Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'm surprised a reporter hasn't asked your question(s).
Talk about the 800 lbs gorilla.

I'm more than surprised...I'm shocked. I know our media is in bad shape but that seems like a question that is just begging to be asked of either Eichel or Buffalo management or both.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I'm surprised a reporter hasn't asked/reported on your question(s).
Talk about the 800 lbs gorilla in the room.

I would bet that they have, and probably numerous times. It seems to be one of the (rare) occasions that someone associated with the Sabres hasn't leaked confidential info.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm more than surprised...I'm shocked. I know our media is in bad shape but that seems like a question that is just begging to be asked of either Eichel or Buffalo management or both.
Or ask the teams who are bidding - it's their behaviour that makes the least sense.

As for sports reporters...

Most finished in the bottom of their class in journalism school so don't expect too much other than what the teams want them to print and quotes like "We're giving 110%".

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I would bet that they have, and probably numerous times. It seems to be one of the (rare) occasions that someone associated with the Sabres hasn't leaked confidential info.
Maybe - but why keep it confidential?

But like @tomd said (paraphrasing), "If you're the Sabres and Eichel is healthy, it makes no sense not to shout it from the roof tops."

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Or ask the teams who are bidding - it's their behaviour that makes the least sense.

As for sports reporters...

Most finished in the bottom of their class in journalism school so don't expect too much other than what the teams want them to print and quotes like "We're giving 110%".

I never go to non-Duck/Kings boards but I'm glad I came here to ask some pretty important questions. Thanks for treating me with respect and openness. On the downside, I feel even less comfortable now then I did before!

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Maybe.

But like @tomd said (paraphrasing), "If you're the Sabres and Eichel is healthy, it makes no sense not to shout it from the roof tops."

If you're the Sabres and Eichel is healthy, it makes no sense to even spend 0.0003 seconds entertaining the possibility of trading him.

Reactions: Jim Bob

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
If you're the Sabres and Eichel is healthy, it makes no sense to even spend 0.0003 seconds entertaining the possibility of trading him.

Unless the relationship has become so toxic that not having Eichel as a part of the organization is beneficial to the team.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Maybe - but why keep it confidential?

Why wouldn't they?

If Eichel is injured (needs surgery, more rehab, etc) then announcing it to everyone just lowers his value even further.

If Eichel isn't injured (and thus instead is simply pushing to get out of Buffalo) then announcing that he isn't injured would basically just be calling him out publicly. That could (and probably would) lead to a rebuttal from Eichel's advisers. Why inflame what is essentially a no win situation?

IMHO, the only intelligent thing for the Sabres to do is what they are doing, keeping their damned mouths shut.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Why wouldn't they?

If Eichel is injured (needs surgery, more rehab, etc) then announcing it to everyone just lowers his value even further.

If Eichel isn't injured (and thus instead is simply pushing to get out of Buffalo) then announcing that he isn't injured would basically just be calling him out publicly. That could (and probably would) lead to a rebuttal from Eichel's advisers. Why inflame what is essentially a no win situation?

IMHO, the only intelligent thing for the Sabres to do is what they are doing, keeping their damned mouths shut.
I agree with paragraph # 1.

I don't agree with paragraphs # 2 and 3 - if they are shopping Eichel around, you want a maximum number of bidders and that won't happen if there is an injury rumour.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I agree with paragraph # 1.

I don't agree with paragraphs # 2 and 3 - if they are shopping Eichel around, you want a maximum number of bidders and that won't happen if there is an injury rumour.

I agree.

My original answer was specific to someone mentioning that reporters hasn't asked about the status of the injury. And this answer is in the same concept. I don't believe the Sabres have anything to gain at this point by going public.

I also don't doubt that if teams are serious about a trade that they can (and probably have been) updated. Not every details leaks.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I agree.

My answer was specific to someone mentioning that reporters hasn't asked about the status of the injury. I also don't doubt that if teams are serious about a trade that they can (and probably have been) updated. Not every details leaks.
Fair enough. :)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My biggest issue right now is rushing the trade:

-Before a head coach and coaching staff are established
-Without a more fleshed out front office

You would think it would make some sense to consult with the new coaching staff about players you would want in return, especially given coaches have more relationships you can lean on.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why wouldn't they?

Eichel's health status is known to the teams that are talking trade. Teams are not allowed to withhold injury information from other teams. Plus, Eichel would need to pass a physical with the new team for the trade to go through. So, even if the Sabres were hiding his status, it could blow up in their face if the other team opts to negate the trade through a failed physical.

Just because information isn't public doesn't mean that it isn't freely going back and forth between teams.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

You would think it would make some sense to consult with the new coaching staff about players you would want in return, especially given coaches have more relationships you can lean on.

This isn't going to happen. Terry and Kim clearly have designs to keep the front office staffing levels as lean as possible.

Reactions: Jim Bob

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This isn't going to happen. Terry and Kim clearly have designs to keep the front office staffing levels as lean as possible.

Sigh, I'm aware. Just silly to try to make the most important trades in a decade for the team without having anyone who knows what they are doing.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY

Has anyone checked to make sure Chad isn't still waiting for his phone to light up? It's been over 4 days.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Has anyone checked to make sure Chad isn't still waiting for his phone to light up? It's been over 4 days.

He did explain in the thread to Howard that he meant for the next couple weeks, don’t forget your phone when you go to the grocery store, for example.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
It's quite telling that the history of Eichel's Sabres career has fitted into 3 x ~1000 post threads on this forum. Roughly a third of those posts have been made since his 'trade request'.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Granato is still hanging around there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad