Prospect Info: Jack Hughes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves Is there any resemblance between Hughes' and Marner's game? Other than size and both are forwards?

These sorts of comparisons are quite difficult, especially with the elite players, who tend to be unique. I suppose we can say that both Hughes and Marner are incredibly smart, with outstanding vision/puck-handling skills. Hughes' skating may be incomparable in many ways -- while he lacks the straightaway speed of the most elite skaters like McDavid, he might have the best edge work and agility I've ever seen. I'm a huge fan of Marner, as well. I suppose we can say that Hughes and Marner share some similarities without being similar players. It's a bit of a lame answer, I know, but I'm trying not to be lazy.

Reactions: Verdoux

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
These sorts of comparisons are quite difficult, especially with the elite players, who tend to be unique. I suppose we can say that both Hughes and Marner are incredibly smart, with outstanding vision/puck-handling skills. Hughes' skating may be incomparable in many ways -- while he lacks the straightaway speed of the most elite skaters like McDavid, he might have the best edge work and agility I've ever seen. I'm a huge fan of Marner, as well. I suppose we can say that Hughes and Marner share some similarities without being similar players. It's a bit of a lame answer, I know, but I'm trying not to be lazy.

wide-turns-caution-sign-s-4471.png

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
"The conversation for the number one overall pick has included both Kakko and Hughes since the World Juniors," said Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr. "Kaapo Kakko had a strong performance on the world stage and has continued his impressive power forward play in the Finland Liiga, setting a new goal scoring record for draft eligible prospects. Jack Hughes set all kinds of scoring records with the U.S. NTDP Under-18 this season. He is an exceptional talent with wizardry scoring and playmaking ability which highlight his quick wit and speed."

I'd post this in the Kakko thread, but we aren't allowed to have one. When does this board post its scouting report since it obviously knows so much more than the Director of Central Scouting?

NHL releases final rankings for 2019 draft

The director of Central Scouting does not even rank N. American players vs. European players, so they can pretty much say anything they want. They also do not have the first overall draft pick, the New Jersey Devils do. And Ray Shero -- the person who makes this decision -- has virtually said on camera more than once that the Devils are taking Hughes.

This is not about my opinion or your opinion. This is about needlessly fanning the flames of controversy, usually a process where fans of one player wind up baselessly insulting the other (as is happening on the HF main boards). Any intelligent dialogue about the Devils #1 pick is best off avoiding this pratfall.

Until Ray Shero says something about the Devils pick being up in the air or any major draft writer/scouting bureau ranking Kakko over Hughes, we must assume that this is not a controversy. The general question is not "who is better, Hughes or Kakko" but rather "how large is the gap between Hughes and Kakko". While some draft writers believe Hughes only has a slight edge, I believe the gap between Hughes and Kakko is the similar to the gap between Kakko and my #3 prospect, Bowen Byram.

Not long ago, we had a very comparable situation with Auston Matthews and Patrick Laine. Matthews, an American center, was the overwhelming top pick (like Hughes) and Laine, a Finnish winger, was the overwhelming #2 (like Kakko). Many Maple Leafs haters and European hockey fans spoke up on message boards and draft-article comments sections to insult Matthews in any way possible to justify Laine as the top overall pick. One major draft writer (Corey Pronman) went so far as to push Laine over Matthews in his final rankings, creating a ton of hysteria.

Ultimately, it's just talk. Both Hughes and Kakko are tremendous prospects. Hughes is seen by virtually everyone in the scouting and hockey writing communities as the superior one. Despite his many hits for the controversial ranking, Pronman certainly regrets it -- it's not good for his credibility. As of now, no one reputable has been willing to put their name on a ranking of Kakko over Hughes. And again, most crucially, Ray Shero's comments indicate Jack Hughes will be the pick.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
"The conversation for the number one overall pick has included both Kakko and Hughes since the World Juniors," said Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr. "Kaapo Kakko had a strong performance on the world stage and has continued his impressive power forward play in the Finland Liiga, setting a new goal scoring record for draft eligible prospects. Jack Hughes set all kinds of scoring records with the U.S. NTDP Under-18 this season. He is an exceptional talent with wizardry scoring and playmaking ability which highlight his quick wit and speed."

I'd post this in the Kakko thread, but we aren't allowed to have one. When does this board post its scouting report since it obviously knows so much more than the Director of Central Scouting?

NHL releases final rankings for 2019 draft
but like you said, how can we trust one guy?

you can't criticize us for "trusting" a variety of scouts, who may or may not feed off each others' hype, and then turn back around and be like "see, i trust this director of scouting guy"

you're right, we won't know who's 100% till draft day. and yes, there is a lot of hockey still left. but most signs indicate that hughes will be first. just let it go, this isn't anything worth getting mad over. and if we actually do pick hughes, then there shouldn't be anything said, nor should you be mad about it. it's gonna be a good day for the team overall

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Don't have the Athletic, but some Cancuks writer has said the Canucks have checked in with Shero and the Devils to see the cost of moving up to #1.

What the Canucks would have to do to trade up for Jack...

I remember this nonsense with Nico and the #1 and it IS that time of the season, but there's no way in hell Shero trades this pick or he'd be crucified if it weren't for Pettersson...........right?

Last edited:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Don't have the Athletic, but some Cancuks writer has said the Canucks have checked in with Shero and the Devils to see the cost of moving up to #1.

I remember this nonsense with Nico and the #1 and it IS that time of the season, but there's no way in hell Shero trades this pick or he'd be crucified if it weren't for Petterson...........right?
hed be crucified if it was for pettersson

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

I remember this nonsense with Nico and the #1 and it IS that time of the season, but there's no way in hell Shero trades this pick or he'd be crucified if it weren't for Pettersson...........right?

If it were to happen, they’d have to pay a ton to NYR for #2 and then send #2 and a ton to us. I can’t see them moving Pettersson, they’d have to gut everything and give us future picks they’ll need.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
I’ll fan the flames since I subscribe to the Athletic, and because it’s more interesting than most of the usual fodder being discussed. In summation, it looks like two league “sources” were asked what it would take. One said a Lindros-type return. Another said to get to #2 (Rangers pick in case the Devils were enamored with Kakko) would cost “3 or 4 firsts” and multiple seconds. If you’re going to give me 4 firsts, especially from Vancouver, I consider it.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

The article is hilarious. The author is saying NHL people think it would take a "Lindros-like return". His example is if we pick Kaako and they trade with the rags:
“Three or four firsts. Four seconds and Vancouver takes back Marc Staal and Brendan Smith (who have a combined cap hit of roughly $10 million for the next two seasons)."

The hilarious part is that he asked Nucks fans what they'd propose. Their replies were stuff like their 10OA, Gaudette, Virtanen, and Markstrom for our 1OA, Schneider, and Zajac.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I’ll fan the flames since I subscribe to the Athletic, and because it’s more interesting than most of the usual fodder being discussed. In summation, it looks like two league “sources” were asked what it would take. One said a Lindros-type return. Another said to get to #2 (Rangers pick in case the Devils were enamored with Kakko) would cost “3 or 4 firsts” and multiple seconds. If you’re going to give me 4 firsts, especially from Vancouver, I consider it.

Thanks!

Reactions: Merrills Marauders

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
The article is hilarious. The author is saying NHL people think it would take a "Lindros-like return". His example is if we pick Kaako and they trade with the rags:
“Three or four firsts. Four seconds and Vancouver takes back Marc Staal and Brendan Smith (who have a combined cap hit of roughly $10 million for the next two seasons)."

The hilarious part is that he asked Nucks fans what they'd propose. Their replies were stuff like their 10OA, Gaudette, Virtanen, and Markstrom for our 1OA, Schneider, and Zajac.
That might have been my favorite part - the disparity between what actual league sources claim it would take vs. what Canucks fans think.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia

Ridiculous. Makes me feel better, so the author is just spitballing.

Here's a trade I saw that responded to this article like yours:

To NJ :
Canucks 2019 10th overall pick
Canucks 2019 2nd Round Pick
Canucks 2020 or 2021 1st Round Pick
Brock Boeser or Bo Horvat

To Canucks

Devils 2019 1st overall pick

We need high end talent like Hughes and I'll leave it at that lol

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
You're willfully ignoring that SHERO HIMSELF basically all but said his pick is Hughes, on multiple occasions - including the first minute and half below. Until that changes, I'm taking the man at face value here.

Or the last minute of this interview...his tone is clearly different than it was in 2017 when he was more coy

Just listened to the first video....Ray is almost drooling at drafting Hughes. He knows everything about him already it sounds

Reactions: OmNomNom

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
That might have been my favorite part - the disparity between what actual league sources claim it would take vs. what Canucks fans think.
Heh... 10thOA, Bo, Jake, a top 10 protected 1st, and Woo for our OA and Zacha.
Or: 10thOA, 2nd, 2020 protected 1st, Demko, Gaudette.

Interestingly, a lot of their proposals have Schneider going back. Gaudette also seems like someone a lot of them want to get rid of.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Enticing proposals in this scenario just reinforce my desire to select Hughes and run

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Canucks fans: Jake Virtanen is a complete bust and we passed on Ehlers, Larkin, Pastrnak and Nylander to select that bum.

Also Canucks fans: Jake Virtanen is a completely meaningful and major piece in a trade for Jack Hughes.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
If they desperately wanted the pick without giving up Pettersson i'd consider Horvat + Boeser + 10th OA for 1st OA + 34th OA.

I could almost see it making sense for Vancouver if they thought they could get someone like Panarin in UFA with the cap they would free up.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
If they desperately wanted the pick without giving up Pettersson i'd consider Horvat + Boeser + 10th OA for 1st OA + 34th OA.

I could almost see it making sense for Vancouver if they thought they could get someone like Panarin in UFA with the cap they would free up.

I would never pass on a talent like Hughes for that as a Devils fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad