Jack Johnson leaves Michigan and is a KING!!!

gorrillaunit18

why?

is jack johnson's plus/minus so awful through his first few games? is he doing that bad? i have not been watching the games.
thanks

skolgoar

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Well, considering Jack Johnson was drafted 3rd overall I'll show the top-3 picks from '88-'97 (I figure that 10 years from being drafted is enough time to establish yourself).
<snip - a lot of useless data that assumes players of exactly the same talent are available every season>

Really, most years there is at least one player in the top-3 who doesn't come very close to what they were supposed to do. Also, out of those 10 years only 6 players became franchise players.

Take a look at the top 3 picks in JJ's draft year,
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Bobby Ryan
3. Jack Johnson

If you really believe one is going to be a bust, I would probably choose Ryan, who is playing like he has more interest in following Daigle than any other top pick in recent years (well, perhaps except for Angelo Esposito). Taking Ryan out of the mix, JJ was chosen in a season where one of the best players in a generation went #1. To be chosen 3rd in that draft year is nothing to sneeze at.

Perhaps a better way to analyze JJ's potential is to look how the #1 chosen dmen have faired in the past ... especially when they have been one of the top 3 (or even top 5) picks ... almost every one of those dmen haven't only been #1 dmen, they have also been impact players.

skolgoar

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
in no way am i saying that jack johnson isn't a good player, but usually you want a franchise dman not to take that many ****ing penalties!

Have you ever heard of Chris Chelios? Chris Pronger? Both of those guys have been accused of taking bad penalties theoughout their career ...

Mr_Jones*

I <heart> Jack Johnson.

The guys goes into the NHL with no training camp preparation. And for the previous 5 months, he was in college, which is way below the NHL. So that was bad preparation.

5 months of college - bad prepartation.
nothing - neutral preparation.
NHL training camp - good preparation.

And even with that, he's held his own.

Game 1 (vs. Vancouver): made one mistake by not taking his man on the pk. He also made an errant pass later in the game. Thats it. His minus for the game was on an ENG.

Game 2 (@ San Jose): His minus for the game was on the early goal. Unfortunitely, NBC was showing golf (ugh) at the time, so its hard to say if it was his fault or not. Looked good otherwise.

Game 3 (@ Vancouver): Once again, his minus was for an ENG. He looked good otherwise.

Game 4 (@ Phoenix): A -2 this time. The first one was completely not his fault. Someone else made a pass which was intercepted, leading to an open look for Phoenix. The second, though, was him. He made a pass at the blueline of the coyotes zone, witch hit roenick, leading to a mini-breakaway, which eventually lead to a goal.

So overall, 2-4 errors for JJ. Not bad given the situation he was put in. He's basically the Kings best overall defenseman right now. He has also looked comfortale carrying the puck. And in one of the two middle games, he nearly scored on a nice wrist shot (hit the post).

And remember, he's playing a season earlier than some similar players (Weber, Phaneuf).

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
Jack Johnson just had his first fight. He got hit with a few big rights but he held his ground. You could tell he hasn't fought a lot but it's good to see him stand up for himself.

Randall Graves*

Take a look at the top 3 picks in JJ's draft year,
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Bobby Ryan
3. Jack Johnson

If you really believe one is going to be a bust, I would probably choose Ryan, who is playing like he has more interest in following Daigle than any other top pick in recent years (well, perhaps except for Angelo Esposito). Taking Ryan out of the mix, JJ was chosen in a season where one of the best players in a generation went #1. To be chosen 3rd in that draft year is nothing to sneeze at.

Perhaps a better way to analyze JJ's potential is to look how the #1 chosen dmen have faired in the past ... especially when they have been one of the top 3 (or even top 5) picks ... almost every one of those dmen haven't only been #1 dmen, they have also been impact players.
:biglaugh:

What do you base that on? Ryan just posted a 100 point season playing with guys nowhere near his talent level, and now he's playing very well in the AHL. Daigle? Come on, you don't seem to know a whole lot about this guy..

Hrudey92

Feb 17, 2007

two fights on the day, as Doan runs Garon and Johnson goes right after him. Only a few games into his career and hes standing up for his teammates like our veterans should. This kid is going to be a force!

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
:biglaugh:

What do you base that on? Ryan just posted a 100 point season playing with guys nowhere near his talent level, and now he's playing very well in the AHL. Daigle? Come on, you don't seem to know a whole lot about this guy..

now im not saying Ryan will be the next Daigle, but Daigle in a worse situation scored more points in about the same amount of games in the same league, and appearntly playing styles are the same. This is what hes basing it on.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Johnson, at 20, just showed a ton of leadership ability today by dropping the gloves twice and defending his teammate by challenging Doan. Even if he was mismatched and has no experience dropping the gloves, he didn't fear going up against someone who has a history of fighting (Carcillo) or a respected veteran (Doan).

Can't wait for late August/early September when camp starts and seeing Johnson with the team from the start. You can see how he's going to become a competitive leader. He has the fire, passion and desire to become a successful player. People knocking Johnson this early on aren't looking at the 'big' picture.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

1995 - Bryan Berard, Wade Redden, Aki Berg
1996 - Chris Phillips, Andrei Zyuzin, Richard Jackman
1997 - Eric Brewer
1998 - Brad Stuart, Bryan Allen, Vitally Vishnevsky
1999 - None *First Defenseman: Branislav Mezei*
2000 - Rostislav Klesla
2001 - None *First Defenseman: Mike Komisarek*
2002 - Jay Bouwmeester, Joni Pitkanen, Ryan Whitney
2003 - None *First Defenseman: Ryan Suter*
2004 - Cam Barker

2003 was a GREAT year for defensemen. Aside from that, how many of those players left ont he list are what you would consider slam dunk impact players?

Redden would fit. Aside from him, it's a tough call on anybody else. Phillips is a great defensive defenseman, but he's not an impact player in the conventional sense of being able to take over a game.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
1995 - Bryan Berard, Wade Redden, Aki Berg
1996 - Chris Phillips, Andrei Zyuzin, Richard Jackman
1997 - Eric Brewer
1998 - Brad Stuart, Bryan Allen, Vitally Vishnevsky
1999 - None *First Defenseman: Branislav Mezei*
2000 - Rostislav Klesla
2001 - None *First Defenseman: Mike Komisarek*
2002 - Jay Bouwmeester, Joni Pitkanen, Ryan Whitney
2003 - None *First Defenseman: Ryan Suter*
2004 - Cam Barker

2003 was a GREAT year for defensemen. Aside from that, how many of those players left ont he list are what you would consider slam dunk impact players?

Redden would fit. Aside from him, it's a tough call on anybody else. Phillips is a great defensive defenseman, but he's not an impact player in the conventional sense of being able to take over a game.

Pikanen, Whitney and Bouwmeester is starting to become that.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Pikanen, Whitney and Bouwmeester is starting to become that.

I agree on that for sure. My caveat was aside from 2002 which was an exceptional year for the position. I also didn't intend to demean Johnson with bringing those examples to light, the poster simply made an assertation which was inaccurate.

Randall Graves*

now im not saying Ryan will be the next Daigle, but Daigle in a worse situation scored more points in about the same amount of games in the same league, and appearntly playing styles are the same. This is what hes basing it on.
Yeah but i'm pretty sure BR actually likes playing the game though, and he's far more mature than Daigle was, atleast early in his career. I don't think Bobby will be better than Jack Johnson, but from what i've seen he'll end up being a very good player. His playmaking and passing is excellent and as he plays with more skilled guys the more people will see it...not trying to hijack this thread though, I really don't see any of the top 10 picks being total busts to be honest, but alot can happen.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
two fights on the day, as Doan runs Garon and Johnson goes right after him. Only a few games into his career and hes standing up for his teammates like our veterans should. This kid is going to be a force!

Yeah, wow, if you call getting beat up twice, yeah he's going to be quite the force!! He looked like a turtle against Carcillo and he never even threw a punch against Doan. Just because his gloves slipped off doesn't mean he was fighting. He better watch it or it's going to be a short career!

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I get the feeling a lot of folks up canada way just can't stand the idea of this guy being any good. I have not been following this, but what is up with that.

Hrudey92

Feb 17, 2007
Yeah, wow, if you call getting beat up twice, yeah he's going to be quite the force!! He looked like a turtle against Carcillo and he never even threw a punch against Doan. Just because his gloves slipped off doesn't mean he was fighting. He better watch it or it's going to be a short career!

bitter much? go leafs.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The guy has been compared to Chelios and from these few games he has played, that looks like the much better comparison than the Scott Stevens ones.

He hasn't looked for the open ice hit much but has been rather tough and physical along the boards and in front of the net, much like Chelios.
His fighting skills seem to be pretty bad, which is to be expected, much like Chelios's fighting skills are rather weak. That being said, Chelios was always in the middle of the rough stuff and I expect Johnson to be very similar.

He now has a nice rivalry going with Shane Doan, something that's really nice to see from a young defensemen who is supposed to help carry a franchise. He was physical with Doan on Thursday night and was all over him yesterday; his first fight against Carcillo was because JJ leveled Doan behind the net with a borderline late hit about 1:30 before Carcillo came over. On JJ's first shift after the fight, he held the puck in at the point and Doan came over to deliver a bit of a late hit; instead of getting a hit, Doan got a crosscheck near his face.

Johnson would have dropped them immediately with Doan but he didn't want to pick up the instigator and auto suspension/fines that come with it. Shane Doan, knowing that he and Gretzky are exempt from this rule, went ahead and dropped them immediately, catching the rookie off guard. Should have been two for roughing to JJ and the instigator/suspension to Doan. I hate the rule and I'm glad it wasn't called, but that is what should have happened and it's why JJ looked so hapless.

His breakout passes are already better than anyone on the team not named Blake or Visnovsky, and he appears on par with these guys already in that department. He looked great in his defensive reads yesterday, forcing guys wide and behind the net by using his excellent skating. He will be a force on the PP when he's not paired with guys named Modry,Dallman, Heward. or Weaver.

He didn't come in and score any points, let alone the 50 in 5 games some people were expecting. The fact that he's playing on a team whose best defensemen yesterday was Jaroslav Modry speaks volumes though. Drop him on a team with a solid d-corp and give him 20 minutes of ice and I guarantee he would have scored some points this year.

There isn't a prospect in the league that is under more scrutiny or has so many people WANTING him to bust. This isn't me being a homer or anything but I'm sorry: it's not going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad