Jack Johnson

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I didn't see a Jack Johnson player discussion thread, apologies in advanced if there already is one. I've been thinking lately... I've saw this idea discussed before. I truly think that Jack Johnson should transition and be switched to a forward (a la Big Buff/Brent Burns) when and IF the CBJ get as healthy as they can be. If this happened, CBJ would need to look into acquiring a top pairing defenseman. Just curious to see what some of you think.

I truly believe at this time and point in JJ's career that he'd be better off playing as a forward for us. Thoughts? :sarcasm:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Jack is playing better and better now. But I'd still try him at forward for a bit. We have enough depth at D right now but nothing at forward. Give him a week at forward, see what happens.

And before anyone says "we can't do that, it probably won't work!" I'm saying let's try it and see what happens. I have no idea what will happen, and you probably don't either.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
what is your argument as to why he should stay as a defenseman instead of being used as a forward just curious...

I'll flip that around - what exactly is it about JMFJ's game that makes you think he'd be a good forward? Be specific and please tell me it's more than "he can score goals"

On your question, my answer would be that JMFJ's natural position is a defenseman, and it's something he does reasonable well. I'm not sure any perceived benefit at F is worth the loss at D.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
No. He needs to stay at D and he's playing playoff JJ recently.

Yeah, this. He's been amazing of late. He's really stepped it up. He's been clearing opposition players out of the blue paint, taking away cross-crease passes ( he and Savard have done a great job of that, especially on the PK, which has been terrific of late ).
And in case you missed it, he broke up a 4 on 1. Not a 2 on 1, not a 3 on 1, a full blown FOUR VS ONE. And not against the Sabres, but against a top 3 offense.
He also shut down players like Kane, Toews, Hossa, etc. He has been beast. Start actually paying attention, and comprehend what's going on out there.

Another thing, can we please stop ripping on guys like JJ, Joey and Wiz? The team is 8-0-1 in the last 9, and for a 3rd consecutive Saturday have defeated a powerhouse team, with damn near half of the roster injured.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
This is an argument that could have been made when his defensive play was shoddy, but now he has gone back to being JMFJ again and has really turned it on. No reason to mess with something that works so well.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Let's take a guy who's been a defensemen his entire career and move him to forward...why exactly?

The Sharks moved Burns to forward and he exceeded expectations by miles. The Jets moved Buff to forward and he was impressive as well.... both players have played defense for mostly their whole career...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Sharks moved Burns to forward and he exceeded expectations by miles. The Jets moved Buff to forward and he was impressive as well.... both players have played defense for mostly their whole career...

Burns was drafted as a forward. Converted to defenseman

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio

And the Jackets tried JLGP at forward once and that worked out great. :sarcasm:

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle
JMFJ belongs where he is. Maybe if he keeps hitting people on the regular he will grow to harness Playoff JMFJ in the regular season more often. He is absolutely scary when he throws his body around, i swear its like a mountain of muscle hitting a pile of jello (opposing forwards). I agree the team would benefit from him shooting more (from the blue line) too. Like someone else said, there is no one good enough to cover his 24+ mins anyway (esp. with erixon traded).

More than anything I just want to see JMFJ physically dominant the opposition when he's on the ice. He can really wreck some people when he decides to, and he can carry the puck up as well or better than anyone but foligno and johansen. The guy could make tom wilson look like callista flockhart and that needs to be part of his game more often. He's on another level when he's physical. go JMFJ!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Byfuglien is an unfortunate example, as indications are that he actually produces more effectively as a blueliner, and actually prefers to be on the backend. "Can" != "should".

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

You realize they play different styles, right? No? Didn't think so.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

I notice you missed my comment. Let's hear specific reasons.

Burns and Byfuglien are different people - but, in fact both teams have moved them back to D after the experiment of moving them to F. They still do it on occasion, Buff more than Burns I believe. Most D can "play" on the wing, of course, but can they do it at an NHL level? Can they make the reads they have to make on the wing? Can they handle the new angles? - and all of this at NHL speed?

I don't think you understand the difficulty of what you're asking here, which is why I want to know more from you about how well thought out this idea is. No offense, but I don't know that you realize what all a F does on the ice (and D for that matter)

It's like asking a linebacker to move to running back in football. He might be kind of effective in short bursts, but over time he'll be less than nearly anyone else trained at that position unless he's a freak of nature, 1:1000000 guy - maybe that helps?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I notice you missed my comment. Let's hear specific reasons.

Burns and Byfuglien are different people - but, in fact both teams have moved them back to D after the experiment of moving them to F. They still do it on occasion, Buff more than Burns I believe. Most D can "play" on the wing, of course, but can they do it at an NHL level? Can they make the reads they have to make on the wing? Can they handle the new angles? - and all of this at NHL speed?

I don't think you understand the difficulty of what you're asking here, which is why I want to know more from you about how well thought out this idea is. No offense, but I don't know that you realize what all a F does on the ice (and D for that matter)

It's like asking a linebacker to move to running back in football. He might be kind of effective in short bursts, but over time he'll be less than nearly anyone else trained at that position unless he's a freak of nature, 1:1000000 guy - maybe that helps?

I think you're way overstating your case. Both Burns and Buff were effective forwards- right now both the Sharks and Jets have more relative depth at forward, so they've moved back, but they would be moved to forward again if necessary. Drop this 1 in a million crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad