Player Discussion Jack Eichel – Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
If so his agent needs to be fired. What if Eichel gets into a car wreck tomorrow. When its THIS much money, you don't wait. It'd be great for the Sabres...awful for the player not to get pen to paper.

Really? :laugh:

Anyway, I said announced. A good time to announce the signing would be the first day of camp. Add to he excitement level.

Also, let's play your scenario......Eichel gets into an awful car wreck while a verbal agreement had been reached. What, from the Pegula's past dealings, would make you believe they wouldn't take care of Jack Eichel?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

Anyway, I said announced. A good time to announce the signing would be the first day of camp. Add to he excitement level.

Also, let's play your scenario......Eichel gets into an awful car wreck while a verbal agreement had been reached. What, from the Pegula's past dealings, would make you believe they wouldn't take care of Jack Eichel?

Guaranteed that Eichel's had a big insurance policy since he left BU, probably had one while he was in college if not even before. If I had an athletic phenom kid who was almost certain to become a pro athlet e I'd be buying an insurance policy for him.

If Jack had a career ending accident before he signs a new contract no way would Terry Pegula be paying him out anything. That's the player's responsibility, I'm also sure the CBA includes a big disability insurance policy - but not $80M worth.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

not a lawyer but now this would make an interesting legal situation if there was a verbal agreement when his career was ended (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!).

Black's Law Dictionary

Verbal agreements and oral contracts are generally valid and legally binding as long as they are reasonable, equitable, conscionable and made in good faith.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Jack Eichel, C, Buffalo Sabres

Being dubbed the savior of a championship-starved franchise comes with its share of land mines, and at 20 years old, Eichel is still learning how to navigate through them. On paper, he has had a pretty impressive start to his career, with 48 goals and 113 points in 142 games, ranking 49th among NHL players during that time.

But the Sabres have been dreadful in those two seasons, finishing 15 points out of a playoff spot in Eichel's rookie season and 17 points behind the pack last season. Eichel's frustration boiled over in a season-ending press conference, when he described his first two years in Buffalo as "embarrassing" and questioned his teammates' work ethic, saying, "There's a difference between saying you want to win and actually wanting to win and putting the work in and dedicating your life to it."

Eichel, who is entering the final season of his entry-level contract, strongly denied reports he would not re-sign with the Sabres if Dan Bylsma returned as coach, but he could not escape criticism after Bylsma and general manager Tim Murray were fired and replaced with Jason Botterill and Phil Housley, respectively. With a new front office and coaching staff, the slate has been wiped clean in Buffalo, but the pressure on Eichel to take the Sabres where Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews have taken the Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs is mounting, and it's real.

TWO YEARS after being drafted to a team in a FULL TEAR DOWN and rebuild, and you don't make the playoffs, compared to two players/teams that have either gone through a full rebuild and went through a re-tool, or went through a mini re-tool, and somehow there's mounting pressure. Eichel was drafted to a totally different organization status than the other two. Why the media keeps thinking they are all the same situations and therefore easily comparable escapes me.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Huh? With a contract that large, the contract is going to be insured. Verbal agreement or not...the insurance company with won't insure a contract for an injured player. Just look at the mess in Columbus with Horton and insurance. It was such a burden, they took on the Clarkson contract. It isn't a matter of him doing the "right" thing, it's an issue of the long term health and viability of the hockey team.

Anyways, back to my original point. If Eichel and the Sabres have an agreement, they should get pen to paper that day. Even though the risk of injury off the ice is remote, it's still a risk.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Huh? With a contract that large, the contract is going to be insured. Verbal agreement or not...the insurance company with won't insure a contract for an injured player. Just look at the mess in Columbus with Horton and insurance. It was such a burden, they took on the Clarkson contract. It isn't a matter of him doing the "right" thing, it's an issue of the long term health and viability of the hockey team.

Anyways, back to my original point. If Eichel and the Sabres have an agreement, they should get pen to paper that day. Even though the risk of injury off the ice is remote, it's still a risk.

And nowhere in my original posts did I say nothing hadn't been signed. I am speaking of announcing the deal.

I still feel (gut) an 8 year deal has already been reached. The latest we will hear about it is the first day of camp.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
If so his agent needs to be fired. What if Eichel gets into a car wreck tomorrow. When its THIS much money, you don't wait. It'd be great for the Sabres...awful for the player not to get pen to paper.
Waiting to announce the extension is not the same as waiting to sign it. The poster you quoted postulated that it has already been signed; therefore, the car wreck scenario isn't relevant.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Waiting to announce the extension is not the same as waiting to sign it. The poster you quoted postulated that it has already been signed; therefore, the car wreck scenario isn't relevant.

And nowhere in my original posts did I say nothing hadn't been signed. I am speaking of announcing the deal.

I still feel (gut) an 8 year deal has already been reached. The latest we will hear about it is the first day of camp.

Correct me if I'm wrong here (this theoretical discussion is going to semantics, i know), but, for a contract to be "official" it needs to be both signed AND filed with the league and approved. I'm ASSUMING if this was filed and approved by the league already, we'd hear about it.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
TWO YEARS after being drafted to a team in a FULL TEAR DOWN and rebuild, and you don't make the playoffs, compared to two players/teams that have either gone through a full rebuild and went through a re-tool, or went through a mini re-tool, and somehow there's mounting pressure. Eichel was drafted to a totally different organization status than the other two. Why the media keeps thinking they are all the same situations and therefore easily comparable escapes me.

Wow that's some semantic obfuscation.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Correct me if I'm wrong here (this theoretical discussion is going to semantics, i know), but, for a contract to be "official" it needs to be both signed AND filed with the league and approved. I'm ASSUMING if this was filed and approved by the league already, we'd hear about it.
You may well be right. I don't know anything about that stuff.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
No, not it isn't and yes he is 4 million dollars better. Bark over is a good player, but he is not an elite player. Eichel has the potential to be elite.

Jack's offensive output in his rookie season nearly equals Barkov's first two seasons. When Barkov signed in January of 16, the best stretch he had was 28 points in 35 games. Eichel was hovering right at a point per game all season last year while coming back from a high ankle sprain and playing a system that stifles offense.

They aren't comparable in any way, shape, or form. Sign him up for 9.5-10 and move on. ******* around your star player over 500k is pointless.

Barkov is so much better defensively it isn't even funny. Don't overrate Eichel and diminish Barkov. Barkov is absolutely up there with Matthews, Laine, Marner and Eichel as the games best young talent. Again, Eichel is not $4 mil a season better then Barkov. Not even close.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
"but the pressure on Eichel to take the Sabres where Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews have taken the Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs is mounting, and it's real."

Matthews took his team to a first round exit. So envious.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The entire Toronto Maple Leafs team has a career year because of Auston Matthews.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

Would it be out of line to ask the league to keep it quiet until the team announces it?

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Right. Honestly, I'm not too concerned about Jack Eichel getting into a careerr ending car accident or something of the same category in the next two weeks.

I'm still sticking to my prediction that an eigth year extension agreement has been reached and will be announced the first day of camp.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Yes. The signed contract must be filed with Central Registry first. In the offseason, the league then has 5 days to approve or reject it. 7 days before the season starts, they have until 5pm the following day. If the league takes no action before that deadline, the contract is accepted by default.

And I agree with you, if this was sitting in CR, it would have leaked.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
couldn't it be signed and both parties have copies, it just isn't filed yet? if something bad were to happen to eichel the pressure to file it would be so immense it'd happen anyway. if it really was that bad it's not like the team's cap situation is going to suffer at all, it's just money to the player or family.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
If a deal was already in place and they were waiting for training camp to open, i seriously doubt Kevin Sylvester would be the one to break the news.

I am not concerned about the deal getting done. Once training camp is over and he isn't signed, then i'll start to wonder.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Just give him what he wants. We basically threw away 4 seasons so we could get him. Playing hardball is the dumbest thing I could imagine.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Just give him what he wants. We basically threw away 4 seasons so we could get him. Playing hardball is the dumbest thing I could imagine.

Well, no...when the rebuild started he was fourteen. We actively threw away one season to guarantee at least Eichel. The other three we just sucked on merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad