Prospect Info: Jack Hughes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’ll fan the flames since I subscribe to the Athletic, and because it’s more interesting than most of the usual fodder being discussed. In summation, it looks like two league “sources” were asked what it would take. One said a Lindros-type return. Another said to get to #2 (Rangers pick in case the Devils were enamored with Kakko) would cost “3 or 4 firsts” and multiple seconds. If you’re going to give me 4 firsts, especially from Vancouver, I consider it.

I’m guessing if a conversation actually took place it went something like this:

Benning: Hello Fred?

Shero: This is Ray. My dad was Fred.

Benning: Sorry Ray. I keep getting the two of you mixed up.

Shero: My dad passed away almost 30 years ago.

Benning: Well I still miss him. I have based most of my GM skills on what he did in the 1970’s.

Shero: Well he was more of a coach but thanks for the kind words.

Benning: Of course.

Uncomfortable silence

Shero: Did you call for anything else Jim? I’ve got a full plate right now with all these draft picks and various players coming up for extensions.

Benning: oh yeah I did call to ask you something.....

Shero: Ok what can I do for you?

Benning: Um um oh horse**** I forgot.

Shero: ok Jim just call me back when you....

Benning (interrupting): No wait I remember!!

Shero: OK what is it?

Benning: My doctor says those spots should go away on their own.

Shero: No Jim, what did you call me for now?

Benning: Right right....Some of my people told me that you have the first pick on the draft?

Shero: Yes. You were there for the lottery don’t you remember?

Benning: Oh is that what that was? I thought it was a costume party and I was made up as Bela Lugosi. But my people said you have that pick.

Shero: Yes we do. We are very excited and the fans are too. After the season they just had to sit through it was a nice treat for them and the team.

Benning: Yeah, anyway, you know we have this kid...(shuffles papers and clearly reading the name).... Jack Hughes.

Shero: Don’t you mean Quinn?

Benning: I always liked that old song.

Shero: No the player you have is Quinn Hughes. His brother Jack is in the draft this year.

Benning: Yeah, him. That’s what I wanted. I wanted Jack Hughes.

Shero: Well that’s a tall order. He’s not only a great prospect he’s got that first pick aura. Our fans are still enamored of Nico that way.

Benning: Well my people said I should offer (shuffles papers and clearly reading the names)....Lind and Juolevi.

Shero: is that it?

Benning: Um wait, let me look.. .. um there’s also a 1 and an R and D after it.

Shero: Do you mean a first round pick?

Benning: I guess so. I can’t think of what else that could be.

Shero: So the offer is A first round pick Lind and Juolevi?

Benning: Yes, for Quinine Hughes.

Shero: You mean Jack Hughes?

Benning: Yes that’s right.

Shero: Jim look at those papers.

Benning: OK?

Shero: Is the name Petterson anywhere on there?

Benning: Oh yes here in big red letters! It says don’t offer Petterson. What does that mean?

Shero: Jim I gotta go. It’s always a pleasure chatting with you but I’ve got another call coming in.

Benning: Oh ok. Thanks.

Shero hangs up phone and incredulously shakes head.

Benning hangs up phone stares into the distance and then starts humming the Battle Hymn of the Republic and starts eating from a bowl of raisinets on his desk.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The article is hilarious. The author is saying NHL people think it would take a "Lindros-like return". His example is if we pick Kaako and they trade with the rags:
“Three or four firsts. Four seconds and Vancouver takes back Marc Staal and Brendan Smith (who have a combined cap hit of roughly $10 million for the next two seasons)."

The hilarious part is that he asked Nucks fans what they'd propose. Their replies were stuff like their 10OA, Gaudette, Virtanen, and Markstrom for our 1OA, Schneider, and Zajac.
By asking Canucks fans, was he just reading the trade board on HF?

Reactions: My3Sons

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Don't have the Athletic, but some Cancuks writer has said the Canucks have checked in with Shero and the Devils to see the cost of moving up to #1.

What the Canucks would have to do to trade up for Jack...

I remember this nonsense with Nico and the #1 and it IS that time of the season, but there's no way in hell Shero trades this pick or he'd be crucified if it weren't for Pettersson...........right?

hed be crucified if it was for pettersson

Trading the #1 would be a PR and marketing nightmare, not that those should come into play if the return was right, but unless the return has a last name of McDavid, Mackinnon and the like, it ain't happening.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Sitting with the family or friends watching these playoff games... I see some attempted cross-ice passes or through the leg dekes or skating by the defender; and theyre all great. But I keep saying each time...

“You know who would have gotten that off?”
“Jack Hughes”

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I’m guessing if a conversation actually took place it went something like this:

Benning: Hello Fred?

Shero: This is Ray. My dad was Fred.

Benning: Sorry Ray. I keep getting the two of you mixed up.

Shero: My dad passed away almost 30 years ago.

Benning: Well I still miss him. I have based most of my GM skills on what he did in the 1970’s.

Shero: Well he was more of a coach but thanks for the kind words.

Benning: Of course.

Uncomfortable silence

Shero hangs up phone and incredulously shakes head.

Benning hangs up phone stares into the distance and then starts humming the Battle Hymn of the Republic and starts eating from a bowl of raisinets on his desk.

This first part about Fred and coach is brilliant! :D Now if only you could've worked in a reference to Fred's nickname The Fog. :D

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This first part about Fred and coach is brilliant! :D Now if only you could've worked in a reference to Fred's nickname The Fog. :D

I thought about it but I do these quickly on the fly and couldn’t come up with a funny way to work it in. I could have had Shero make a pun about Benning being in a fog at the end of the call but I didn’t want Shero to insult him. Shero seems like a dignified guy and above that sort of dialogue.

Reactions: Patrik26

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Jack Hughes vs Des Moines | Mar 23 2019

Shift-by-shift, #6 in white

edit: Ill add this - I do see a tendency in Hughes to, when he isn't near the play or moving away from it, coasts a bit instead of slowing to a near stop and moving toward the play (if need be). Nothing I think is too serious and should be easily fixed in practice/training in the NHL. In fact If I had to come up with a reason for it Id guess it's because he isn't necessarily challenged as much as most players in these leagues. But even if that isn't it and it is just a habit of his it can easily be bit in the ass and it wont affect him one bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OmNomNom

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If they desperately wanted the pick without giving up Pettersson i'd consider Horvat + Boeser + 10th OA for 1st OA + 34th OA.

I could almost see it making sense for Vancouver if they thought they could get someone like Panarin in UFA with the cap they would free up.

that’s fair, i would consider that as well. not sure i’d do it but you’re not far off

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The far more reasonable "marketing trade", would be if the Devils acquired Quinn Hughes.

That would be expensive, but not absurdly, prohibitively expensive, like the reverse trade.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The far more reasonable "marketing trade", would be if the Devils acquired Quinn Hughes.

That would be expensive, but not absurdly, prohibitively expensive, like the reverse trade.

It would surely cost us Ty Smith.

How about Jack stays with the Devils and Quinn stays with the Canucks, and two times a season they will play against each other, and then possibly in the Stanley Cup Finals. Sound good?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
As someone said before, we can try to do a reverse-nieds situation in a few years :) Maybe with all the connections Hughes has with the devils, he can convince quinn to come here.

Reactions: Khione

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Not according to Van fans. Quinn is a combination of Gretzky and Orr apparently.

No, he is way better. Vancouver fans, from everything I've read in this forum, know only black and white. Their prospects are either the best ever, or they are a total waste of oxygen. There is nothing in between. Quinn and Petterson belong to the first group of course. So if you want to have either one, you need to at least give up all your picks for the next 5 years plus your four best players. And even then Vancouver will probably turn you down.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
No, he is way better. Vancouver fans, from everything I've read in this forum, know only black and white. Their prospects are either the best ever, or they are a total waste of oxygen. There is nothing in between. Quinn and Petterson belong to the first group of course. So if you want to have either one, you need to at least give up all your picks for the next 5 years plus your four best players. And even then Vancouver will probably turn you down.
Talk about a fanbase along with Toronto who overrates the living shit out of their prospects

All teams fans overhype kids but any kid in Vancouver who does well is the next God. Pettersson was the greatest shooter ever for a few months, Boeser was the next 50-goal scorer after Ovechkin, Juolevi was a top pair guy (lmfao), and now Quinn is a #1 already.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Eh, Canucks fans like Quinn and don't want to trade him, so of course they won't agree to "fair value". Everyone is that way with their top prospects. We're that way with guys like Nico and Bratt.

And it's not just the fans either. Petterson for Hughes would probably be rejected by both GMs. That's why these kinds of trades never happen.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Talk about a fanbase along with Toronto who overrates the living **** out of their prospects

All teams fans overhype kids but any kid in Vancouver who does well is the next God. Pettersson was the greatest shooter ever for a few months, Boeser was the next 50-goal scorer after Ovechkin, Juolevi was a top pair guy (lmfao), and now Quinn is a #1 already.

Forget about how they view their prospects, they thought and probably still think Chris Tanev is Nick Lidstrom. Something very strange in the water in British Columbia.

Reactions: Oneiro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad