Prospect Info: Jack Hughes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I like the Wood idea...The speed of those two combined and the Hughes play making ability, I think just might create some synergy. Plus I do like the idea of some muscle with Hughes to begin his career. No question Wood isn't much of a dynamic player...But he wouldn't have to be with an ace play maker...It would be a speed line that I think teams would have difficulty containing.

I would’ve been all for this if not for Woods step back season last year. He flashed moments that reminded us of the previous year just not enough.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m pretty confident we will see pairs of

Hall - Hischier
Hughes - Palms
Zajac - Coleman

It’s just a matter of who the other wings are now.

In that configuration you have PZ Wood and Bratt all available as wings. Bratt would seem to fit with Hall and Nico. Hughes as I’ve noted seems like a trickier proposition until the tram sees how his game plays out with other NHL players. Zajac and Coleman would work as we know. The team could definitely use a top six winger but I’d rather not break the bank for a good bit not great one in free agency.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would’ve been all for this if not for Woods step back season last year. He flashed moments that reminded us of the previous year just not enough.
I am not sure I would call his season a "step back" ...at least not in the context of this team, this year.
It was a tough year for just about everyone on the team and Wood was out this year with multiple injures...Not making excuses...

I just truly believe when you have a crap season, and you're looking forward to the draft lottery by January as opposed to the next win, it is very difficult to gauge a players progression/status. Some seasons you just have to wipe from memory and a good indicator of one of those seasons is picking 1st overall. Just my opinion.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don’t hate the idea of Hughes with Wood actually. Would want him with someone who can also carry the puck like Bratt too. Wood could probably pot 25 next to him.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don’t hate the idea of Hughes with Wood actually. Would want him with someone who can also carry the puck like Bratt too. Wood could probably pot 25 next to him.
I actually keep tossing around the idea of Bastian on Hughes' wing. Bastian has had great success with a fast playmaking center in McLeod in the minors. Hughes is that x 100.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Wood isn't exactly a possession machine. In fact, he seems to like to hand the opponent the puck a lot.

Hughes would have to do most of the possessing. Like Pazzuzzu. Wood would have to go get the puck for Hughes. The success or failure of that pair would probably depend upon who the third one would be.

Reactions: mtnet

My3Sons

Sponsor
I actually keep tossing around the idea of Bastian on Hughes' wing. Bastian has had great success with a fast playmaking center in McLeod in the minors. Hughes is that x 100.

Long term that makes a lot of sense but BASTIAN probably needs more time to percolate in the AHL and work on various aspects of his game. I could see them find chemistry once BASTIAN is ready for a full time gig in NJ.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Hughes would have to do most of the possessing. Like Pazzuzzu. Wood would have to go get the puck for Hughes. The success or failure of that pair would probably depend upon who the third one would be.
I HAVE always wondered what Wood could do if he had linemates that could actually keep up with him though. He tends to break into the offensive zone then paint himself into a corner cause all his teammates are a few time zones behind him. It's like they don't even bother trying to catch up because they know they can't, so they just skate off for a line change.

Reactions: My3Sons

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014

:laugh: @ Pazuzu reference

Legendary Corsi, exceeded only by his propensity for embellishment

The power of ice compels Hughes

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

I thought Wood was pretty good outside of the start of his season, where he was nonexistent. It was really just his first month or two where he was playing a completely different style game than he had in the past and his performance and numbers glaringly struggled.

He had always been a north-south player and was effective as such because of his size, strength, and speed. After holding out for a better contract and speaking throughout the off-season of taking bigger steps in his game to show that he has more offensive capabilities than he has shown, he came in and was playing an east-west, all over the place style of play that visibly and statistically was holding him back. He was trying to do too much and opposing teams were able to read him and contain him far more easily.

Once he started getting back to that north-south style that was already working for him in prior seasons where teams knew what he was going to do but had a hard time containing him because his size and speed were too much at times, he had 19 points in his last 41 games of the season and got his PPG average up in line closer to the season prior. I also thought his puck control was far better than we had ever seen from him and he had a lot more comfort and ease in holding the puck for a bit longer to see what his options were compared to getting rid of the puck at times quicker than he could skate and fumbling it around too much.

Looking at his numbers, he had 5 points his first 22 and those previously mentioned 19 in the last 41. I think given his play visibly and statistically for those last bunch of games and coming into next season with no contract or play style distractions, he'll be able to have a more consistent season and continue to grow.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Wood next to Hughes would be a disaster IMO
Disaster is a bit strong imo, but I don't like the mix, sure Wood and Hughes can play at high speed, but I feel Hughes will be best suited with someone with more puck skills.

Now I did think Wood displayed better puck skills this past season then he did the year prior, and I'm hoping he takes another step fwd in that regard this year. But him on the 2nd line with Hughes seems like a real stretch.

Zacha Hughes Bratt is how I see it.

Reactions: TheUnseenHand

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Wood killed so much offensive zone time and plays because of his lack of IQ and stick ability. I totally understand the fact that everyone is drooling at the idea of Woods speed with Hughes speed but thats about all. Wood doesnt have the toolbox to be effective enough on Hughes line. To me there is about 4 others that should be given a shot LONG before Wood is. In cause you are wondering, Zacha, Coleman, Boqvist, hell i might even give Seney and JQ a chance before Wood. Im not saying those 2 guys are better then Wood just based on the style i think they might play better with Hughes then Wood can.

Reactions: Devils731

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Disaster is a bit strong imo, but I don't like the mix, sure Wood and Hughes can play at high speed, but I feel Hughes will be best suited with someone with more puck skills.

Now I did think Wood displayed better puck skills this past season then he did the year prior, and I'm hoping he takes another step fwd in that regard this year. But him on the 2nd line with Hughes seems like a real stretch.

Zacha Hughes Bratt is how I see it.
Need someone who understands that there is a defensive zone I suppose?

Reactions: OmNomNom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->