Player Discussion Jack Eichel – Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Well, no...when the rebuild started he was fourteen. We actively threw away one season to guarantee at least Eichel. The other three we just sucked on merit.

2013: We need to get to the bottom to get great players. Let's tear this thing down.
2014: We are at the bottom, but there is no great player. Let's stay here for a bit.
2015: Okay! This is what I'm talking about!
2016: We're still going to suck, but it's fine because we have Eichel!

I mean, this is pretty much throwing away four season so that we could get one guy.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
2013: We need to get to the bottom to get great players. Let's tear this thing down.
2014: We are at the bottom, but there is no great player. Let's stay here for a bit.

I mean, this is pretty much throwing away four season so that we could get one guy.

I'd say 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 were both "okay, we have jack and now Ryan, time to climb the rankings".

They just executed incredibly poorly, and had some bad luck in combination.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Or they threw away two seasons because they hired the wrong coach...

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Or they threw away two seasons because they hired the wrong coach...

I'd say 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 were both "okay, we have jack and now Ryan, time to climb the rankings".

They just executed incredibly poorly, and had some bad luck in combination.

I didn't include last season as a throw away. But the season after we got Jack was absolutely a throw away because it was nothing more than a development season.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Just give him what he wants. We basically threw away 4 seasons so we could get him. Playing hardball is the dumbest thing I could imagine.

We threw away 4 seasons to rebuild through MULTIPLE seasons to get MULTIPLE Good/Great players because we didn't have the prospects/nor the core to be a competitive team. Within those 4 seasons, we threw away ONE season to get Eichel (the 2014-2015 season) with so many "tank-like" moves. You can only throw away ONE season if you're targeting one player to get ONE player; See 2015-2016 Toronto Maple Leafs.

Toronto STUNK the previous seasons because they were just bad, even though they had a middle of the road team in terms of talent level. Then when they saw Buffalo and Arizona making moves to get to the bottom as quickly as possible Toronto made multiple moves to assure themselves they would be bad enough to get a top 4 at worst. They kept guys in Juniors and Minors and signed as many subpar players.

In short, Toronto was an example of throwing seasons away for ONE player, Buffalo is an example of throwing away seasons to get MULTIPLE players.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
We threw away 4 seasons to rebuild through MULTIPLE seasons to get MULTIPLE Good/Great players because we didn't have the prospects/nor the core to be a competitive team. Within those 4 seasons, we threw away ONE season to get Eichel (the 2014-2015 season) with so many "tank-like" moves. You can only throw away ONE season if you're targeting one player to get ONE player; See 2015-2016 Toronto Maple Leafs.

Toronto STUNK the previous seasons because they were just bad, even though they had a middle of the road team in terms of talent level. Then when they saw Buffalo and Arizona making moves to get to the bottom as quickly as possible Toronto made multiple moves to assure themselves they would be bad enough to get a top 4 at worst. They kept guys in Juniors and Minors and signed as many subpar players.

In short, Toronto was an example of throwing seasons away for ONE player, Buffalo is an example of throwing away seasons to get MULTIPLE players.

Yea but 2014 doesn't count :sarcasm:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I didn't include last season as a throw away. But the season after we got Jack was absolutely a throw away because it was nothing more than a development season.

So why are you including 2015-2016's seasons as a season to throw away for Jack. We already had him. IMO, the 2015-2016 season was a "we are done building our core, let's start developing these guys correctly, and not just Jack."

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
So why are you including 2015-2016's seasons as a season to throw away for Jack. We already had him. IMO, the 2015-2016 season was a "we are done building our core, let's start developing these guys correctly, and not just Jack."

Absolutely.

In my opinion there was only one and a half years of tank.

13-14 heading into camp, the hope was to get off to a solid start and potentially re-sign Vanek and Miller. Vanek talks stalled, a perfect deal opened up and he was moved. The team didn't perform and the plug was finally pulled. But I don't believe the plan was to tank at all from the get go of that season.

14-15 was the obvious tank job.

The last two seasons were disappointments. But they were far from intentional throw aways.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
15-16 was absolutely a throwaway from the perspective that it really didn't matter if the team was actually any good. No expectations, we just wanted positive signs out of the team. Basically everyone was on the same page there, I'm sure the organization was probably in that same frame of mind too. That was Bylsma's year to figure his team out (which backfired spectacularly in hindsight).

It wasn't a throwaway from a tanking, drafting well perspective though. No one wanted the team to be bad, but we expected them to be and were largely OK with a bad year since it was only Jack's first and there was a ton of turnover in terms of players and staff.

Last edited:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
You'd be better off emotionally arguing Eichel wants to play for Boston, because your other logic is tenuous at best.

I think I argued that already. I also said Eichel wanted to protect his *brand* so he could get sponsors & endorsement deals before he was even drafted. My logic with Jack has been consistent since his draft year, he wants to be perceived as the best & wants to be paid that way. He is a star player and has been treated as such most of this decade, he has made calculated moves in the recent past and this is more similar that you are willing to admit.

Max term possible is synonymous with 8 years for a player already under contract with the same club.
You know that .

There are instances of star players not getting 8 years, like Subban; who then cashed in 2 years later after winning the Norris. Both sides have interests, you know that.

If Botterill had said 8 years, would you have avoided the tailspin below?
If he said 8 years would I assume he meant 8 years? Obviously. 8 years and *max term possible* (with or without your inserted ELC qualifier) are not synonymous.

We don't know what Sabres have offered or what Jack has asked for

This contradicts you saying max term & 8 years are the same thing, because you are assuming to know the Sabres offered 8 years (which I don't dispute) and that Jack is willing to sign for 8 years at the salary offered. The contention is the money offered isn't enough to get the 8 year commitment but would be enough for a bridge deal that affords the Sabres another RFA negotiation.

but it seems likely the salary cap & salary available to Jack with rise over the next 2-5 years (after Mathews, Marner & Laine extend). Then why does anyone sign long-term? Are they all dumber than Jack Eichel?

And in 5 years there could be another lockout that lowers the cap (like every other CBA negotiation). Thing is, everyone doesn't sign long term with the team that drafted them, which is why I mentioned ROR. Doesn't matter if they are dumb, what matters is their perceived market value; every player doesn't have Jack's value as a commodity.

???? Eichel probably did backflips when Bylsma was fired. If anything, it would make him more committed to BUF.

Since Pegula arrived. You were on point until you bent what I said about this. Sure Jack is ecstatic Bylsma is gone, has absolutely no bearing on Pegula running through GMs, VP's and coaches since he became owner. Would you recommend to your client (because I did mention his agent being the one to notice) to sign long term knowing how often the chain of command has changed? How much leverage would that hold as a negotiating tactic, and how long will it last before Jack is seen as less than the solution? Salary increase would make him a paraiah if the Sabres miss the playoffs the next 2 or 3 seasons, no different from Hall or Kessel (in receiving blame, not comparing them as players)

Do you really believe your logic?
It is consistent logic, without the need to be snide.

*simple economics*

The 2017-18 season is the same in any contract scenarios, so exclude from comparisons.

Scenario A: Let's assume an 8 yr extension nets Eichel $64-80M total, average of $72M.

8m, 8.8m, 10m

Scneario B: Let's assume your purported bridge is 2-3 years at $8-16M total, average of $12M.

2y: 4m-8m, 3y: 5.1m is the limit.

Your mistake is implying a bridge deal is that much less annually. You just deducted 3m annually on your own, when Jack could get the same 8m-10m+.

Can't average 12m for multiple years when 16m x 3y is the cap you stated.

Scenario B: Let's assume a 3rd contract is 8 years at $88-120M total, average of $104M

8y x 120m would be 15m a season in 2 or 3 seasons, after the lowball bridge offer you used in scenario B.

$72M minus $12M is $60M. That's Eichel's opportunity cost of signing a bridge deal either now or next season instead of the 8 year deal now.

$104M minus $60M is $44M. That's Eichel's upside opportunity of signing a bridge deal now or next season.

In your capped example, yes. His bridge could be 2y 20m, that is 1.2m more annually than your scenario A & 4.9m more annually than your lowball scenario B. So the real simple economics should be 6years at 8.8m (scenario A after bridge equivalent season) vs 8years at 15m (scenario C after bridge equivalent season). Your bridge topped out at 5.1m, I can't imagine Jack accepting less than 9m on any deal.

But the prospective $44M must be risk-adjusted further downwards.

We will assume the injury risk (career ending or severely performance limiting) is ~1% (1 NHL player per ~3 NHL teams) per year. Cumulatively, in 2-3 years of a bridge deal, it would be between 1-5%. So we assume the $44M opportunity cost is only 100-5%=95% of $44M, or <$42M when risk-adjusted for injury.

That's acceptable to assume, it is a rare occurrence and both sides need to be aware of that risk. Don't want a Savard, Clarkson, Horton anchor long term.

Assuming the contract is level-loaded there's also a few single digit million in opportunity cost of the investment return of the money from the longer deal signed now as compared to the bridge deal, at least during the duration of the bridge deal. (It flips in favor of the Scenario B during the 3rd contract, but that can't be considered, because we're evaluating the merits of 8 year extension now vs. bridge now.) So now were down below $40M differential opportunity.

You are below, but you also lowballed the bridge at 5.1m annually. That is a recurring issue with your logic, but your assumptions are consistent with the logic of a lowball bridge deal.

Examining from a cash flow perspective, Scenario B - the bridge deal plus 3rd contract - doesn't become cash-flow positive relative to Scenario A (an extension now) until early in 2023. The incremental investment return possible during Scenario A most likely delays the positive relative cash flow of Scenario B until 2025.

If you pay Jack 5.1m for 2 seasons (ELC 17/18, bridge 18/19, bridge 19/20) then he gets your previously assumed scenario 3 (15m a year) in 20/21. It also seems you have set a secret benchmark to determine when the cash flow is positive. Is that around 8.8m? It's an honest question, need to know the median you are measuring positive & negative cash flow from.

We ignore / reject any arguments that future salary dollars will be worth less than today's salary dollars in terms of purchasing power by assuming Eichel's potential salary inflates proportional to the Cap, and that both his salary / the Cap inflate higher than the general inflation rate we working peons are subject to outside of the NHL. (in essence, that rejection effectively agrees with your second to last paragraph, but for different reasons)

Can't assume the CBA will be smooth negotiations in 5 years or how the CBA affects cap growth, but willing to go along on the rest for the seasons until then.

So if we assume Eichel is injured at some point during the 8-year contract in either of the A or B scenarios and does not sign a high-dollar 3rd contract after the 8-year Scenario A deal, the question becomes why would Eichel forego $60M guaranteed from 2018-2025 for the prospect of making an incremental $35-$40M from 2021-2028, with the bridge-now scenario not yielding a 3rd contract gain until ~2025 or later?

Absolutely not. You cannot compare the full 8 years vs the bridge; you can only count the years parallel to the bridge deal because his 3rd contract would cover those 6 years from scenario A. If he remains healthy & productive thru the bridge deal then his cash flow positive drops from the 15m in your senario C to the 8.8 in your scenario A. If he gets injured during years 1 or 2 of scenario A, fine, but that is a very distinct demarkation that went unnoticed. Getting injured in season 3 of 8 doesn't matter in this comparison.

Simple economics, 8.8m x 8y is less than 10mx2y + 15mx8y, but using your secret benchmark and 5.1m bridge deal, sure.

The NHLPA and agents know all this stuff, and have spreadsheets on it, which is why, given the option, players sign the longer-term deal whenever possible.

Except when they don't, like Subban, ROR, RyJo, Seguin, Hamilton. Even Tavares signed for 6 years not 8, Hall went 7 years, Eberle 6, Barkov 6 years. Max possible term.

Last edited:

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
Yeah...time for a hf break, my goodness what a disgust full thing to try to digest. The thought process is unreal. You do NOT give EICHEL a darn bridge deal for 5.1...think think think think. I'm sure the organization is better in your mind if they did. So Salute!!...cheers.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Eichel was at Daryl Belfry's camp with many other stars like Patrick Kane and Auston Mathews. Justin Bailey also attended. Reinhart should have been there.

DIo0_0LUwAAGvmt.jpg

http://www.naplesnews.com/story/spo...titasking-and-belfry-said-its-only/617065001/

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Reinhart has spent the summer sitting at home, stuffing his face with extra greasy french fries. I have my sources, don't question me.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Man, that scruff that Eichel has been hanging onto. Yikes. I go no higher than 9.0M unless he commits to maintaining that nonsense.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It'll be hilarious if the Sabres hold out to pay him what he's actually earned, he underperforms, and fans blame it on the contract being a distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad