Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafreniere?

Who’s the better prospect?

• Total voters

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
As much as every Canadian wishes Lafreniere to be the next generational talent and in the mold of Richard/Hull, he is not. As much as every American wishes that Hughes was a smaller version of McDavid, he too is not. The McDavid's and Crosby's do not come around very often. That is why they are called "generational" and neither Hughes or Lafreniere are generational. They are two very high end prospects that fit in quite well with the Mathews, Eichel's and MacKinnon's of the world.

I personally would give the slight edge to Hughes as he is far more dynamic with his edge work and has a shiftiness to him in the mold of both Gaudreau and Kane. I can easily see him being a 30 goal 50+ assist man in the NHL for a number of years. I'm not so sure of Lafreniere. He has the potential to be a 40+ goal scorer but he's one of those players who can also be something higher or lower. I think the jury is still out on him. He has the potential to be better than Hughes but also a notch or two below him as well.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I would take Lafreniere. Hughes is good but Lafreniere is just able to score and see the ice at such a higher level. Like people have said Hughes reminds me a lot of Jack Eichel, a speedy puck hound.

Lafreniere reminds me of McDavid/Crosby/Matthews in the way that he has the ability to change the game. He has such good hockey sense and vision.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I would take Lafreniere. Hughes is good but Lafreniere is just able to score and see the ice at such a higher level. Like people have said Hughes reminds me a lot of Jack Eichel, a speedy puck hound.

Lafreniere reminds me of McDavid/Crosby/Matthews in the way that he has the ability to change the game. He has such good hockey sense and vision.

I disagree with this. Although Lafreniere is a better pure scorer, Hughes imp has better vision. And would skate circles around Laf

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
As much as every Canadian wishes Lafreniere to be the next generational talent and in the mold of Richard/Hull, he is not. As much as every American wishes that Hughes was a smaller version of McDavid, he too is not. The McDavid's and Crosby's do not come around very often. That is why they are called "generational" and neither Hughes or Lafreniere are generational.

They are called "generational" because some pundits think they sound smart repeating such big but vaguely defined words. It's more an expression of hype than quality.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
According to Gretzky, he sees Lafreniere being a center in the NHL. For that, I would take him over Hughes. Because talent wise, he's up there. He's the real deal. And having a french franchise player in Montreal would be amazing.
been saying that to my buddy who works for the Q for almost a year! Lafreniere to me plays a Center game 100%. he keeps answering me he'll stay at wing because he's too good around the boards. lol

edit: doesn't matter, Both will be habs at the end of 2020!

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
still waiting for Kane to get hit... 11 year later!

i like both players, but theres something about hughes to me... i think Lafreniere might end up the more effective player, while hughes will be a highlight machine.

I was half kidding about Hughes being hit by Lafreniere. Would only happen if Hughes would try making circle around him (as someone claimed). I have Lafreniere projected as the better player, but as a habs fan I don't know who I'd rather pick.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
According to Gretzky, he sees Lafreniere being a center in the NHL. For that, I would take him over Hughes. Because talent wise, he's up there. He's the real deal. And having a french franchise player in Montreal would be amazing.
Not to diminish him, but Ive never heard 99 ever say negative things about anyone, and honestly he'd have no clue what position he'd play if he got to the NHL.

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
Hmm. Interesting debate. Now I am beginning to understand how scouts may see the game. I am more intrigued by the way the players look on the ice. The wow factor. And while I see some of that with Hughes vision on the ice, I am not sure his small stature will hold up in the NHL. And Lafreniere is not a great skater so he doesn't stand out in games I have watched. I think there are plenty of other prospects flying below the radar right now that may prove to be better pros than both of these kids. How many scouts and scout wannabes saw Jamie Benn as am NHL talent? McDavid always stood out even in games where he may have been held off the scoresheet he was a determining factor. I always enjoy watching him play. Good luck to both of these young men! The next 3-4 years will be very telling.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Hmm. Interesting debate. Now I am beginning to understand how scouts may see the game. I am more intrigued by the way the players look on the ice. The wow factor. And while I see some of that with Hughes vision on the ice, I am not sure his small stature will hold up in the NHL. And Lafreniere is not a great skater so he doesn't stand out in games I have watched. I think there are plenty of other prospects flying below the radar right now that may prove to be better pros than both of these kids. How many scouts and scout wannabes saw Jamie Benn as am NHL talent? McDavid always stood out even in games where he may have been held off the scoresheet he was a determining factor. I always enjoy watching him play. Good luck to both of these young men! The next 3-4 years will be very telling.

Hughes lacks size; Lefreniere lacks top speed - we get that, it is common knowledge. Raymond, Holtz, Broberg, Turcotte, Newhook, Kakko and Podkozin should give them a run for top pick. At the moment, considering their play and what they did in the last years, Hughes and Lafreniere are leading their respective draft and both look like franchise players. This is why we currently have this debate.

As for your example, Jamie Benn isn't the best player from his draft. He came out of the BCHL league and really improved after he was drafted as he only played in the big 3 seasons after his draft. Patrick Kane, who was considered the top pick was dominating the CHL and made the jump right away scoring 72 pts. Hughes and Lafreniere both look like they are on the same track as Kane was.

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
I appreciate your thoughts. And I agree with your sentiments that "at the moment, considering their play...". I still think there are players under the radar and not mentioned above that may end up becoming better pros, time will tell. Raymond and Holtz are 2002s and will have opportunities to play against their peers at international events. If they are dominating at the 2001 level, they should also easily dominate at the 2002 level. Should make for some fun to watch hockey!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I appreciate your thoughts. And I agree with your sentiments that "at the moment, considering their play...". I still think there are players under the radar and not mentioned above that may end up becoming better pros, time will tell. Raymond and Holtz are 2002s and will have opportunities to play against their peers at international events. If they are dominating at the 2001 level, they should also easily dominate at the 2002 level. Should make for some fun to watch hockey!

True but on draft day .. you have to go with the info you have.. There are usually what people consider off the board picks as well..or players getting picked ahead of where most see them going. There are many examples of players picked in later rounds becoming stars and surpassing others that went well ahead of them. If you can project some of those hidden gems as stars and would take them on draft day ahead of players excelling among their peers all the power to you .. that's tough to do consistently. Raymond and Holtz are top prospects in the 2020 draft... They are excellent players.. If you had to chose right now.. would you chose one of them over Lafreniere? That's the decision ... there is no wait and see. (well for these guys we wait and see for now, but hypothetically , if you had to chose today, which is the situation on draft day.)

Reactions: Acadien86

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
I see your point. I don't think I would take either of those swedes over the Canadian. And I don't see the Lafreniere as an exciting player to watch either.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I see your point. I don't think I would take either of those swedes over the Canadian. And I don't see the Lafreniere as an exciting player to watch either.

Lafreniere has an excitement to his game, he's physical and tough in the corners and can also do stuff like this:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I don't think either are on the level of McDavid. They don't have the speed of McDavid or the hands, and in Hughes case he doesn't have the size.

At the beginning of the season, I thought it was Hughes easily, and then after the U18s, the Ivan Hlinka, I started to see Lafreniere really impressing against his peers. I think he's made it really close between him and Hughes. Right now, I'm taking Hughes, but after the 2019 WJC, it could all change for me.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Lol this comparison is in no way shape or form comparable to Eichel-McDavid. Hughes and Lafreniere are much closer in raw talent and hockey IQ. Eichel cant holds McDavids jockstrap.

agreed but back then many on HF where big on how McD was not even close to Eichel

Reactions: Cotton

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I personally think Lefreniere's tool might make a better transition to the NHL. The skating part is hillarious. Lefreniere not a good skater ? what have these people been watching ? He is well above average for his age and only going to get better and stronger. Not much seperates him and Hughes, except Size. Jack Hughes is not exactly Quinton Hughes when it comes to skating too.

Reactions: grentthealien

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->