News Article: Jack Todd: Hockey Night in Canada? More like Hockey Night in Toronto

Michael j

Jul 20, 2019
I remember the days when I was a teen and younger and ALL we ever saw on HNIC was Montreal. And it was one game a week unless it was the playoffs. That was long before the days of NHL centre ice or all sports networks. We even had to read the paper or listen to the radio to find out scores.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I remember the days when I was a teen and younger and ALL we ever saw on HNIC was Montreal. And it was one game a week unless it was the playoffs. That was long before the days of NHL centre ice or all sports networks. We even had to read the paper or listen to the radio to find out scores.
Careful - you're dating yourself! Although not as bad as remembering that you had to listen to the first period on the radio, because the tv broadcast only started with the second period.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
I don't know who the author is but his premise is incredible flawed, considering:

1) since the Rogers takeover of the HNIC platform, there is no such thing as the "national" game anymore, they're all national. The Leafs spotlight on CBC is probably more of a traditional thing than anything, because they have always had that spotlight as they have the largest fan base in the country.

2) nobody uses rabbit ears anymore, so there is no Canadian subject to watching the Leaf game who desires to watch a different game.

If you're writing an article crying foul that the Leafs are the team featured on the CBC the most in 2019 -something unchanged since basically, well, the dawn of TV- boo friggin' hoo.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I don't know who the author is but his premise is incredible flawed, considering:

1) since the Rogers takeover of the HNIC platform, there is no such thing as the "national" game anymore, they're all national. The Leafs spotlight on CBC is probably more of a traditional thing than anything, because they have always had that spotlight as they have the largest fan base in the country.

2) nobody uses rabbit ears anymore, so there is no Canadian subject to watching the Leaf game who desires to watch a different game.

If you're writing an article crying foul that the Leafs are the team featured on the CBC the most in 2019 -something unchanged since basically, well, the dawn of TV- boo friggin' hoo.

yup the golden age of analog tv is over, its an all digital game now!

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Jack Todd: Hockey Night in Canada? More like Hockey Night in Toronto

The Maple Leafs are stuffed down our throats 24/7 by the national media, including TSN. Even the print media are not entirely blameless: see last fall’s mind-bending headline: “Is Morgan Rielly greater than Orr?”

“When I thought about that,” Hughson went on, “I looked back to 2012 and thought about how Patrick Kane, a 24-year-old for the Chicago Blackhawks, got into a little trouble with too many cameras around in Wisconsin that summer, and what did he do? He came back and was the Conn Smythe Trophy winner and won the Stanley Cup (in 2013.)
“And that’s how you put a little problem behind you.”
Before that stunning bit of foolery escaped his mouth, the worst I thought of Hughson was he’s colourless and a little dull. With that one comment, Hughson veered dangerously into Don Cherry territory, waxing offensive on our national, taxpayer-funded network.

In their lust for that all-important southern Ontario demographic, Sportsnet, TSN and the CBC risk offending hockey fans in six other pretty significant markets. If the only road to that coveted 7 p.m. Saturday night CBC slot with Hockey Night in Canada is through Toronto, an inevitable side effect is the Leafs will become the most hated team in the country.
Check that. Thanks to our national media, they already are

Didn't realize that there was a thread on the main board.

Oh! Well.

Do these guys not watch the Calgary/Edmonton/Vancouver games that follow the Leaf games on HNIC? Too bad, it's a business and the Leafs have the biggest audience and generate the most money.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Jack Todd: HNIC is dividing hockey fans from coast to coast

Jack Todd doubling down in his latest article.

Here's a comment on Toronto fans:

Of the letters I received, 95 per cent were positive. Without exception, the negative letters came from Leaf fans, divided equally between attempts at an articulate defence of the HNIC approach and the inevitable “your a idiot” letters from charter members of Ford Nation.

giphy.gif

Could we stop giving this guy any attention?

Rondo Hatton

Dec 20, 2013
Obvious what his game is and it's played out. Are people really being held down and forced to watch Leaf games. Calgary/Edmonton/Vancouver games not on tv because of the Leafs? Can people ever stick to facts? I dream of the day that LeafTV actually becomes useful - carries all our games exclusively and nonLeaf fans simply can't ever set eyes upon our team - oh that would be lovely.

RoC can have Hughson, Simpson, Cherry and the rest. We'll take our local guys doing our games and everyone is happy

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Obvious what his game is and it's played out. Are people really being held down and forced to watch Leaf games. Calgary/Edmonton/Vancouver games not on tv because of the Leafs? Can people ever stick to facts? I dream of the day that LeafTV actually becomes useful - carries all our games exclusively and nonLeaf fans simply can't ever set eyes upon our team - oh that would be lovely.

RoC can have Hughson, Simpson, Cherry and the rest. We'll take our local guys doing our games and everyone is happy
Seriously. I think guys like this writer think that most of us give a crap that we're the "feature" on CBC. I could care less. Give me another channel that plays every Leafs game and I'm fine.

The writer is projecting. He desperately wants to feel important.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Careful - you're dating yourself! Although not as bad as remembering that you had to listen to the first period on the radio, because the tv broadcast only started with the second period.

Or when you could smoke and watch on the old stone tube. The good old days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad