Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He turned 22 this year and had 11 goals, 25 points in 28 games in the AHL this season. Their team finished 1st in the league. I wouldn't call him "useless". He's also not the main piece of the package and very interchangeable in that deal. (Luke Tuch, Sean Farrell, Jan Mysak are some other names) Pick a forward prospect & a defense prospect.

Kotkaniemi + 1st round pick.
Pick a forward prospect: Ryan Poehling, Jan Mysak, Luke, Tuch, Sean Farrell, etc, etc...
Pick a defense prospect: Kaiden Guhle, Mattias Norlinder, Jordan Harris, Jayden Struble, etc, etc...

Adding another pick or giving up an extra prospect depending on the ask could be negotiable. It's a package and it might not pan out but I think there is a good amount of potential value in there.

It's def a bold deal lol. It could come back to haunt either team.

There are a bunch of teams that can both offer better starting pieces than Kotkeniemi and that aren't in our division. Montreal doesn't stand a chance here.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I can tell you that fanbases of other teams are more concerned about acquiring a guy that wants/needs experimental surgery then what players to give up. The potential recovery time of 7-9 months isn't helping make anyone feel better about giving up a boatload of assets.
^This^

I agree. It doesn't make sense. If I was a team who was interested in Eichel, I'd have a ton of conditions attached to the trade.

Better yet, I'd say, "Call me when he's 100% - and NOT before then."

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm still wondering why the emphasis is on what the trade should be rather than can there be a trade at all with his medical condition up in the air? I can tell you that fanbases of other teams are more concerned about acquiring a guy that wants/needs experimental surgery then what players to give up. The potential recovery time of 7-9 months isn't helping make anyone feel better about giving up a boatload of assets.
It seemed to me that was recovering after such an operation for three months. I think a deal is inevitable because Adams and Pegulas have completely abandoned Jack. Reinhart and Risto will also be traded. (This is just my opinion)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It seemed to me that I was recovering after such an operation for three months. I think a deal is inevitable because Adams and Pegulas have completely abandoned Jack. Reinhart and Risto will also be traded. (This is just my opinion)

Thanks...but when you say "recovering" was that just being able to walk and do desk work or was it the ability to play professional hockey at the highest level in the world??

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
???

So you had a similar surgery and it took 3 months to recover?

How did the surgery turn out?
LOL no, my bad. I did not have such an operation, I meant that it seemed that there was already information that recovery after such an operation was three months.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
LOL no, my bad. I did not have such an operation, I meant that it seemed that there was already information that recovery after such an operation was three months.
Fair enough. :)

As I've said before, I've know a LOT of people who have had neck/back surgery and they are never the same.

You can replace a knee, a hip and even a heart. Leave your spine to God and time - which is what the Sabres want Eichel to do.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
^This^

I agree. It doesn't make sense. If I was a team who was interested in Eichel, I'd have a ton of conditions attached to the trade.

Better yet, I'd say, "Call me when he's 100% - and NOT before then."

As a Ducks/Kings follower this is exactly what I think should happen. No one wants an injured Eichel and everyone would be p*ssed if he was acquired and then needed surgery and a multi-month recovery time. Pundits like Friedmann and Dreger need to spend more time on finding out about his medical condition and far less time on who might be interested in acquiring him. The cart is before the horse right now.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Thanks...but when you say "recovering" was that just being able to walk and do desk work or what it the ability to play professional hockey at the highest level in the world??
I don't know, but such an operation has already been done by some MMA fighters, it seems. It's just that I'm not even sure if he needs an operation or if he just wants to leave the organization in this way.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As a Ducks/Kings follower this is exactly what I think should happen. No one wants an injured Eichel and everyone would be p*ssed if he was acquired and then needed surgery and a multi-month recovery time. Pundits like Friedmann and Dreger need to spend more time on finding out about his medical condition and far less time on who might be interested in acquiring him. The cart is before the horse right now.
Not Friedman and Dreger's fault. They're only reporting the news.

I think the Ducks/Kings/BH are the crazy ones. Why would you even consider a trade until Eichel is 100%?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

As I've said before, I've know a LOT of people who have had neck/back surgery and they are never the same.

You can replace a knee, a hip and even a heart. Leave your spine to God and time.
Coming from someone currently recovering from back surgery number two, I can attest to this. The thing that we also have to realize is that eichel has access to the best surgical and physical therapy teams available and that makes just a massive difference.

Hopeful whether he goes to anaheim or not that he makes a full recovery because the game is just better with stars like him at full strength.

Reactions: ORRFForever

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

You can replace a knee, a hip and even a heart. Leave your spine to God and time.

I don't know, but such an operation has already been done by some MMA fighters, it seems. It's just that I'm not even sure if he needs an operation or if he just wants to leave the organization in this way.

From post #844 on this thread. Recovery time roughly 7-9 months although the sample size is small. And for the experimental surgery there are no comparables. Scary.

Jack Eichel’s Neck Surgery & Recovery - Die By The Blade

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
How have they turned out?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Not Friedman and Dreger's fault. They're only reporting the news.

I think the Ducks/Kings/BH are the crazy ones. Why would you even consider a trade until Eichel is 100%?

Couldn't agree more which makes me wonder if all these trade rumors are just click bait.

Thanks for letting me ask these questions without getting defensive!!!!

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I wonder if the Sabres feel Eichel will never be the same and they want to get what they can.

Well that could certainly be part of it. I just can't believe the GM's and owners of other teams would spend top assets to make a $50 million commitment acquiring a player who is going to have neck surgery as his first official act with his new team. Either this is all click bait or there is information being exchanged among teams about his condition that his been kept tightly under raps.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Well that could certainly be part of it. I just can't believe the GM's and owners of other teams would spend top assets to make a $50 million commitment acquiring a player who is going to have neck surgery as his first official act with his new team. Either this is all click bait or there is information being exchanged among teams about his condition that his been kept tightly under raps.
^ Sums it up perfectly. ^

I agree, it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomd

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
I'm still wondering why the emphasis is on what the trade should be rather than can there be a trade at all with his medical condition up in the air? I can tell you that fanbases of other teams are more concerned about acquiring a guy that wants/needs experimental surgery then what players to give up. The potential recovery time of 7-9 months isn't helping make anyone feel better about giving up a boatload of assets.

As has been stated, the parties involved are going to have access to relevant info. It's doubtful that that stuff gets discussed in public other than some general statements from the teams when/if a trade happens. If a team is pursuing the trade, they're ok with the state of the injury and associated risk.

I get that other fanbases are concerned about his condition, but (*channels former big headed, worst ever GM*) this is a situation where they really can't do anything but put they trust in the management of thier team. I think public disclosure/discussion of his health info isn't going to happen beyond the broadest possible terms.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
As has been stated, the parties involved are going to have access to relevant info. It's doubtful that that stuff gets discussed in public other than some general statements from the teams when/if a trade happens. If a team is pursuing the trade, they're ok with the state of the injury and associated risk.

I get that other fanbases are concerned about his condition, but (*channels former big headed, worst ever GM*) this is a situation where they really can't do anything but put they trust in the management of thier team. I think public disclosure/discussion of his health info isn't going to happen beyond the broadest possible terms.

Maybe but I just can't think of a single reason to keep the information and treatment options private if it was GOOD news. Wouldn't Buffalo and Eichel benefit if he was 100% healthy and no surgery needed? Wouldn't that increase the number of bidders and spike his return? It doesn't make any sense.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Not that it even matters that much, but was there any mention of Eichel specifically having a neck issue before his last game of this season?

Just wish I knew what the Rangers' "reasonable offer" last summer was, if it was even reasonable, or whether it was the owner Dolan or the dearly departed GM Gorton who was so pro-bringing Eichel over here.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Maybe but I just can't think of a single reason to keep the information and treatment options private if it was GOOD news. Wouldn't Buffalo and Eichel benefit if he was 100% healthy and no surgery needed? Wouldn't that increase the number of bidders and spike his return? It doesn't make any sense.
I'm surprised a reporter hasn't asked/reported on your question(s).
Talk about the 800 lbs gorilla in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad