Speculation: Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Well

If it doesn't happen then jack screwed himself too. Whole situation has been a shit show.
How has Eichel screwed himself? He knows what he wants and he is trying to get it. He Wants the surgery and he doesn’t want to waste any more of his career in buffalo. The Sabres already knew he wanted out. Sitting on their hands and slowly but surely making the situation worse is on them.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Eichel only has 3 choices. 1) Accept Buffalo's option for Neck Fusion and hope to get traded next summer, 2) Get the surgery he wants, and then one of two things happens: He's suspended without pay until he's healthy again or his contract is terminated and he becomes a Free Agent and can sign somewhere else, or 3) Sit out, not getting the surgery, and hope that Buffalo can get a trade done, while still getting paid.

Buffalo has only one outcome they desire in all this and that is to have Eichel traded at full value. And they are hoping that a team will take him, being injured.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Probably won't end anytime soon unfortunately. At least that is what it sounds like after seeing how it's unfolded recently. I just don't see how it can really get better for the Sabres from here on out with Jack Eichel. They probably had the best return for him already scrapped and taken off the table based off everything recent. They won't get the best return for the type of talent Eichel is and maybe that only gets worse as time goes on.

Only hope they have is that somehow can get the value they want in some trade but who's gonna pay that value when you are unsure if that is the kind of player you will receive. Might have to cut losses again which is unfortunate as they've done that too much recently and this would be the worst situation for it to happen in out of all of them because he would return far most of every guy they've traded in recent years.

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
How are the Sabres screwing themselves? Do we know there is even a team that has doctors who would agree to let Jack have the surgery he wants?
They should have traded him for the best offer a couple months ago, making the surgery question someone else’s problem. His value will only lower and his presence on the team will only be a distraction, IMO.

Reactions: 57special

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How are the Sabres screwing themselves? Do we know there is even a team that has doctors who would agree to let Jack have the surgery he wants?
It's a massive money issue.

The surgery that Eichel wants, if it does not go well, the team will be on the hook for it if they agree to let him have the procedure. I haven't seen anything that insurance would cover the contract if Eichel gets the surgery he wants. Most likely, insurance would only cover the standard procedures for his injury.

So, is Jack willing to risk the remainder of his contract if the surgery doesn't go as expected?

NotPetya

May 28, 2021
Diplomacy suggests that the Sabres would have discussed contingencies…..they’re not looking so great as things are.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I cannot understand an employer can deny a man the right to get surgery if his health is at risk.

But I'm not American.
It's not that simple. It's in the CBA, which is negotiated by both sides.

It isn't just "American company says American employee can't get surgery. It's "American company has every right to deny employee surgery, whether it's moral or not."

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I cannot understand an employer can deny a man the right to get surgery if his health is at risk.

But I'm not American.
I think it's all about the contract and who would be on the hook for it if the surgery doesn't go according to plan. Doesn't sound like insurance would cover this surgery, thus if Buffalo oks it, then it falls to them to cover it.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Buffalo both doesn't want to inherit the risk of the surgery nor pay the cost of having another team inherit that risk, the cost being not getting the full return they'd want for a healthy eichel.

Adams is playing this like everyone is a moron but him.

Now eichel either sits around for a year not getting healthy or Buffalo somehow moves a $10 million dollar injured player during the season. Both seem incredibly implausible, so credit to buffalo for finding two untenable situations.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
They should have traded him for the best offer a couple months ago, making the surgery question someone else’s problem. His value will only lower and his presence on the team will only be a distraction, IMO.

If you think the Sabres are going to allow any presence of Jack Eichel around their team, even when still collecting a check, you are naive.

Reactions: SundherDome

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Supposedly they were shopping him last summer.... or at least listening. They could've gotten a good Pick + in either the 20 or 21 draft and be a year or 2 closer to seeing a reward from the trade. As it stands now it's going to be hard to trade him until the offseason... and at that point BUF is looking at paying 3/4 of his salary ($7.5m bonus) for 2022 to play on another team.

I wouldn't say they've "screwed themselves" but I doubt whatever they end up getting will be as good as what they would've gotten in 2020... and that's not even taking into account the 2 extra years of delayed gratification.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Eichel only has 3 choices. 1) Accept Buffalo's option for Neck Fusion and hope to get traded next summer, 2) Get the surgery he wants, and then one of two things happens: He's suspended without pay until he's healthy again or his contract is terminated and he becomes a Free Agent and can sign somewhere else, or 3) Sit out, not getting the surgery, and hope that Buffalo can get a trade done, while still getting paid.

Buffalo has only one outcome they desire in all this and that is to have Eichel traded at full value. And they are hoping that a team will take him, being injured.

bold is not gonna happen

Likely ends with very little in guaranteed assets and a whole slew of conditional picks
conditional heavy picks is the only way to leverage the risk
IF Eich doesn't produce over time, compensation = low picks that did not morph

If Eich produces, then over time multiple picks morph into multiple 1sts

But sabes want their cake and eat it too

so let them stew

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There is a conflict within Sabes betw
a) capitulating and letting him get his choice of surgery
and
b) getting a trade partner to go there instead, but not providing any incentive to do so.

There are experts on both sides who say either choice of surgery has a track record of succeeding, generally [Eich's has not been done on a hockey player yet but has adequate record of success overall elsewhere].

In this construct, the player, who bears the highest risk of all, has the right to make the call.

When everybody gets on that page, then this will get resolved expeditiously,

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
You continue to double down on your bad take.
My take is that he’ll likely be a distraction.

You said the team won’t let him be around the players, physically.

I’m saying if not physical interaction, he can still call/text with team mates. Not to mention constant questions from the media can very much be a distraction, especially if the season isn’t going very well. I don’t see what’s naive about any of that.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
That’s just wrong his value can only improve.

#1 who has doctors that will let him do the surgery that has never been done on a hockey player before?

#2 Why is another team any smarter than the Sabres to have the same problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad