Jack Hughes, Taylor Hall, PK Subban: Devils a contender?

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Crazy talk. The Devils dont have a center anywhere on the level of ROR, Pietrangelo and Parayko are both better than Subban, Dunn is better than any defender the Devils have outside PK, and you have wildly unrealistic expectations if you think Blackwood will have anywhere near the season Binnington just did.

I would take Hughes+Hischier+Zajac over ROR any day of the week.
Pietrangelo, Parayko vs. Subban, Vatanen = Even
Dunn vs. Severson = Even
Hall vs. Tarasenko = Hall

Binnington was decent and had some clutch performances. Blackwood has an even bigger upside and is a more complete goalie. Started his NHL career with 2 straight shutouts.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Dunn vs. Severson = Even

And if you're comparing center depth you also need to add Schenn, Bozak, Thomas, Barbashev and Sundqvist which is a clear favorite to STL.

Like seriously, imagine thinking Vatanen is anywhere on the level of Parayko. Yikes.

Its fine to admit that you're wrong with this one and the Blues are miles ahead of the Devils. They just won the freaking Cup, the Devils just drafted 1st overall for the 2nd time in the last 3 seasons.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California

And if you're comparing center depth you also need to add Schenn, Bozak, Barbashev and Sundqvist which is a clear favorite to STL.

Clear favorite in the mind of a Rangers fan. But ask any other fan of other teams which trio of centers they would rather have and the response may not be to your liking.

Like seriously, imagine thinking Vatanen is anywhere on the level of Parayko. Yikes.

Both are top 4 pairing defensemen. Even if Parayko may be "considered" slightly above it is very close to call. Vatanen is a stud and true competitor.

Its fine to admit that you're wrong with this one and the Blues are miles ahead of the Devils. They just won the freaking Cup, the Devils just drafted 1st overall for the 2nd time in the last 3 seasons.

Colombus also swept Tampa Bay. They must be the better team according to your logic.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Clear favorite in the mind of a Rangers fan. But ask any other fan of other teams which trio of centers they would rather have and the response may not be to your liking.

Both are top 4 pairing defensemen. Even if Parayko may be "considered" slightly above it is very close to call. Vatanen is a stud and true competitor.

Colombus also swept Tampa Bay. They must be the better team according to your logic.

Parayko isn't a "top 4 defensemen". Hes an elite top pairing, borderline franchise level defensemen.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Dunn vs. Severson = Even
Hall vs. Tarasenko = Hall

Binnington was decent and had some clutch performances. Blackwood has an even bigger upside and is a more complete goalie. Started his NHL career with 2 straight shutouts.
Please stop

Neonmile

May 9, 2010
Laval
I'm not exactly sure what this Devils team upside is. But they suddenly they now have a pretty nice collection of elite/high-end talent in Hall, Subban, Hishier and Hughes. In a strong-link sport like hockey, that's a pretty good start. Caveat is the large age gap between the two pair.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Weren't the Blues not supposed to make the playoffs at the beginning of the year? We saw how that turned out.

Devils have the same core as the team that made the Playoffs a couple of years ago but they have also added:

Jack Hughes
PK Subban
Ty Smith

The hell? The Blues were seen as a legitimate Cup threat after they nabbed ROR and filled out the bottom-6 with the likes of Bozak, Maroon, etc.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This board picked NJ to be last in the league two years ago when they made the playoffs, so...

And this is a much better team on paper than that squad was (mind it's not even July yet, too).

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
They need more depth to be a contender but they can probably nab a divisional seed if things go well. There is still free agency to fill in, too.

Reactions: blink

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Well it's not a crazy statement. He didn't say the Devils were a better team but as far a just raw talent goes, you can make a good argument that the Devils might have more talented players

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Parity is huge. There might not be such thing as a true contender anymore. I think the Devils will be a top team in the metro, so I say that qualifies

Reactions: vshun

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
My answer is no, but I feel a bit better going into this season than last season. This team could very well contend for a playoff spot. They have some depth issues, and goaltending is something we just don't know about yet, but there is also some high end skill there. I'm very interested to see how Boqvist looks in camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad