Prospect Info: Jack Campbell

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I don't think he has a future here. How long do they wait for him to improve and improve consistency?

I think Joe's first round pick legacy will be Faksa as a third/fourth line center (not bad for a low first pick, not so good at 12) and three busts in Glennie, Campell, and Oleksiak.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I don't think he has a future here. How long do they wait for him to improve and improve consistency?

I think Joe's first round pick legacy will be Faksa as a third/fourth line center (not bad for a low first pick, not so good at 12) and three busts in Glennie, Campell, and Oleksiak.

I wouldn't label Oleksiak as a bust. Tbh I like his game and I feel like he'll have a decent career in the NHL. It just probably won't be with us. He's looked good in the games he played in this year, just wish he would get more of a shot.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, he could be this decade's John Erskine, who goes on to some other team and plays the 5-6 role that Jordie and JJ are playing here now.

You may recall that Dallas traded Erskine to the New York Islanders for Finnish Janne Niinimaa, but at the conclusion of the season, the Islanders did not re-sign Erskine, leaving him a free agent. He later drifted to the Caps, and played there a while, never accomplishing much, rarely playing a full season, with some minor league stints. But, he was valuable enough for them to keep him around for parts of 8 years until an injury got him out before last season.

We flipped Niinamna for Ribs in a lopsided deal for us. Hopefully, JO nets us something similar, either directly or indirectly, but I don't see him here, and think his value will a second round pick tops, probably a third. Everyone knows we are in a bind with 8 D, and Nill will be the one dealing from a position of weakness this time.......plus, he likes to do right by players and give them a shot if they have none here.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, I could see JC, JO, and even Nemeth, although I think he is better, as expansion bait, if the process moves along this year, which doesn't seem likely. I think each would see action on an expansion team.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Yes, I could see JC, JO, and even Nemeth, although I think he is better, as expansion bait, if the process moves along this year, which doesn't seem likely. I think each would see action on an expansion team.

Campbell barely has his foot in the AHL, what makes you think that he would be an NHLer on an expansion team?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I wouldn't label Oleksiak as a bust. Tbh I like his game and I feel like he'll have a decent career in the NHL. It just probably won't be with us. He's looked good in the games he played in this year, just wish he would get more of a shot.

He's possibly a bust out-right (to be determined) and for sure he is a bust for a 1st Round Pick. I don't think he's ever anything more than a 3rd pairing D. His agility is terrible (not speed, but quickness) and his decision-making is lacking.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
His agility is terrible (not speed, but quickness) and his decision-making is lacking.
Today 04:07 PM

Pretty much constitutes a bust....It vaguely reminds me of us acquiring Shawn Belle from the Wild. Draft reports on the kid and size, speed, etc. were outstanding, but he had no hockey sense or decision making whatsoever. Busted out in MN, here, and finally in COL and is playing in Germany.

The problem with big guys, and some fast guys, is their natural talents mask weaknesses at lower levels, but rarely at the NHL level. Ditto for scorers, who have an AHL quality shot just a tick below the NHL required shot.......

I think we have to accept that is about where JO is. JC, too.

I would love to hear the draft stories of the JN era again......how they decided to pick him. I don't think fans were upset, as we finally got a d, we picked him right on his ISS ranking, etc.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The only way Campbell was going to stick around if he had a good showing in the playoffs . He didn't so the Stars are going to cut their losses and let him walk. Maybe he becomes a good goaltender somewhere but it won't be with the Stars. He's 24 now and has been hurt or dissapointing in the AHL pretty much all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad