Player Discussion Jack Eichel – Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Look at team's record with Eichel and without. Look at team goals per game. Look at his shots generated per game.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Look at team's record with Eichel and without. Look at team goals per game. Look at his shots generated per game.

We score more but allow more. Shots for are the same. We allow more shots. Eichel is a bad corsi player. I'm not really sure why. He should be much better. We shouldn't be a worse Corsi team with Eichel.

With:
12-9-4
71GF 2.84pg
73GA 2.92pg
739SF 29.56pg
842SA 33.68pg
5v5 Shot Attempts % 46.51
PP% 24.7

Without:
7-9-5
38GF 1.81pg
50GA 2.38pg
619SF 29.48pg
679SA 32.33pg
5v5 Shot Attempts % 48.13
PP% 20.0

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
We score more but allow more. Shots for are the same. We allow more shots. Eichel is a bad corsi player. I'm not really sure why. He should be much better. We shouldn't be a worse Corsi team with Eichel.

With:
12-9-4
71GF 2.84pg
73GA 2.92pg
739SF 29.56pg
842SA 33.68pg
5v5 Shot Attempts % 46.51
PP% 24.7

Without:
7-9-5
38GF 1.81pg
50GA 2.38pg
619SF 29.48pg
679SA 32.33pg
5v5 Shot Attempts % 48.13
PP% 20.0

He is not acceptable defensively for the role and minutes he gets. For the moments of brilliance he also gives up a ton of easy shots that should never happen at the NHL level.

Growing pains, but it's not surprising at all that his Corsi is suspect.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
He is not acceptable defensively for the role and minutes he gets. For the moments of brilliance he also gives up a ton of easy shots that should never happen at the NHL level.

I'll take the 1+ GF pg jump in exchange for a .6 GA pg drop. Every time.

We brought Eichel in to be an elite offensive center. Yes, he's not quite where we want him to be defensively, but, comes with the 20 year old phenom territory.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

We brought Eichel in to be an elite offensive center. Yes, he's not quite where we want him to be defensively, but, comes with the 20 year old phenom territory.

Yup.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

There are other variables like O'Reilly and Eichel out at the same, but Eichel obviously improves our power play. Now we have to improve 5v5.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Every Eichel shift seems like it happens at one end of the rink. He's either hemming someone in, or getting hemmed in. The great news is that it seems to be harder to be the hemmer than the hemmee. I know up making up a whole bunch of words here, but you get the point. Hopefully, he learns how to be a bit more effective in his own end, but I won't complain unless he stops producing scoring chances the way he does.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Jack w/ Sam:

GF: 2.27
GA: 1.89
GF%: 54.5%

CF: 64.68
CA: 60.52
CF%: 51.7%

Jack without Sam:

GF: 1.92
GA: 2.46
GF%: 43.8%

CF: 44.07
CA: 63.77
CF%: 40.9%

Sam without Jack:

GF: 1.96
GA: 1.96
GF%: 50.0%

CF: 52.45
CA: 54.66
CF%: 49.0%

--

I would note that Jack has a bit more D-zone starts without Sam.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

I will start giving a damn when we get a coach who doesn't think he can outsmart Corsi. We're a bad Corsi team and it's by design. That is way more of an issue than Eichel's individual numbers, which will likely turn out just fine as he develops.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Jack w/ Sam:

Jack without Sam:

Sam without Jack:

--

Which is why people shouldn't have freaked out about moving sam to jack's wing.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Jack w/ Sam:

Jack without Sam:

Sam without Jack:

--

Jack and Sam with Foligno kind of is counterproductive.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I will start giving a damn when we get a coach who doesn't think he can outsmart Corsi. We're a bad Corsi team and it's by design. That is way more of an issue than Eichel's individual numbers, which will likely turn out just fine as he develops.

We could bring back Regier for that :p

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
That run at center he had with ROR out had a real positive impact on his game, he's been much more in the middle of things since, hanging on to the puck longer and just more confident in general on the ice.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Eichel has that "I'm going to put the team on my back" attitude and I love it.

Not sure hat you are watching but that is ROR. I give credit for Eichel scoring but he certainly doesn't but this team on his back. Half the time he looks disinterested.

At anytime you could look at the scoresheet and the guy could get 2, 3 or even 4 points in any given game but he still is not quite there to take over and lead.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Canome someone give an in depth review of Jack Eichel? I don't watch enough games to see who he really is especially defensively.

From What I have seen he may have one of the best shots in the league, great skater and can carry the puck maybe also top in the league and when he wants to score he can score. what is the bad points of his offensive game? Is Bylsma holding him back? Or is that on Eichel?

Is it fair to say guys like Crosby and McDavid can slow the game down and adapt to the play where Eichel is more set on a play or he just isn't there yet but will get to that level? Did college hockey prepare him less the NHL as opposed to Mathews playing in Europe? Just threw a few things out there to get a better understanding of the things Jack is doing so I can follow him better. Thanks!

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Canome someone give an in depth review of Jack Eichel? I don't watch enough games to see who he really is especially defensively.

From What I have seen he may have one of the best shots in the league, great skater and can carry the puck maybe also top in the league and when he wants to score he can score. what is the bad points of his offensive game? Is Bylsma holding him back? Or is that on Eichel?

Is it fair to say guys like Crosby and McDavid can slow the game down and adapt to the play where Eichel is more set on a play or he just isn't there yet but will get to that level? Did college hockey prepare him less the NHL as opposed to Mathews playing in Europe? Just threw a few things out there to get a better understanding of the things Jack is doing so I can follow him better. Thanks!
I think his main weakness offensively is that he doesn't like to get dirty in puck battles along the boards. He will skate in and try to steal it away, but he usually doesn't dig in and really battle to win it like ROR is so adept at doing. I think that's why people call him a floater sometimes. On the other hand, when he does have the puck and wants to protect it, it's nearly impossible to take it away from him. And of course, as we all know, his skating, passing, and shot are elite.

I will say I definitely think he is improving in terms of being engaged in the offensive zone relative to last year. He's not a floater, he's just still learning what he needs to do to adapt his game to the NHL level. I also personally think that sometimes people's perspectives on this are results-based. Sometimes people say he didn't show up for a period or whatever, but what really happened is that plays just weren't connecting as often as they would like.

His aversion to getting dirty in puck battles is also the main reason he's weak defensively, IMO. He's pretty good at getting back to break up rushes going the other way, but once the other team has established the forecheck he's pretty ineffective. I'm okay with that at this point in his career. I want him to be an elite point producer. We've got already got good to great two-way players in ROR, Sam, and Larsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad