Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Fowler
Gormley
Schwartz
Tarasenko
Bjugstad

All were talked about at one time with most wanting Gormley until Fowler fell. No one besides Bernhardt and Nieuwendyk wanted Campbell.

Yeah. All would have been great. Also seen as guys who were longshots but had big potential at that point where Justin Faulk and John Merrill. Merrill is solid and Faulk is racking up points.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I think alot of us hated that pick from the start, and not even just because Cam Fowler somehow magically fell to us. Campbell at that point was a guy who basically had an amazing WJC to his credit and little else. Really other than a great 16 games last year his numbers everywhere other than WJCs has been pretty damn pedestrian.

And even in that "amazing" WJCH, did he not get pulled in the final game?

I really thought Gormley would be the pick at that time, though some had Forbert, some had Fowler, and I think some were even reaching at Tinordi. Some did say that the Stars were after McIlrath, however, and the Rangers beat them to the punch. I doubt that's the case, but it's food for thought.

I'm looking back at that draft now. Tarasenko obviously has turned out, Charlie Coyle would have been a favourite of mine, and Nill's own pick Riley Sheahan is about ready to break out too. Devante Smith-Pelly, Tyler Toffoli, and Jason Zucker would have been nice too.

Of course, adding to the fifth-round mystique around here, the Stars took one John Klingberg that year — so at least the 2010 draft wasn't all for naught with him and Nemeth both selected that year.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This is more general managements fault than Campbells fault in my opinion. How is a prospects supposed to develop when you sign Nilstorp, Lindback, and Rynnas?

Some of you guys will say "Campbell needs to play better and show what he's got".. the dude went 12-4-1 or something crazy but yet Nilstorp still played every game. I would rather Texas plays .500 hockey and sneaks into the playoffs or just barely misses rather than playing Morin, Jeffrey, Mueller, Nilstorp and win a Calder Cup.
None of this is management's fault. Nothing Nill did caused Campbell to be constantly hurt, sick, and terrible this season.

And why do you want to see the Texas Stars play poorly?

Primetimey*

None of this is management's fault. Nothing Nill did caused Campbell to be constantly hurt, sick, and terrible this season.

And why do you want to see the Texas Stars play poorly?

Well he signed two garbage NHL backups, one who plays in the AHL and one who rides the pine in the NHL. Then he decides the NHL pine rider needs games so he sends him to Texas and takes starts away from Campbell.

Sure, Campbell has had a rough go this year with sickness, injuries, and random mental problems. But at the end of the day a goalie is all about rhythm and getting starts.

I don't want to see Texas do poorly, but I want to see development over Nilstorp winning Calder Cups.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
Well he signed two garbage NHL backups, one who plays in the AHL and one who rides the pine in the NHL. Then he decides the NHL pine rider needs games so he sends him to Texas and takes starts away from Campbell.

Sure, Campbell has had a rough go this year with sickness, injuries, and random mental problems. But at the end of the day a goalie is all about rhythm and getting starts.

I don't want to see Texas do poorly, but I want to see development over Nilstorp winning Calder Cups.

This is my thinking as well.

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Maybe send JC to Ässät for a year or two..

Here he'd have a world-class coaching and chance to play say 50 games +playoffs at a high level, if he's able to cement his place as a no.1. Antti Raanta came to Ässät as a 21-year-old and struggling to keep his place in the Finnish League, not even touching at a chance of ever playing in the NHL. Rynnäs was playing 3rd tier hockey in Finland before he got his chance. Ässät will probably need another goalie for next year so what would be better than the two organisations working together for Campbell.

I don't know exactly what has slowed his progress but fresh scenery in a place which is known to grow great keepers might get the best out of him once again.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I don't buy it. Nill isn't forcing Texas to at guys over Campbell. This is a long season. Campbell has had every opportunity to win the starting job there, and he's been awful. Nill signing a couple of terrible goalies didn't get in the way of development. Campbell could have easily pushed them to the bench if he earned the ice time.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Putting any of this on Nill is loony tunes. If these players were garbage, Campbell would play over them. Laxdal ... while he's done many things I've been no fan of ... he gave Jack every opportunity early this season to get on track. Both he and Rynnas struggled behind a pretty awful defense.

Then came the mysterious illness. Jack came back from his illness this season, and he was never the same. They called it the flu, and others speculated it was more based on information out of Austin ... but I don't think it's appropriate to really throw around those accusations without ironclad info. Something was and is seriously off though. He never looked right from that point on.

Texas has a responsibility to develop every prospect for Dallas. Missing the playoffs because of a snake bit or worse goalie is unacceptable. Last nights loss put Texas back in 10th place. A win would have put them in 7th. The margin is a razor thin to get in, and Campbell's development is no more important than Curtis McKenzie, Brett Ritchie, Gemel Smith, Julius Honka, Jamie Oleksiak, Jyrki Jokipakka, and hopefully/likely eventually joining later this season Cole Ully, Jason Dickinson, etc. just to name a few.

We saw what a playoff run did for Faksa and the defenders. This team is good enough to repeat when the Dallas guys return to Texas, and Dickinson could easily be this year's Faksa.

I'm the quickest to defend Campbell, and I don't see this as the end of the line for him. It could be ... maybe, but he has an entire year of waiver exemption next season to get back on track as well. Hopefully he can. He's being badly outplayed by Rynnas and Lindback (when down in Austin), and any goalie prospect worth his salt should have responded to the competition positively. If he can't hold them off, he'll never be an NHL goalie. This is NOT last season where it was disappointing to see them go away from the rotation. Campbell faced that competition quite well and deserved to continue to play. An injury shouldn't have lost him his spot.

MetalGodAOD*

Agreed completely BigG. Campbell deserves everything that's come his way this season with his play. Whatever injury he's having, mental of physical, has tanked his season.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Not to belabor the point, but this just occurred to me.

We're not whining about Brett Ritchie playing behind Greg Rallo or Derek Hulak because he never has. We're also not whining about Matej Stransky playing behind both of those guys because he hasn't earned the time. Jim Nill has made it clear he expects competition at EVERY level. Ritchie, McKenzie, and Ranford responded to bringing back an original Texas Star and fan favorite in Rallo by consistently playing over him whenever they are in the Texas lineup (for Ranford every game). Stransky didn't. He hasn't looked bad ... he's just still figuring it out and proving that he was more of a project that a guy like Ritchie.

It's important to earn a spot as much as it is to play. My only gripe every comes when it's a tie or obvious the rookie is better ... I can't stand the coach playing it safe and going with the veteran. That's unacceptable in a development league. I actually would say Laxdall has been extremely fair with that this season.

His biggest issues seems to be communication or player relations. Very surprised by that, but hopefully things go better better next season. He seems to be doing much better lately though. Team looks good again.

ChillyDub

Feb 10, 2015
I'm a Texas Stars season ticket holder, and I can say that Campbell has been awful this year. He seems to love trying to go handle the puck outside of the crease, and he's terrible at it. I remember one goal where he came out of the net, grabbed the puck, shot it RIGHT to the forward, who immediately put it in the goal behind him.

He also seems to give up some soft goals. Rynnas hasn't been great but he has significantly outplayed Campbell. All the people around me dreaded Campbell being in net because of how bad he's been playing.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Glennie and Stifler are two of the unkindest cuts left on the metaphorical body of the Stars' organization by Nieuwendyk and co, IMO. Nill can be as patient with Stifler as he can- and I'm happy that he is, but only because it displays the hallmark of a patient GM- but this is likely a lost cause.

Incinerate those scouting reports from 2009 and 2010, dig a deep ditch and bury the ashes from the incinerated reports, close the ditch, and then salt the earth over it so that nothing grows.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Glennie and Stifler are two of the unkindest cuts left on the metaphorical body of the Stars' organization by Nieuwendyk and co, IMO. Nill can be as patient with Stifler as he can- and I'm happy that he is, but only because it displays the hallmark of a patient GM- but this is likely a lost cause.

Incinerate those scouting reports from 2009 and 2010, dig a deep ditch and bury the ashes from the incinerated reports, close the ditch, and then salt the earth over it so that nothing grows.

200_s.gif

Primetimey*

When is his first start in the ECHL? It has been a few days so far..

marty182

Jul 19, 2013
Jack Campbell made 34 saves in 1st SO win vs Stockton (1-0). Campbell has 1,52 GAA and 94,4 SV% in 4 games in ECHL.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
i still believe in jack campbell...
for what it's worth...

Yeah pal. I'm not giving up on the guy. Not at all. He's still pretty young. Behind a little compared to where we all hoped he'd be by this point, I mean we figured he'd be owning the AHL and getting in a few decent games with the big boys, not playing in the ECHL, but all he's gotta do is what he's always done - win. He'll climb back up to the AHL in the near future and then it's up to him. No reason he can't find his game again. That's all he's gotta do. The rest will take care of itself.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yeah pal. I'm not giving up on the guy. Not at all. He's still pretty young. Behind a little compared to where we all hoped he'd be by this point, I mean we figured he'd be owning the AHL and getting in a few decent games with the big boys, not playing in the ECHL, but all he's gotta do is what he's always done - win. He'll climb back up to the AHL in the near future and then it's up to him. No reason he can't find his game again. That's all he's gotta do. The rest will take care of itself.

The talent's there, it's the rest that's missing. I don't know what Valley's been doing or saying to him, but it isn't working.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Desrosiers is doing very well in the A, which means bad news for Campbell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad