Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafreniere?

Who’s the better prospect?

• Total voters

ijuka

May 14, 2016
However, Hughes didn't massively outproduce Matthews. Maybe in their birth years but in their actual playing years (ie. Draft -2 year)
Those aren't "actual playing years". Actual playing years are birth years. There's nothing as dumb as comparing "draft-1 draft-2" for players in a league like NTDP that's dictated by birth year. I would imagine that eventually people will get it. But I'm losing hope. "draft-1 draft-2" doesn't mean anything to a player until they actually are drafted. No development is affected by it. A September 17 in QMJHL doesn't have anything different about their development than a September 14 in QMJHL.

His scoring was 1.5-2.0 times Matthews's. And even higher in comparison to Eichel's. For their "actual playing years"(birth year).

Reactions: Akrapovince

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Those aren't "actual playing years". Actual playing years are birth years. There's nothing as dumb as comparing "draft-1 draft-2" for players in a league like NTDP that's dictated by birth year. I would imagine that eventually people will get it. But I'm losing hope. "draft-1 draft-2" doesn't mean anything to a player until they actually are drafted. No development is affected by it. A September 17 in QMJHL doesn't have anything different about their development than a September 14 in QMJHL.

His scoring was 1.5-2.0 times Matthews's. And even higher in comparison to Eichel's. For their "actual playing years"(birth year).

Never thought about that before, crazy to think how close development in terms of time potentially can be between a “d-1” and a drafted player can be.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
41342b04c350090816d524cf780d5edd--koala-meme-funny-koala.jpg

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/lefreniere-vs-j-hughes.2524931/page-5#post-148809413

Sundance

You Can Never Get To
Sep 7, 2010
Lillyhammer
I'm not qualified to say who is better - now or in the future - but I like saying "Lafreniere" so I hope it's him. That's a solid hockey name right there.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
PNHLe is a stat to compare a prospect's NHL point potential in their prime. Out of all players playing outside of the NHL last year (11 different leagues) It accounts for exact age, which means it doesn't matter which year a prospect was born or which month in the same birth year.
A. Lefreniere (110) had the highest PNHLe whereas J. Hughes (91) was third. E. Pettersen's (109) record-breaking year slotted him in second.

If you are interested in seeing full NHL team prospect lists and how they rank in PNHLe you can download the app in my signature. It's completely free (no ads)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Lafreniere has abosolutely nothing tangible on Hughes.

Well, that Lafrenière kid was not bad at the Hlinka tournament I heard? As team captain in his D-2 year, I might add.

Never said he was head and shoulders above Hugues or anything, but to say he has nothing tangible on Hugues is ridiculous.

They are both incredible prospects. Both performed as well or better than other franchise players previously in their respective leagues. They are at the very least comparable players, as poll results tend to indicate.

Can't wait to see them against one another at the U20. Even there, we'll have to wait another year to compare their performance since Hugues did not make the team last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
same hot air as the eichel >> over McD
:laugh:
how about one is very good the other is exceptional
Lol this comparison is in no way shape or form comparable to Eichel-McDavid. Hughes and Lafreniere are much closer in raw talent and hockey IQ. Eichel cant holds McDavids jockstrap.

Reactions: Pure

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I remember watching McDavid dominate the U18 WC as a double underaged player. He was more dominant then than Lafreniere was in this Hlinka tournament playing with his age group. He's not a McDavid level talent. That being said, Lafreniere is still a phenomenal prospect and I could see him play center in the NHL. I would however go with Hughes here, just breathtaking skill.

Both are great but neither come close to McDavid.

The numbers Lafreniere put up are almost identical to both Hall/MacKinnon so I see him more along those kind of 1st overall players (not an insult at all)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Depends on if Lafreniere becomes a center, but its close either way. Lafreniere had some of the best age adjusted D-2 production of any prospect ever.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Hughes literally just smashed Matthews’ numbers this year at the same age.

By same age you mean Hughes D-2 vs Matthews D-3? I mean Matthews joined the team after a summer tryout, no one knew who he was. He hadn't played against proper competition or had sufficient training in Arizona. Hughes had been developing in the best minor hockey league in the world, along with being the older kid in this comparison. So yeah, I would expect the numbers to be far better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 99664987

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like them both.. they are very different players. Different draft years very likely both #1oa. If they were in the same draft year .. I think Hughes would take it as of right now, but I would definitely see how this year goes and the levels of competition could be a factor.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Then he didn't smash his records at all, if you're comparing D-2 to D-2. Matthews actually was slightly more productive, though he was 8 months older.

What? Matthews is a late birthday. His u18 year was when he was 17/18. Jacks u18 was when he was 16/17. You don't compare d-2 v d-2 that's dumb because Matthews has an entire year extra development. Pre draft wise you compare by birth year. Therefore, Hughes outproduced him in the same league while being a year younger (in development ).

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
What? Matthews is a late birthday. His u18 year was when he was 17/18. Jacks u18 was when he was 16/17. You don't compare d-2 v d-2 that's dumb because Matthews has an entire year extra development. Pre draft wise you compare by birth year. Therefore, Hughes outproduced him in the same league while being a year younger (in development ).

But he didn't outproduce him while being a year younger (in development, which lol because of Matthews odd development path but whatever). This year he did not outproduce what Matthews did in 2014-2015. Matthews record of 117 points still stands.

He did outproduce what Matthews did in 2013-2014, substantially. But now Hughes is the older one in this comparison. You said he smashes his records while being a year younger.

Reactions: 99664987

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
By same age you mean Hughes D-2 vs Matthews D-3? I mean Matthews joined the team after a summer tryout, no one knew who he was. He hadn't played against proper competition or had sufficient training in Arizona. Hughes had been developing in the best minor hockey league in the world, along with being the older kid in this comparison. So yeah, I would expect the numbers to be far better.

I was basing it on their first eligible season of junior hockey as 16 year olds. They both split time on the 17 and 18s and Hughes out performed him handily. Hes 4 months older... So are you saying if Matthews grew up in Toronto he’d be better than Mcdavid? That is an entirely different and irrelevent argument.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
But he didn't outproduce him while being a year younger (in development, which lol because of Matthews odd development path but whatever). This year he did not outproduce what Matthews did in 2014-2015.

He did outproduce what Matthews did in 2013-2014, substantially. But now Hughes is the older one in this comparison.

Okay I get it. Not outproduced but essentially match in ppg while being younger. Hughes didn't play as many games with the u18 team. I think it would have been close if he played as many games. Auston barely played with the u18 team at jacks current age.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
So are you saying if Matthews grew up in Toronto he’d be better than Mcdavid? That is an entirely different and irrelevent argument.

No, not at all. McDavid is a different beast altogether. I'm saying upon arrival at the US program Matthews was not nearly as polished or prepared as a kid who developed in a hockey hotbed. So I don't think his first season in the program is the best comparable for other prospects due to his non-traditional development path. Most won't make the leap he did in his second year.

And for the record, I think Hughes definitely has a chance to be better than Matthews.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad