Prospect Info: Jack Campbell

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I was probably one of the loudest opponents to that pick at the time, simply because I didn't believe Campbell had done anything to prove himself in the tournament-heavy schedule he played with the USA Hockey development team. I'm not sure anything he's done in the OHL or AHL changed my mind.

It's interesting, though,I seem to recall Nill saying in the summer he'd be given a shot to earn the backup role in Dallas. Goaltending in Dallas has been anything but consistent, yet Campbell is still pretty far down the pecking order this year to the point where he's in the ECHL - and his win-loss record compared to Rynnas's record in Texas is staggeringly poor.

For someone who hasn't watched Campbell this year, could you tell me what has or hasn't happened in his game for him to be in this position compared to where even Nill seemed to have him in the summer?

And another question, is there still some trade value that can be salvaged here or are we ready to write this one off and move on?

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Quotes from Nill via Shapiro

“Over the last two years, thanks to injuries, he just hasn’t played a lot of hockey,” Dallas general manager Jim Nill said. “He’s a young kid and he’s got to get playing some games. We looked and there is a great schedule (in Idaho), and we had a talk with him. We said, ‘Go down there for a week or two and get some playing time.’ It’s a chance he could play nine games in 14 or 15 days.”

Nill said Campbell was receptive to the plan and the goalie was “excited” to have a chance for more playing time. Dallas will play the situation “by ear” and there isn’t a definitive timeline for how long Campbell will spend in the ECHL.

http://wrongsideoftheredline.com/20...ound-pick-jack-campbell-assigned-to-the-echl/

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
I was probably one of the loudest opponents to that pick at the time, simply because I didn't believe Campbell had done anything to prove himself in the tournament-heavy schedule he played with the USA Hockey development team. I'm not sure anything he's done in the OHL or AHL changed my mind.

It's interesting, though,I seem to recall Nill saying in the summer he'd be given a shot to earn the backup role in Dallas. Goaltending in Dallas has been anything but consistent, yet Campbell is still pretty far down the pecking order this year to the point where he's in the ECHL - and his win-loss record compared to Rynnas's record in Texas is staggeringly poor.

For someone who hasn't watched Campbell this year, could you tell me what has or hasn't happened in his game for him to be in this position compared to where even Nill seemed to have him in the summer?

And another question, is there still some trade value that can be salvaged here or are we ready to write this one off and move on?
Probably equivalent to Glennie at this point... aka future considerations value

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Fowler
Gormley
Schwartz
Tarasenko
Bjugstad

All were talked about at one time with most wanting Gormley until Fowler fell. No one besides Bernhardt and Nieuwendyk wanted Campbell.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
From what I've been told, something more significant.

Very interesting. From my understanding, it was fairly common knowledge a few years back that the Stars were one of the teams who relied the least on interviews at the combines, psychological assessments, and things of that nature. Might a changed approach to scouting have caught this?

Primetimey*

This is more general managements fault than Campbells fault in my opinion. How is a prospects supposed to develop when you sign Nilstorp, Lindback, and Rynnas?

Some of you guys will say "Campbell needs to play better and show what he's got".. the dude went 12-4-1 or something crazy but yet Nilstorp still played every game. I would rather Texas plays .500 hockey and sneaks into the playoffs or just barely misses rather than playing Morin, Jeffrey, Mueller, Nilstorp and win a Calder Cup.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
This is more general managements fault than Campbells fault in my opinion. How is a prospects supposed to develop when you sign Nilstorp, Lindback, and Rynnas?

Some of you guys will say "Campbell needs to play better and show what he's got".. the dude went 12-4-1 or something crazy but yet Nilstorp still played every game. I would rather Texas plays .500 hockey and sneaks into the playoffs or just barely misses rather than playing Morin, Jeffrey, Mueller, Nilstorp and win a Calder Cup.

To be fair, he was injured a crap load during all of that.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site

I think alot of us hated that pick from the start, and not even just because Cam Fowler somehow magically fell to us. Campbell at that point was a guy who basically had an amazing WJC to his credit and little else. Really other than a great 16 games last year his numbers everywhere other than WJCs has been pretty damn pedestrian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad