Speculation: Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Dennis Bernstein was on the NHL network this afternoon and said the same thing. Kravstov and Jones. What’s odd to me is the Sabres don’t need a LHD with Dahlin and Power. But too many insiders have been linking the two teams for a year now.
Jones plays both LD/RD. He played RD in his call up last season. But he is left handed.
Jones stock has risen a lot. Every time he gets an opportunity, he continues to impress. He was just as good as Lundkvist in camp preseason this year if not better, and is a year younger.
I’d figure the Sabres would want Nils Lundkvist instead of Jones. Dahlin-Lundkvist or Power-Lundkvist both have potential to be a scary combo

Last edited:

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
My Counter offer would be:

2 of: Pinto / Formenton / Greig
Thompson
Jarventie
Conditional* 2023 1st (top 5 protected)
*If Eichel doesn't play at least 60 RS games before June 2023, Ottawa keeps the pick

If that's not enough then I'd walk away. I'm personally high on Formenton, Greig, and Pinto, but low on Thompson and Jarventie if I'm being honest. The pick would be that of a playoff team IMO.
if I'm Buffao, i write down 3 or 4 names on a paper, and tell you to pick two, or go away.
and the names are:
Tkachuk
Stutzle
Sanderson/Pinto

Eichel is an elite franchise player, and 'if/when healthy' arguably a top 5 player in the world ...worse case he's #6, its not his fault Buffalo has just sucked.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
if I'm Buffao, i write down 3 or 4 names on a paper, and tell you to pick two, or go away.
and the names are:
Tkachuk
Stutzle
Sanderson/Pinto

Eichel is an elite franchise player, and 'if/when healthy' arguably a top 5 player in the world ...worse case he's #6, its not his fault Buffalo has just sucked.
Thats nice but nobody is giving up two of those types of young players in the league for Eichel right now,otherwise he would have been traded months ago

Reactions: bernmeister

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
This feels like it's going to get really nasty if he doesn't get traded soon, 4 months from the date of the surgery and no surgery unless the team he gets traded to ok's the procedure? It must be a really bitter pill to swallow if he has to wait for next year to play.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
With Tkachuk playing for Buffalo and Eichel missing most of the year for Ottawa there is a real chance Buffalo finishes higher in the standings. lol:laugh:

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Thats nice but nobody is giving up two of those types of young players in the league for Eichel right now,otherwise he would have been traded months ago
Except that Buffalo has been asking fir those 2 plus 2 more 1st round equivalents. Dropping the price to 2 would be a significant decrease in asking price

Reactions: malcb33

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Except that Buffalo has been asking fir those 2 plus 2 more 1st round equivalents. Dropping the price to 2 would be a significant decrease in asking price
Look I get it you guys dont want to lose him for nothing,but you have to be realistic here and realise you werent ever going to win this trade...He will never get two top 5 picks from any team sorry

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
This feels like it's going to get really nasty if he doesn't get traded soon, 4 months from the date of the surgery and no surgery unless the team he gets traded to ok's the procedure? It must be a really bitter pill to swallow if he has to wait for next year to play.
Missing that long of a time period is definitely NOT good(at least a full calendar year from when he first went down). He'll have some serious rust to shake off. That's another risk to pile on top of everything else

Reactions: egelband

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Eichel will eventually get the surgery and come back and continue to be a top 5 player in the game (especially if he is traded to a competent organization).

I really like Tkachuk but in my opinion he does not get Eichel one for one.

Welp there goes Ottawa

Reactions: Dhakhan

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Not an Eichel fan. I think he is extremely talented but overrated and not of the best character. I would never give up the assets that Buffalo will want to make a deal. Add the health questions and I would be even more reluctant.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The NHL Salary Cap has been reported / rumored to be making a significant jump in three years time. That's why so many RFA's are signing short term and GM's are positioning for this increase.
That’s still needing to have the pro-rated cap space this year, followed by 2 more years of being able to swallow his 10M hit without the pro-rating, and needing to magically create the cap space for your own players getting raises. Nobody positioned 3 years ago to be able to do that for Eichel, so it’s irrelevant unless the Sabres intend to hold onto him another 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Static

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Tkachuk has to be one of the most overrated player at this point.... Eichel is a much better player

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If you quickly browse the Sabres boards on this forum and read the recent attitudes about what Eichel will most likely bring back at this point, the sentiments are actually reasonable and realistic. They're different than what gets proposed in this thread.

I think discussion in this section of the forum (trade rumor and free agent talk) tends to escalate.

Most people who post on the Sabres board don’t venture on the main board. Based on your username, and I could be wrong on that, applies to the Rangers board.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Yep, great, Adams please move on
But if you think the mentioned names are trash, you just enjoy stirring the pot (folks at HFB just love labeling guys trash or bust)

And if you think they'd trade Laf, Kakko, Fox or Schneider, for that combination of injury/recovery and Cap Hit, you're just posting hot takes.

Ain't no precedent, aside from Lindros/Quebec deal, for the NBA-type packages that posters often propose re Eichel.
And that Lindros deal was not complicated by spinal condition or flat Salary Cap.
No realistic comparable at all.

They're not getting equivalent of 4 1sts.
Without injury and Cap Hit, fair high return is something like (1) a very very good under-25 player, (2) a high upside prospect, (3) a 1st, and another valuable piece.
Given those Cap/injury considerations, they may not get all that for just Eichel, unless retention.
That's just realistic and in line w prior NHL situations.

The Sabres have two concerns when it comes to an Eichel return. Potential #1C, potential #2D (hate this phrasing but I understand it), that shoots right, and that’s it.

Now I understand not wanting to give up a top prospect, but that prospect being Eichel is what one hopes they turn in to. I get that a team doesn’t wanna trade $1 bill for $1 bill. But they should be willing to do 75c for 75c, at worst. At best, pay 75c for $1.

But we dunno what teams are interested or what offers are out there, so we dunno what xx there is to make a buck. There’s obviously a middle ground between the Sabres ask and what they get. We just dunno what that middle ground is, or how simple or complex it is.

Ledge And Dairy

Why the hell would Buffalo want monahan, he has 2 yrs left, and he’s likely not resigning in Buffalo cause what ufa does.
He's not going to waive there so it doesnt matter. Any trade involving Eichel to Calgary will have to be a 3 team trade since none of their players are waiving there.

So maybe instead you should be asking "what can Buffalo get for Monahan if they retain?"

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
No one knows what the Rangers offers actually were

Yet you have Sabre fans clamoring for packages like Zary and Monahan from Calgary like that’s so much better lolol

It's called getting a legit forward prospect back. I take Zary any day over Kravtsov/Chytil/whoever.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
The media on this is SO STUPID.

This trade is obviously waiting for the season to start so whoever is trading for him can put him can be cap compliant on opening day then put him on the LTIR all season.

There's a mechanism called offseason LTIR which Eichel would be eligible for. The Sabres haven't used it because they need his cap hit counted to reach the floor

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
There's a mechanism called offseason LTIR which Eichel would be eligible for. The Sabres haven't used it because they need his cap hit counted to reach the floor
While there is off-season LTIR but your understanding of it is a bit inaccurate. The cap hit ALWAYS counts against the cap. LTIR allows you to exceed the cap ceiling. So buffalo hasn't used it because they don't need to exceed the cap not because they need to hit the floor.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
While there is off-season LTIR but your understanding of it is a bit inaccurate. The cap hit ALWAYS counts against the cap. LTIR allows you to exceed the cap ceiling. So buffalo hasn't used it because they don't need to exceed the cap not because they need to hit the floor.

Yeah, I'm just so used to capfriendly armchairm GM that deducts the amount put on LTIR lol. The main point was that it wouldn't be a limiting factor for any team looking to acquire him before the season starts as they could utilize offseason LTIR if needed

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
and the names are:
Tkachuk
Stutzle
Sanderson/Pinto

I hang up.

And I don't have Eichel as a top 6 player.

Kucherov, McDavid, Matthews, Barkov, MacKinnon, Panarin, and Draisaitl are my top 7 forwards not in order. I don't see how anyone could have Eichel above any of them.

You could also easily have several of Crosby, Kane, Stone, Rantanen, Marner, Point, Aho, Pastrnak, or Marchand ahead of Eichel, pushing him outside the top 10 or even 15 quite easily.

I personally rank him as the 7th best center, 15th best forward, and 18th best player in the NHL.

He was recently ranked as the 8th best center by Hf
Center Rankings #30

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Funny, I was thinking the same thing about NYR. I'd rather trade for Zibanejad & sign him and let the Rangers get Eichel.
Exactly, acquiring eichel is just too damn risky. If im an nhl gm I’d let eichel rot in Buffalo, let Buffalo deal with him, he’s just not worth the damn trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad