News Article: Jack Todd: Hockey Night in Canada? More like Hockey Night in Toronto

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
And yet, we have some Toronto kid, wearing a Habs jersey, being interviewed and shown on TV during a Leafs home game. :ha:

And, what about that kid that's an Ovechkin fan? He gets air time too during a Leafs home game! :thumbd:

Sure, it's Toronto, and nothing but Toronto! :sarcasm:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I met him once at a school function, he said he plays up the Leaf thing, he knows what makes money. He's pretty funny in person.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Dont ever discredit Uncle Don like that. The amount of work he has put into supporting hockey players and soldiers is more good then I'm sure you have ever done in your life. Now gtfo

What are you talking about?

That was a quote from Jack Todd!

Anyone on here knows that I have never pissed on Mr Cherry at all.

Idiotic statement.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
its funny how he mentioned the Hughson and Matthews thing, he figures the announcers are homers for the leafs, to me Hughson and Simpson are anything but homers, they hate the leafs and can tell by the way they announce the games its quite obvious.
for something that is supposed to be a home game for us, it sure feels like many of those games are on the road.

Reactions: rubous

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If he cannot understand this comes down to dollars and cents, he is a dumb as he comes off in his articles.
Leafs have by far the largest English fan base in the country, meaning the most eyes on the screen, meaning the most advertising dollars can be made when they are on.
That is really it. There were some very good articles written about this in years past that included comments from the TV and advertising execs stating as much.
I am okay with all non-Leaf fans hating our team and our fan base, we already hate most of them and theirs :razz:
HNIC was created by and for leafs home games, wayyyy back in the day and now that it is the juggernaut that it is , others want to horn in on it, bahahaha screwwwwww that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A great way to get exposure for your second rate team is to spend time and energy talking about the thing that's taking attention away from it!

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Jack Todd: HNIC is dividing hockey fans from coast to coast

Jack Todd doubling down in his latest article.

Here's a comment on Toronto fans:

Of the letters I received, 95 per cent were positive. Without exception, the negative letters came from Leaf fans, divided equally between attempts at an articulate defence of the HNIC approach and the inevitable “your a idiot” letters from charter members of Ford Nation.

giphy.gif

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Jack Todd: Hockey Night in Canada? More like Hockey Night in Toronto

The Maple Leafs are stuffed down our throats 24/7 by the national media, including TSN. Even the print media are not entirely blameless: see last fall’s mind-bending headline: “Is Morgan Rielly greater than Orr?”

“When I thought about that,” Hughson went on, “I looked back to 2012 and thought about how Patrick Kane, a 24-year-old for the Chicago Blackhawks, got into a little trouble with too many cameras around in Wisconsin that summer, and what did he do? He came back and was the Conn Smythe Trophy winner and won the Stanley Cup (in 2013.)
“And that’s how you put a little problem behind you.”
Before that stunning bit of foolery escaped his mouth, the worst I thought of Hughson was he’s colourless and a little dull. With that one comment, Hughson veered dangerously into Don Cherry territory, waxing offensive on our national, taxpayer-funded network.

In their lust for that all-important southern Ontario demographic, Sportsnet, TSN and the CBC risk offending hockey fans in six other pretty significant markets. If the only road to that coveted 7 p.m. Saturday night CBC slot with Hockey Night in Canada is through Toronto, an inevitable side effect is the Leafs will become the most hated team in the country.
Check that. Thanks to our national media, they already are

Didn't realize that there was a thread on the main board.

Oh! Well.

If you don't like it , change the channel ! :tvhappy:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad