Jack Johnson

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I notice you missed my comment. Let's hear specific reasons.

Burns and Byfuglien are different people - but, in fact both teams have moved them back to D after the experiment of moving them to F. They still do it on occasion, Buff more than Burns I believe. Most D can "play" on the wing, of course, but can they do it at an NHL level? Can they make the reads they have to make on the wing? Can they handle the new angles? - and all of this at NHL speed?

I don't think you understand the difficulty of what you're asking here, which is why I want to know more from you about how well thought out this idea is. No offense, but I don't know that you realize what all a F does on the ice (and D for that matter)

It's like asking a linebacker to move to running back in football. He might be kind of effective in short bursts, but over time he'll be less than nearly anyone else trained at that position unless he's a freak of nature, 1:1000000 guy - maybe that helps?

Sorry for stating my opinion.... didn't mean to cause an uproar. I'll refrain from posting on the CBJ board from now on. My idiotic opinions aren't needed around here it seems anyways. Thanks!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sorry for stating my opinion.... didn't mean to cause an uproar. I'll refrain from posting on the CBJ board from now on. My idiotic opinions aren't needed around here it seems anyways. Thanks!

It's not unfair to ask for reasons why you hold said opinion. And it's not unfair to ask again if you avoid providing answers the first time. You want to improve your chance of having your opinion seen as credible, then provide some reasoning. Thanks!

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

You stated your opinion. I wondered why you feel that way and wanted some specifics to support your reasoning. Seems like a pretty reasonable discourse to me. :shrug:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's not unfair to ask for reasons why you hold said opinion. And it's not unfair to ask again if you avoid providing answers the first time. You want to improve your chance of having your opinion seen as credible, then provide some reasoning. Thanks!

I have no idea if Jack would make a good forward, and neither do you. I have no burden of proof. Any proof that we get will come with trying it. If we don't try it we will just never have proof.

In any case Jack is playing well now, and Murray is injured, so I'm not itching to move Jack around. But when his play falls off again, it would be nice to know how he does at forward.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
2 goals, 4 assists, and -1 rating are Jack's stats in his last 10 games. He's also been playing close to 30 minutes per game for the last little while. I don't see how that production improves much, if any, at Forward.

He's actually been playing solid D of late, and has been a physical force. He has been looking like a legit, top Defenseman ( subjective, I know ). Overall, he's starting to live up to expectations, and play to his capability. It's not a coincidence that the team is looking better, now that he is playing better. Like it or not, he is our top Defenseman. He eats up more time per game than any other skater for a reason.
As I said, living up to expectations; which is to be a game changer and a presence every time he's on the ice.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I have no idea if Jack would make a good forward, and neither do you. I have no burden of proof. Any proof that we get will come with trying it. If we don't try it we will just never have proof.

In any case Jack is playing well now, and Murray is injured, so I'm not itching to move Jack around. But when his play falls off again, it would be nice to know how he does at forward.

Well, I don't recall asking you to defend said position, let alone offer "proof". But thanks for playing in such a way that makes me think it's probably not worth my continued participation in the discussion.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Jack Johnson -22 this season. Dead last of 770 players ranked.

Reasons to overlook:

He plays a ton of minutes
He faces the top opposition
He has had some personal issues
Most of that happened during the dark period
Almost forgot this one - its a team stat not really indicative of his play

Thoughts?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jack Johnson -22 this season. Dead last of 770 players ranked.

Reasons to overlook:

He plays a ton of minutes
He faces the top opposition
He has had some personal issues
Most of that happened during the dark period
Almost forgot this one - its a team stat not really indicative of his play

Thoughts?

JJ has always been a terrible +/- player. Here's an old link...don't have time right now to look further:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...ith-mind-blowing-career-plus-?urn=nhl-wp17111

Jack Johnson, Minus-81

The Los Angeles Kings defenseman joined the team before its late-decade resurgence, but his status as a minus man has continued. Johnson's minus-21 last season was a career low, in the same season he posted a career-high 42 points. He was a minus-4 in the 2005-06 World Juniors. He was a minus-4 at worlds last season. It's like he's allergic to being a plus player. But the real kicker: He's a minus-81 in just 297 games.[/QUOTE

I look at Johnson as a valuable player who, unfortunately, is prone to a lot of mental lapses.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I could care less about plus-minus. It is a bit alarming that he is dead last, and his career plus minus is atrocious. But like you said, it is a team stat. So many fluky things could happen. Not to mention he was on a few terrible LA Kings teams.

He's playing some great hockey right now.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I could care less about plus-minus. It is a bit alarming that he is dead last, and his career plus minus is atrocious. But like you said, it is a team stat. So many fluky things could happen. Not to mention he was on a few terrible LA Kings teams.

He's playing some great hockey right now.

I'm not concerned about his play with the Kings. It is this season that is concerning. I can buy fluky things causing some of his -22 but he has to have contributed to some of that.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You don't end up dead last on your team in +/- several times in your career because of "flukey things".

Plus/minus has two problems with it: 1) the difficulty of separating out linemate effects, 2) sample size. Neither one of those problems are at play when you are dead last in +/- as often as Jack is. We know its not his linemates dragging him down because they get their minuses with him and their pluses without him (otherwise their +/- would be closer to his), and we know Jack does this every year.

All this attention paid to Jack's personal woes - have folks forgotten that he was just as bad, if not worse, last year in October and November?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Anyways, we all know that Jack can, at times, be a great defenceman. We don't stand a hope of getting to the playoffs or anywhere in the playoffs if he isn't on this team playing great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad