Prospect Info: Jack Hughes

Does he stay in single digits? Or into the football #s

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
After reading this I’m left feeling that there is a 0% chance Hughes will be a bust and that he is definitely playing in the nhl next year.

Didn’t pat kane take a couple years to enter the league because he needed to bulk up? Would it be best for Hughes to dominate the ahl first ?

Everyone is seeming to slot him in at 2c already for next year but I don’t want to rush him and have him get injured

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
After reading this I’m left feeling that there is a 0% chance Hughes will be a bust and that he is definitely playing in the nhl next year.

Didn’t pat kane take a couple years to enter the league because he needed to bulk up? Would it be best for Hughes to dominate the ahl first ?

Everyone is seeming to slot him in at 2c already for next year but I don’t want to rush him and have him get injured

Nico came in immediately and was able to handle 1C duties and by all accounts Hughes should be a better player expect defensively.

They are going to be able to protect him matchup wise with Nico and Zajac.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Nico came in immediately and was able to handle 1C duties and by all accounts Hughes should be a better player expect defensively.

But that's why Hughes likely wont be slotted at 1C right away, it's a defensive liability.

Hell, I'd put the kid on as 3C for at least 8 or 10 games to let him learn to swim.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Hughes shift by shift vs Minnesota.

Tricky here because Hughes and his team mates are 17 playing against a college team.

I'm not seeing McDavid level speed here though which I never really expected but if we say he is the same level of skater then, ya know. I also expected flashier hands.

Super fluid though, skating for sure, and a deft passer no doubt. I see more crafty then spectacular. A little face off play early in the 3rd was sneaky good, some nice footwork with the puck about 5 minutes into the 3rd.

But again, he is 17 and Minnesota I'm sure has some 22-23-24 year olds out there. And he is consistently setting up team mates with nice passes for good chances.

I watched a bit of Hughes in the U20 USA vs Canada game from this summer too, and I'm seeing the same stuff. Not jumping off the screen as a generational talent, but again pretty young vs the competiton.

I need to find some vid's from the U-18 tourney, a 5-7-12 in 7 gp statline suggests some real dominance. And even then he was 16. Played the U-17 tourney that same season and put up 5-10-15 in 6 gp. Highly doubt I'll find a shift by shift from that tourney.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
fine with him as 3c or starting on a wing if he needs to get stronger or learn the d side of the game more

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Kane played in the NHL right after being drafted and put up 72 points.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

Kane went straight to the NHL and posted 72 points in his draft + 1 season. Edit: since Nico beat me to this, I'll add I think the last first OA pick who didn't go straight to the NHL was Eric Johnson. The last forward was probably Ovechkin (lockout).

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenToddIves

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Hughes shift by shift vs Minnesota.

Tricky here because Hughes and his team mates are 17 playing against a college team.

I'm not seeing McDavid level speed here though which I never really expected but if we say he is the same level of skater then, ya know. I also expected flashier hands.

Super fluid though, skating for sure, and a deft passer no doubt. I see more crafty then spectacular. A little face off play early in the 3rd was sneaky good, some nice footwork with the puck about 5 minutes into the 3rd.

But again, he is 17 and Minnesota I'm sure has some 22-23-24 year olds out there. And he is consistently setting up team mates with nice passes for good chances.

I watched a bit of Hughes in the U20 USA vs Canada game from this summer too, and I'm seeing the same stuff. Not jumping off the screen as a generational talent, but again pretty young vs the competiton.

I need to find some vid's from the U-18 tourney, a 5-7-12 in 7 gp statline suggests some real dominance. And even then he was 16. Played the U-17 tourney that same season and put up 5-10-15 in 6 gp. Highly doubt I'll find a shift by shift from that tourney.

Here is a recent shift-by-shift video: Jack Hughes vs Des Moines | Mar 23 2019

And yeah, the OP seems very optimistic. For example, I'd say the person in NHL who has McDavid's speed and Kane's hands is... McDavid. Anyway, don't expect a Kane, I don't think they play the game alike at all.

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
its not much of a choice, do you want a johnny gaudreau, or a alexsander barkov (but not a Center) a

The last game Hughes played when team usa lost in the third period, on how he was a taylor hall/parise trying to will the team to win, was all i needed to see. scoring chance, after scoring chance, after scoring chance... nobody could touch him (granted larger ice)

fyi, i do not see him anyway close to a mcdavid, but i think he can acquire to be so

Reactions: Oneiro

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
And yeah, the OP seems very optimistic. For example, I'd say the person in NHL who has McDavid's speed and Kane's hands is... McDavid. Anyway, don't expect a Kane, I don't think they play the game alike at all.

What is with the sudden rash of Finnish posters running down Hughes? LOL

So weird. It's funny, as Americans, we dont care if the best player in the draft is a Swede or a Canuck or a Russian etc...., but apparently numerous Finns get their panties in multiple knots about this stuff.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

So weird. It's funny, as Americans, we dont care if the best player in the draft is a Swede or a Canuck or a Russian etc...., but apparently numerous Finns get their panties in multiple knots about this stuff.

I peaked my head in the Hughes mainbord thread a few weeks ago and it was non-stop this.

It’s weird. Doubly so because no one is shit-talking Kakko to make them defensive about it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I’m pretty sure the last first overall pick that did not play in the NHL the year of their draft was Erik Johnson back in 2006. Kane played in the NHL directly after the drafty.

Hughes will be in the NHL this year. And I’m pretty sure he isn’t even eligible for the AHL until 2021-2022 anyway.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

It was the same with Laine and Matthews. National pride from a small country in "your guy" is understandable, but it does get a bit annoying.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
ak2hvne94gr21.jpg

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Zacha - Hughes - Palmieri

Absolutely love the look of that. Then you also have Coleman and Zajac fully capable of playing a shutdown role on your third line.

Address the defense somehow and this team will be in terrific shape. Hopefully winning the lottery will potentially help Sheros ability to trade for a defender or convince someone we need to sign here.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Zacha - Hughes - Palmieri

Absolutely love the look of that. Then you also have Coleman and Zajac fully capable of playing a shutdown role on your third line.

Address the defense somehow and this team will be in terrific shape. Hopefully winning the lottery will potentially help Sheros ability to trade for a defender or convince someone we need to sign here.

I find myself seriously contemplating Karlsson. But I’m not sure that would be wise beyond the next season or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad