Confirmed with Link: Jack Hillen and ARZ 4th 2015 for Tim Gleason

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I fail to see how anyone doesn't like this deal. Hillen was awful. He was overpowered defensively, provided nothing offensively, and didn't play special teams. For a 4th round pick we've added a veteran guy with size, strength, and a mean streak. And he PKs. We have 3 complete defensive pairings and injury insurance. A very savvy move by GMBM, in my opinion.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
... but we acquired a D-man that replaces Schmid't spot.

If Schmidt is a key trade piece to someoen for a legit top 6 guy, I'm 100% okay with it. I'd do Ward, Schmidt, and a pick for Sharp even. Wouldn't even think twice about it.
His spot is occupied for the rest of this season, anyway. I'm high on Schmidt and would be sad to see him go but if we can get a forward of Sharp's caliber (though he has struggled this year) I think that's a move worth risking as a GM.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
That's fine. And Schmidt as 7. Orlov can officially join Erskine on the list of Dman that won't play this year. Schilling can go back down.

Get a Forward in here...

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
... but we acquired a D-man that replaces Schmid't spot.

If Schmidt is a key trade piece to someoen for a legit top 6 guy, I'm 100% okay with it. I'd do Ward, Schmidt, and a pick for Sharp even. Wouldn't even think twice about it.

That bottom pairing D of Green/Gleason are both pending UFAs. Orlov's situation is still a mystery as to when he might comeback, which to me is quite doubtful for this season but even what about next year. Schmidt's a PMD, quick and relatively cheap, all reasons to keep him.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
This is reasonable. I'm sure Gleason is going to look much better on the Caps than on the Canes. Although, it's really about what Green looks like paired with a physical stay-at-home.

How about a 1RW or a 2C?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
That bottom pairing D of Green/Gleason are both pending UFAs. Orlov's situation is still a mystery as to when he might comeback, which to me is quite doubtful for this season but even what about next year. Schmidt's a PMD, quick and relatively cheap, all reasons to keep him.

I agree with what you're saying - but if Schmidt can get us a top 6 guy, I"m all in for that.

I know a lot of people are high on Schmidt, but I'm not as high on him. I like Carrick, Orlov, and Bowey all better. I think Schmidt is completely replaceable - especially if it gives us a more needed forward back.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

At this point, I'm reasonably certain that Orlov is spending the rest of the season on LTIR. They're going to use his LTIR money.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The Volpatti move soured you on this?? He's played two games all year.

He was a depth player thats nice to have. So instead of just giving up a 4th we gave up forward depth that we now don't have to get a marginal upgrade at 6D. Read my previous post, not saying it was a bad deal, just not as great as I thought.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
If they can make the S____ trade go through and one more quality role player....then a cup run may be possible.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
He was a depth player thats nice to have. So instead of just giving up a 4th we gave up forward depth that we now don't have to get a marginal upgrade at 6D. Read my previous post, not saying it was a bad deal, just not as great as I thought.
Literally anyone who can wear skates and move their legs in hershey is better than Volpatti. Liam O'brian, Chris Brown, Latta, whoever.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Forward depth doesn't stop at the NHL roster. Volpatti was no more (maybe less) impressive than guys that should be rotating in to get cracks in the next year or so, wouldn't be pining for him when Garrett Mitchell could probably do his job, and Chris f'ing Brown was less of a waste of a jersey.

Edit: oh yeah, forgot about Angry Fleischmann, LOB can do anything you'd expect out of Volpatti as well.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Literally anyone who can wear skates and move their legs in hershey is better than Volpatti. Liam O'brian, Chris Brown, Latta, whoever.

Latta I would agree with, the other two don't need to be wearing a caps jersey, especially in the playoffs. Again, not a bad deal, I guess I'm not as high on Gleason as some.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Latta I would agree with, the other two don't need to be wearing a caps jersey, especially in the playoffs. Again, not a bad deal, I guess I'm not as high on Gleason as some.

Neither should Volpatti.

I don't know that I'm high on Gleason, but for the playoffs he's less of a stretch than Hillen to cope, and that's really all that matters. The losses, if you could call them that, are very acceptable, and essentially doubling down on Orpiks isn't the worst idea.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
We didn't give up forward depth.

Volpatti likely won't be claimed and wasn't real depth anyway.

OVs Gold Chain*

Like it. Hillen realistically brings absolutely nothing to the table at the NHL level, Gleason brings slightly more than nothing and is a bigger body.

Now we wait for the bigger news to break. Clearly GMBM and the organization want to push for a legitimate playoff run, and I agree with that line of thinking, the Caps have no choice but to try and max out their roster while 8/19 are in their primes. Hope it's Sharp but it really could be any number of guys depending on what the Caps are willing to give up.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Did Volpatti even record a point in a Caps sweater?

Two goals and one assist in 60 games. As stated, there are better options in Hershey.

(we'll always have this though)

volpatti-downie-punch-o.gif

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Since the mention or Mr.S from Chicago (can't say the name) I've forgotten about Glencross - disappeared from my mind like a **** in the wind.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Look at it...

Orpik - Carlson
Alzner - Niskanen
Gleason - Green

All things considered....yeah, you're going to lose Green after these playoffs....but thats the best D these eyes have seen heading into the playoffs in a long time.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Look at it...

Orpik - Carlson
Alzner - Niskanen
Gleason - Green

All things considered....yeah, you're going to lose Green after these playoffs....but thats the best D these eyes have seen heading into the playoffs in a long time.

Schmidt is a good 7, too, and there are plenty of in-house options for the 3rd pair next year. They have addressed the D/G situations since GMBM/BT got here. Time to help the Forwards out. We desperately need another scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad