News Article: Jack Todd: Hockey Night in Canada? More like Hockey Night in Toronto

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Jack Todd: Hockey Night in Canada? More like Hockey Night in Toronto

The Maple Leafs are stuffed down our throats 24/7 by the national media, including TSN. Even the print media are not entirely blameless: see last fall’s mind-bending headline: “Is Morgan Rielly greater than Orr?”

“When I thought about that,” Hughson went on, “I looked back to 2012 and thought about how Patrick Kane, a 24-year-old for the Chicago Blackhawks, got into a little trouble with too many cameras around in Wisconsin that summer, and what did he do? He came back and was the Conn Smythe Trophy winner and won the Stanley Cup (in 2013.)
“And that’s how you put a little problem behind you.”
Before that stunning bit of foolery escaped his mouth, the worst I thought of Hughson was he’s colourless and a little dull. With that one comment, Hughson veered dangerously into Don Cherry territory, waxing offensive on our national, taxpayer-funded network.

In their lust for that all-important southern Ontario demographic, Sportsnet, TSN and the CBC risk offending hockey fans in six other pretty significant markets. If the only road to that coveted 7 p.m. Saturday night CBC slot with Hockey Night in Canada is through Toronto, an inevitable side effect is the Leafs will become the most hated team in the country.
Check that. Thanks to our national media, they already are

Didn't realize that there was a thread on the main board.

Oh! Well.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He wrote another article? jK. Someone else posted this earlier.

The guys still a hack, though....

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
who is Jack Todd?

Talk about pandering to the rest of Canada, imagine reading this and thinking "yeah he is right, f*** Toronto" this article is clearly looking for those sweet lowest common denominator clicks

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
its funny how he mentioned the Hughson and Matthews thing, he figures the announcers are homers for the leafs, to me Hughson and Simpson are anything but homers, they hate the leafs and can tell by the way they announce the games its quite obvious.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Modern day "journalism" where one must always be the victim. Guy comes across like a whiny child. I'm thankful I haven't read his past work.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
If he cannot understand this comes down to dollars and cents, he is a dumb as he comes off in his articles.
Leafs have by far the largest English fan base in the country, meaning the most eyes on the screen, meaning the most advertising dollars can be made when they are on.
That is really it. There were some very good articles written about this in years past that included comments from the TV and advertising execs stating as much.
I am okay with all non-Leaf fans hating our team and our fan base, we already hate most of them and theirs :razz:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If he cannot understand this comes down to dollars and cents, he is a dumb as he comes off in his articles.
Leafs have by far the largest English fan base in the country, meaning the most eyes on the screen, meaning the most advertising dollars can be made when they are on.
That is really it. There were some very good articles written about this in years past that included comments from the TV and advertising execs stating as much.
I am okay with all non-Leaf fans hating our team and our fan base, we already hate most of them and theirs :razz:

I suspect he understands exactly why the Leafs are shown on CBC. But he is a columnist and this is an opinion piece. Such pieces are often meant to be controversial to stir up the readership.

Nothing to get worked up about.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
“And that’s how you put a little problem behind you.”
Before that stunning bit of foolery escaped his mouth, the worst I thought of Hughson was he’s colourless and a little dull. With that one comment, Hughson veered dangerously into Don Cherry territory, waxing offensive on our national, taxpayer-funded network.

Dont ever discredit Uncle Don like that. The amount of work he has put into supporting hockey players and soldiers is more good then I'm sure you have ever done in your life. Now gtfo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad