improved tons and major credit to him is due. He worked hard in Hartford, became their captain and most reliable scorer and earned his way up to being the first call up and at this point he's a legitimately effective 4th line NHLer, a legit NHL player at that. He works hard and has good wheels and he's gotten smarter with his positioning and in turn it's made him more effective at using his speed. Major kudos to our Jonny hockey.
He really does deserve your post. Been thrilled with his play, and really makes the 4th line palatable. Chances more than we would expect, usually on the rush, go figure. Eventually he will pot one of those and

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
You also have to keep in mind that around 90 points is not what it was in Panarin's first season.

Scoring is on crack the last couple of years. Like 20 guys are going to have a hundred points.

That's because the skill level among the elite is insane and the best it's ever been, while the general skill level across the league is also much better nowadays as third and fourth lines get better and are expected to do things and the pugilists and no-skill plugs are becoming extinct. You've said it, too. We're not a highly skilled team. The players might think they are. Like when Kreider attempted a Michigan and it wound up being a South Dakota.

Edit: I know some will say that we are a skilled team. I agree to a certain point. I think they play very individualistically and as a team, they're slow, which prevents their individual skills from shining.

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Blue. Very blue.

Part of me wants to say f*** it and go for Meier. He is exactly what we need. Poll the NMC guys and see who wants to have surgery and miss half of next year for LTIR purposes lol. I bet we will have some takers after the attrition of another deep run. If other teams can do it why cant we?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
That's because the skill level among the elite is insane and the best it's ever been, while the general skill level across the league is also much better nowadays as third and fourth lines get better and are expected to do things and the pugilists and no-skill plugs are becoming extinct. You've said it, too. We're not a highly skilled team. The players might think they are.

I mean, this roster actually has elite players, guys in conversation for major individual trophies.

The golden era from 2012-2015 had Henrik, and pretty much everyone else was at 1B level at best. McDonagh maybe finished like 7th for the Norris one year. Nash had a couple 40 goal years but they weren't anything like what Zibby/Panarin have done.

Panarin for all his flaws is our most talented forward since Jagr.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Part of me wants to say f*** it and go for Meier. He is exactly what we need. Poll the NMC guys and see who wants to have surgery and miss half of next year for LTIR purposes lol. I bet we will have some takers after the attrition of another deep run. If other teams can do it why cant we?
I would take him just for a playoff run but if we could find a way to keep him that would be great too.

Reactions: Ail

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I mean, this roster actually has elite players, guys in conversation for major individual trophies.

The golden era from 2012-2015 had Henrik, and pretty much everyone else was at 1B level at best. McDonagh maybe finished like 7th for the Norris one year. Nash had a couple 40 goal years but they weren't anything like what Zibby/Panarin have done.

You're right. Unfortunately, it is all in the past tense by now. What Panarin and Zibanejad did in 2019 and 2020 was (r)evolutionary, with the low-high cycle plays and the dangles. The rest of the league has caught up if not surpassed it.

We are seeing them dominate the offensive zone in Columbus and they cycle the puck and cycle the puck and cycle the puck low high low high low high, but nothing results of it. They're doing it too slow, and the rest of the league has caught up to this rodeo.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009

Girardi finished 6th in Norris voting in 2012!

Reactions: Fitzy

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Girardi finished 6th in Norris voting in 2012!

I think stay-at-home defensemen need their own award like the Selke.

Either that or do a specific award for offensive defensemen so guys like Erik Karlsson and Chris Pronger aren't fighting over the same award.

Reactions: Greg02

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
He's doing fine. He is generally supporting the puck well and supporting the cycle, and he has made a couple of really nice feeds, And, yes, hasn't cashed in on a couple of chances unfortunately, and he's also taken a couple of bad penalties. Could it better? Yes. Certainly it could be worse.
Fine? You are the most patient/forgiving person in the world, and THAT is coming from what I thought..... was me. We have had 2nd, 3rd and 4th round draft picks make more of a splash than he has. Honestly, he looked better in his 1st year, which tells me it's either disconnect with coaches, lacking confidence OR he simply doesnt want to be here anymore.
I get it, he's only 21.....but at what point should we expect him to contribute? How much of a pass does he get? When will the light go on (if it's that)? He obviously needs skate strengthening or whatever to also increase his speed. He's simply too slow and always behind the play because he isn't even thinking fast or anticipating. Okay, this is sounding like I am bashing, but I am not. It's just that it is so frustrating for me to "imagine" what this team can really be (dominant?) if he and Kravtsov start contributing regularly (Krav has been enticing lately) along with Filip and KK.
This team could be super exciting and dare I say a REAL CUP CONTENDER? Yes, despite winning lately we need more. Don't we?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Fine? You are the most patient/forgiving person in the world, and THAT is coming from what I thought..... was me. We have had 2nd, 3rd and 4th round draft picks make more of a splash than he has. Honestly, he looked better in his 1st year, which tells me it's either disconnect with coaches, lacking confidence OR he simply doesnt want to be here anymore.
I get it, he's only 21.....but at what point should we expect him to contribute? How much of a pass does he get? When will the light go on (if it's that)? He obviously needs skate strengthening or whatever to also increase his speed. He's simply too slow and always behind the play because he isn't even thinking fast or anticipating. Okay, this is sounding like I am bashing, but I am not. It's just that it is so frustrating for me to "imagine" what this team can really be (dominant?) if he and Kravtsov start contributing regularly (Krav has been enticing lately) along with Filip and KK.
This team could be super exciting and dare I say a REAL CUP CONTENDER? Yes, despite winning lately we need more. Don't we?

I'm a realist. Everybody wishes that the kid group to be doing more, and if they were, we'd have a record like Boston's.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Is that Panarin's fault or management's fault?

Like I said to someone else, expecting a 31-year-old to be a superstar when he's not a generational talent is pretty ridiculous.
So only "generational talents " can be superstars ? Panarin is the 2nd highest paid player in the league ! f***ing right we expect him to be a superstar. And I'm not sure anybody is questioning his "talent". He 's one of the most talented players I have ever seen. He's also one of the most inconsistent with his effort, soft, at times lazy/floating players I have ever seen.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Panarin is FINE. Certainly better than he was last year. But I think he could still get a bit sharper.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
You're right. Unfortunately, it is all in the past tense by now. What Panarin and Zibanejad did in 2019 and 2020 was (r)evolutionary, with the low-high cycle plays and the dangles. The rest of the league has caught up if not surpassed it.

We are seeing them dominate the offensive zone in Columbus and they cycle the puck and cycle the puck and cycle the puck low high low high low high, but nothing results of it. They're doing it too slow, and the rest of the league has caught up to this rodeo.

They are doing it too slow and they don't have a specific plan apart from keeping the possession going, which seems to be the goal in itself. The point, just like with the focus on hitting, is to wear out the opponent physically.

They don't like the D to get pucks to the net unless there is a mile wide lane, which kind of defeats the purpose of getting the puck to the D apart from the possession game. They also don't work to get the puck to a shooter in the high slot because they are not organized enough for that. And they don't attack the slot enough with the puck when in possession (just go for it Kaapo). It all ends up with the forwards wrestling with the D in front of goal but no pucks for deflections or rebounds for them to work with. It's one of many reasons I feel our coaching is subpar. The X and O's are not sharp enough.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The point you're missing is that he was that player at one point, with the Rangers no less. What changed? He's 31 now so he isn't the same player? I don't buy that for one second. Star players in their mid-late 30s are succeeding throughout the league, why does Panarin get a pass? He was signed to be our difference-maker and he hasn't been over the last year and a half. It's not an unfair criticism.

I'll throw this in: Who do you think Trouba was addressing when he threw his helmet and yelled "wake up" at the bench? If you think it was the Kids, you're misguided.
If you believe putting up 90 points isn't succeeding, then I think you're out of touch with reality.

The point you're missing is that he does lead them in scoring.

Let's see a list of players in their mid to late 30's with more points. That's a real long list. I'll save you some time. The list is one person long. It's Stamkos.

Would love to know where you got the info on the helmet throw. Can you post a link to it here?

Reactions: tlk

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If you believe putting up 90 points isn't succeeding, then I think you're out of touch with reality.

The point you're missing is that he does lead them in scoring.

Let's see a list of players in their mid to late 30's with more points. That's a real long list. I'll save you some time. The list is one person long. It's Stamkos.

Would love to know where you got the info on the helmet throw. Can you post a link to it here?

Point totals dont tell the whole story. Not with Panarin & not with the Kids. If you think Panarin is playing great and earning his contract, more power to you.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Point totals dont tell the whole story. Not with Panarin & not with the Kids. If you think Panarin is playing great and earning his contract, more power to you.

I noticed that you couldn't dispute any facts that I posted, nor could you answer my question about Trouba, so all you could do was be condescending, so more power to you, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino