Prospect Info: Jack Hughes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
If Zacha plays wing, which I think he should have been doing since day 1 I think he will thrive.

He is too concerened with passing off. He has to use his shot more...it's better than it's shown dating back to Sarnia

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Need someone who understands that there is a defensive zone I suppose?
Ya, my feeling is that Zacha would be a psuedo center playing on Hughes wing. Handle faceoffs, handle the defensive assignments around our own net, do his responsible thing, allowing Hughes to be more free wheeling.

And Zacha can certainly play a skill game as well, so he wouldn't be a drag in that regard.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If Zacha plays wing, which I think he should have been doing since day 1 I think he will thrive.

He is too concerened with passing off. He has to use his shot more...it's better than it's shown dating back to Sarnia
Zacha plays such a centers game.

I understand the thinking that playing wing will force him to shoot more, but I think his game, most notably his defensive play, is just so much more suited to center. He does need to be more assertive offensively, but I'm not sure just moving him to wing will do that, he needs to make that decision to be more assertive regardless of position.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Still think we need to go out and get a top 6 winger this summer

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Skinner**-Hughes-Palmieri
Zacha-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Seney-Anderson

**or someone like that. Would also be down for Panarin (not happening), Dzingel, Eberle, Ferland, Lee or Nyquist

Yeah, a legit top 6 F would do wonders for this team and give the Devils a ton of forward depth. Have to figure that Boqvist also challenges for a forward spot this season, but could start the year in Bingo (unless there's something with his contract where it is NJ or back to Sweden). Those are all solid UFA targets for Shero.

I believe Boqvist was playing LW in Sweden, but drafted as a center and could still move back - is that the case?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Zacha plays such a centers game.

I understand the thinking that playing wing will force him to shoot more, but I think his game, most notably his defensive play, is just so much more suited to center. He does need to be more assertive offensively, but I'm not sure just moving him to wing will do that, he needs to make that decision to be more assertive regardless of position.

Zacha is certainly better suited to play center. Wonder if Hynes would consider going with Nico - Hughes - Zajac - Zacha down the middle since Zajac and Zacha could earn more time on special teams to make up for the lack of the 5 on 5 time. Zajac was one of 4 forwards in the NHL to average more than 2 minutes each on the PP and PK last season. Zacha finished last season with an ATOI of 2:10 on the PK and 1:41 on the PP, the latter of which was 8th on the team (including Boyle and Johannson). If Zacha can continue to play the way he did down the stretch he should earn more PP time.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
You're assuming McLeod cant make the team next season?

i am, as disappointing as that is to say. i don’t know where he fits. but, i think calling him up when we inevitably have injuries is better than calling up anyone off of Uncle Lou’s Failure Farm (speers, pietila etc)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah I'm not falling for the "Well Zacha has X points in Y games" trap again.

Fool me once, fool me twice...
What does this mean? Zacha has never had as productive of a stretch as he has had in his last 20/30 games of this season....You make it sound like there is a trend of him producing well then disappearing? Are you referring to something I am missing?

Reactions: HBK27 and MichaelJ

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Still think we need to go out and get a top 6 winger this summer

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Skinner**-Hughes-Palmieri
Zacha-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Seney-Anderson

**or someone like that. Would also be down for Panarin (not happening), Dzingel, Eberle, Ferland, Lee or Nyquist

This is where I am too, top 6 difference maker or don't bother. If we realistically have no shot at Panarin, I'd like if Ray made a strong play for Skinner.

Next year should provide a better pool of potential defenseman to target instead of making a move this year for what might be only net a marginal difference on D. I get that our top pairing is a position of dire need but this year provides more opportunities for a top 6 winger than a defenseman. I also don't see EK as a realistic target any more than Panarin.

If we have our #1 prospect on the team next year, we move the needle more by giving JH every chance to succeed at the next level instead of adding a marginal improvement on D where I'm not sure our coaching has the requisite acumen to optimize the full benefit of seasoned upgrades. Development they can do, defensive structure and positioning...not so much. Let's have Ty Smith fold into the mix and see how the up and comers look in camp/preseason.

There are still potential trades to be made for help on either side of the ice and I'm sure Shero has ear to the ground on who might be on the move out there beyond the more obvious targets. This is an offseason to try for something big, but not necessarily try to upgrade everything all at once. Hitting the lottery this year was already an unexpected stroke of luck as it is. Shero lucked out big time, some of his work already done.

I'm sure Hall would appreciate more help on offense too, so if we're looking to induce him to sign a fair deal, he simply must view Hughes + a top 6 upgrade as a big leap forward. Average goaltending would be a boon as well considering how profoundly poor it was most of last year. It's easy to blame the D for our woes in net, but make no mistake, we saw some f***ing horrendous goaltending last year.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Zacha is certainly better suited to play center. Wonder if Hynes would consider going with Nico - Hughes - Zajac - Zacha down the middle since Zajac and Zacha could earn more time on special teams to make up for the lack of the 5 on 5 time. Zajac was one of 4 forwards in the NHL to average more than 2 minutes each on the PP and PK last season. Zacha finished last season with an ATOI of 2:10 on the PK and 1:41 on the PP, the latter of which was 8th on the team (including Boyle and Johannson). If Zacha can continue to play the way he did down the stretch he should earn more PP time.
That’s top 5 center depth right there.

Hall-Nico-Bratt
Skinner-Hughes-Palms
Boqvist-Zacha-Wood
Coleman-Zajac-Anderson/Bastian

Do it Rajean!

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
What does this mean? Zacha has never had as productive of a stretch as he has had in his last 20/30 games of this season....You make it sound like there is a trend of him producing well then disappearing? Are you referring to something I am missing?

It's basically just a tale of Zacha's (admittedly short) career so far. Put together a nice streak of games, then slump hard, another nice streak, rinse, repeat. We've gone into the past two seasons expecting him to be a top-6 forward and have been disappointed both times. I like him and hope he can be, but I am absolutely not banking on him being a top-6 forward next year. I'll rethink that once he breaks 30 points in a season. He is, to me anyway, decidedly not a top-6 option.

Reactions: Nubmer6

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Hall-Nico-Bratt
Skinner-Hughes-Palms
Boqvist-Zacha-Wood

Do it Rajean!

I like that and really 3rd/4th lines would be interchangeable. Zajac's line would likely go up against other teams' top lines.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Zacha is coming into form nicely. 20 pts in his last 30 gms is not a black hole. A Zacha Hughes Palmieri line would do wonders.

Zacha was also producing at an unsustainable rate over the last 30 games (his percentages were pretty absurdly high). Maybe he will product at slightly higher percentages than what he did through his first 170ish games of his career, but I wouldn't expect his production over the last 30 games to continue. I'm confident that he will be a reliable enough bottom 6 player next year, but I absolutely would not pencil him into the top 6.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Most NHL players have a similar development curve to Zacha. Asking for a Nico-type constant upward trend is being unrealistic.

All the anxiety about him is related to his draft spot which should now be irrelevant.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Hall-Nico-Bratt
Skinner-Hughes-Palms
Boqvist-Zacha-Wood

Do it Rajean!

I would seriously be disappointed if Hughes didn’t have 40 assists his rookie year with those as his wings.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I liked the way Zacha looked at the end of the season, but I am not for Shero sitting on his hands and skipping on acquiring a talented player because Zacha might play that way for the entire season. We have been doing that for like the last two seasons, just expecting him to continue to get better and consistent, which he has yet to do. I'll take a talented guy over him and hope Zacha pushes for that spot.

Miles Wood 5 on 5 PTS/60: 1.2, 2.0, 1.6
Kyle Palmieri PTS/60 as a Devil: 1.6, 1.7, 1.3, 1.7

Now factor in line mates. Calling him an offensive black hole is very unfair and fake news!

He isn't a black hole offensively, but he doesn't have nearly the skills Palms has. Also factor in that Wood is dumb as rocks on the ice. Dude has no hockey sense.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad