Prospect Info: Jack Campbell

prob22

Jan 14, 2011
This guy just keeps giving us reasons to think that he wont live up to to goalie expectations. Can we call this kid a bust yet. I dont think he has chance to make the Stars roster anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReverendAlBundy

Loungetown mortician
Feb 25, 2010
Fort Worth
In my mind he has a pretty steep hill to climb not to be a bust. We basically gave up James Neal to draft him, and not only being the first goalie, but the first American drafted puts a pretty heavy weight on his shoulders.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
In my mind he has a pretty steep hill to climb not to be a bust. We basically gave up James Neal to draft him, and not only being the first goalie, but the first American drafted puts a pretty heavy weight on his shoulders.
When you put it that way, which I dont think is 100% unfair, its pretty sad. As much as I like Goligoski, I do think taking a Dman with that pick rather than Campbell sends us on a totally different path on which it is fair to guess that we dont trade Neal. Of course on that path we may not have gotten Oleksiak either.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
But then again, we could have McNeill instead of Oleksiak.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
No...He hasn't even played a single game of professional hockey, all the junior teams he has been on have horrible defensively, as well as run and gun systems.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
The excuse that the teams he plays on are terrible defensively is beginning to wear thin. Shouldn't we be talking about how Campbell is elevating these teams with his own play and wallpapering over defensive shortcomings?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
For a goalie to elevate his junior team, there needs to be at least a decent defense and a system that allows that defense to operate in an efficient manner. Campbell hasn't had that in Windsor or Sault St Marie.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I didn't say carry, I said elevate.

To be fair, most of the people who actually watch says he does elevate the team. Every comment is pretty much he was the best guy on the ice, and it would have been significantly worse if he wasn't playing.

The Goalie Guild is a rejected goalie guy, and he was one of those people not phased by his stats.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Alright. But I can already hear people blaming the Cedar Park defense next year.

Saucechucker99

Feb 10, 2008
Way to early to call the guy a bust. He's still a junior goalie playing on a junior hockey team, most goalies are into their mid twenties by the time the develop. Look at guys like Jimmy Howard who is 27, guys like Price haven't even reached their full potential yet and he's 24. I think if he comes into the AHL next year and starts around half the games and does well he's going to be fine.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
To be fair, most of the people who actually watch says he does elevate the team. Every comment is pretty much he was the best guy on the ice, and it would have been significantly worse if he wasn't playing.

The Goalie Guild is a rejected goalie guy, and he was one of those people not phased by his stats.

Yeah .... I was still on my phone when I posted this.

Rejected should be respected.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Alright. But I can already hear people blaming the Cedar Park defense next year.

Just for example .... Nick Ebert was considered one of the best defensive prospects available in one of the best defensive drafts (2012) in a while as recently as last season. ISS still was listing him Top 10 at the beginning of the year.

He played with Campbell in Windsor, and this year he's struggled mightily. To start the year he just wasn't scoring, but his defensive stats looked ago. In the 2nd half of the season, his scoring has picked up, but his defensive play has fallen apart.

Once a top draft prospect, he's fallen to the 2nd and even 3rd round in some people's eyes (similar to Brandon Saad).

I've read several articles that claim his early season defensive play was nothing more than the Jack Campbell effect, and his play in his own zone is more accurate for the type of player he's been this year.

I will admit that I was a bit worried about Campbell. I think that's natural when most of us in Texas aren't getting to watch OHL games. When a guy like the Goalie Guild is endorsing him though ... I listen. That guy has a better opinion than my ability to read a stat line. Plus, scouts are obviously picking up on Campbell's effect on D prospects in this draft.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Love that you brought up Ebert, I didn't even think of that. Ebert was at least decent defensively when Campbell was still there, but now he's atrocious, seems like half the goals Windsor lets in can be traced back to him in some way.

OT but I used to think maybe we should take a flyer on him with one of our second rounders but no way now.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The Goalie Guild is probably the best place to go for anything goalie related, period.

If Ebert's there in the 3rd round, I'd risk it. Kind of a Kabanov type pick, I suppose.

Besides, if it's a Campbell effect, and we've got both of them... :naughty:

LohPilot

Jul 16, 2011
Richardson, Texas
This guy just keeps giving us reasons to think that he wont live up to to goalie expectations. Can we call this kid a bust yet. I dont think he has chance to make the Stars roster anytime soon.

I agree with the others! It is to early to make to tell! However, if we need a shutdown defenseman or that top forward and trade is the only course and that team needs a goalie prospect, Campbell should be available.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
When Ed Belfour turned 20, he just finished his season with the Winkler Flyers of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League. He finished with a GAA of 4.41 in 34 games.

I know Campbell is a high pick and people are expecting bigger things as he progresses, but like BigG44 says - watching him play and getting info from someone who knows what's up means more than just reading some stats online or in the paper. Like most are saying here though, it's too early to really give him a label other than "work in progress".

Besides, he gave me the blocker he used in this years WJrs so he CANT be a bust :yo:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad