Rumor: Jack Eichel Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Can the KeyBank center hold more than "7-8k a freaking night" with everyone 6 feet apart?

Because with or without Eichel, that's our new reality.
Yup, it's going to be like that for the rest of eternity. So we have to trade any good player we have and have a roster of Niagara students and some local high school kids. JFC.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Am I mistaken or are there multiple people in this thread talking as if Eichel is only slightly more valuable than fox because of potential?

IMO Fox is already a 55+ point top pairing defenseman who is excellent defensively.

You should read the other one. Laf is already better than Eichel.

Eichel >>> Lafreniere

Reactions: MarkusKetterer

lawrence

May 19, 2012
would Eichel be interested in coming to Vancity? He would face his Alter Ego more then a few times a year :)

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Only a matter of time...
Probably, but with 6 years left on his contract, a clear franchise center, young age, your going to pay a very steep price.
With all of that said, the obvious reason Buffalo's new GM even considered moving Eichel instead of building around him isn't so much an act of desperation, but may, and I stress may, have identified Eichel as either a part of the larger problem here in Buffalo or the one piece that can be moved to build a product in GM Adams vision. Only time will tell which of these it is, or maybe a combination of both.

As for Eichel, can't blame the kid if he wants out honestly. The Pegula's have great intentions I am sure, but the learning curve as owners going toward 10 seasons now has been painful one here in Buffalo. Although, it looks as though they figured football out much quicker, so there is hope.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I think Lafferniere for Eichal straight up is a decent trade for both teams assuming Eichal wants out. Doubt Buffalo will get anything much better then a 1st overall pick. Maybe Rangers can throw in next years first as well. Obviously Eichal is more valuable but you are not gonna get full value for him if he wants out.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Yup, it's going to be like that for the rest of eternity. So we have to trade any good player we have and have a roster of Niagara students and some local high school kids. JFC.

Is that what I said? (No)

But saying that a deal won't happen because of ticket sales seems short sighted with the current pandemic climate.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Nothing lol about what I said I only think maybe 2-3 players are worth that type of package (mcdavid, mack, drai).

If this zibinajad is the real deal moving forward the rangers would be dumb to trade him. I dont know if hell be a 100+ pace player moving forward but zibinajad has already delivered for the rangers. Really risky trading him and hoping eichel can replicate that level of play

Zibanejad has 2 years left on his contract before he's a 28 year old UFA. Eichel has 6. Kakko has huge upside but he's still a question mark.

As a Sabre fan I don't do that deal (and I don't think Leaf fans should do the deal for Matthews either in reference to your last post). If Zib was locked up for longer then yeah probably.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
You should see the offers jets fans expect for Laine. To get eichel would be a massive haul. Kakko and or Laf would have to be involved with additional firsts and A level prospects

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You should see the offers jets fans expect for Laine. To get eichel would be a massive haul. Kakko and or Laf would have to be involved with additional firsts and A level prospects
where and what are the offers for Laine? On hfboards or something concrete?

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
New to the party here, but have to wonder if Buffalo's asking price was something like Fox + Zibanejad + Kakko?

Whatever it was, I wouldn't necessarily put much into the starting ask- if you're the Rangers, and you want another team's franchise player, getting a call back of any kind is a win. Sure, today the price might be Fox/Zib/Kakko or 1st overall/Shesterkin/Kakko, but many big trades have taken weeks or even months to iron out. I can definitely see something coming to fruition between them.

If I had to put a "realistic" price on Eichel's value- and this is an academic exercise that assumes his camp really has made some noise behind the scenes his agent is publicly playing down to help Buffalo get top dollar- Lafreniere, Kakko, and the rights to DeAngelo and Strome is a kingly ransom for a player who doesn't want to play for you (in theory).

Yes, it means Buffalo has to rebuild again, but a U25 core of Laf, Kakko, Reinhart, Cozens, Olofsson, Dahlin, DeAngelo, Jokiharju, UPL, and the 8th this year would be incredible.

The Sabres would be looking at something like this for 2020:

Lafreniere-Reinhart-Skinner
Olofsson-Strome-Kakko
Okposo-Staal-Kahun
Asplund-Cozens-Lazar
Thompson

Dahlin-Miller
McCabe-Ristolainen/DeAngelo
Jokiharju-Montour
Pilut

Hutton
Ullmark
UPL

One of Ristolainen or DeAngelo would have to be moved, but there should be an ample market and it could even help them move up a bit (does 8 and one of them return 5?) in the Draft.

The other option might be to deal 8 + Ristolainen/DeAngelo for an older center, which would push Reinhart back out to RW and move everyone down a spot:

Lafreniere-?-Reinhart
Olofsson-Strome-Skinner

The extra time to develop further down the lineup might help Kakko, and depending on the center that's potentially a really solid top-six on paper.

And on the other side of the ledger, believe it or not, but the Rangers could absorb Eichel at full pop without losing a beat:

Panarin-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Kreider-Eichel-Free Agent
Lemieux (~$2 million)-Chytil-Kravstov
PDG-Howden-Gauthier
13F, 14F (~$900k each)

Smith-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Hajek-Free Agent
7D (~$800k)

Shesterkin
Georgiev (Jarry deal?)

New York would have to walk a VERY thin line with their free agents- probably no more than $4 million between them- but they have major advantages as a destination city and I could see vets like Granlund, Wilson, and Bogosian spurning higher offers for the opportunity to play in NYC.

Is it necessarily wise for the Rangers to tie up $30 million between Panarin, Eichel, and Trouba? With so many of their young players reaching RFA next year maybe not, but this sets them up very nicely for a one year run at a time when everyone else is pinching pennies.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Whatever it was, I wouldn't necessarily put much into the starting ask- if you're the Rangers, and you want another team's franchise player, getting a call back of any kind is a win. Sure, today the price might be Fox/Zib/Kakko or 1st overall/Shesterkin/Kakko, but many big trades have taken weeks or even months to iron out. I can definitely see something coming to fruition between them.

If I had to put a "realistic" price on Eichel's value- and this is an academic exercise that assumes his camp really has made some noise behind the scenes his agent is publicly playing down to help Buffalo get top dollar- Lafreniere, Kakko, and the rights to DeAngelo and Strome is a kingly ransom for a player who doesn't want to play for you (in theory).

Yes, it means Buffalo has to rebuild again, but a U25 core of Laf, Kakko, Reinhart, Cozens, Olofsson, Dahlin, DeAngelo, Jokiharju, UPL, and the 8th this year would be incredible.

The Sabres would be looking at something like this for 2020:

Lafreniere-Reinhart-Skinner
Olofsson-Strome-Kakko
Okposo-Cozens-Kahun
Asplund-Thompson-Lazar

Dahlin-Miller
McCabe-Ristolainen/DeAngelo
Jokiharju-Montour
Pilut

Hutton
UPL

One of Ristolainen or DeAngelo would have to be moved, but there should be an ample market and it could even help them move up a bit (does 8 and one of them return 5?) in the Draft.

The other option might be to deal 8 + Ristolainen/DeAngelo for an older center, which would push Reinhart back out to RW and move everyone down a spot:

Lafreniere-?-Reinhart
Olofsson-Strome-Skinner

The extra time to develop further down the lineup might help Kakko, and depending on the center that's potentially a really solid top-six on paper.

And on the other side of the ledger, believe it or not, but the Rangers could absorb Eichel at full pop without losing a beat:

Panarin-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Kreider-Eichel-Free Agent
Lemieux (~$2 million)-Chytil-Kravstov
PDG-Howden-Gauthier
13F, 14F (~$900k each)

Smith-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Hajek-Free Agent
7D (~$800k)

Shesterkin
Georgiev (Jarry deal?)

New York would have to walk a VERY thin line with their free agents- probably no more than $4 million between them- but they have major advantages as a destination city and I could see vets like Granlund, Wilson, and Bogosian spurning higher offers for the opportunity to play in NYC.

Is it necessarily wise for the Rangers to tie up $30 million between Panarin, Eichel, and Trouba? With so many of their young players reaching RFA next year maybe not, but this sets them up very nicely for a one year run at a time when everyone else is pinching pennies.

Where did Staal and Ullmark go for the Sabres?

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
The quote says the Sabres tabled an offer to the Rangers, not the other way around.
Which could mean that the Rangers asked what they wanted for Eichel and put forth an offer of Fox, Zibanejad and Kakko or some offer similar. I still think the Rangers initiated the conversation and Buffalo came up with an offer that Rangers rejected.

However, everyone is just speculating right now myself included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad