Jack Campbell - a legit starter or hot streak?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Campbell is legit. Will be the starter for the Leafs in the playoffs.

Anderson days in Toronto are done. He won't be back next year.

As much as I like Freddie I think you're right. He will cost too much to bring back and Campbell is signed until the end of next year. We need to find an average to slightly above average goalie that comes in at or under Andersen's current salary.

What cannot happen is a Campbell/Hutchison 1/2. Campbell playing 60 games is a lot different than playing 25-30 games, and Hutch cannot carry a 20+ game workload.

A 50/30 split (Campbell/new goalie) seems ideal.

Reactions: DJB

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Think we're going to need a larger sample of games to answer this question. and more than one season.

It is no more fair to say "no" after a poor 4 game stretch than it was to say "yes" after the streak he had.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Think we're going to need a larger sample of games to answer this question. and more than one season.

It is no more fair to say "no" after a poor 4 game stretch than it was to say "yes" after the streak he had.
Except he's been a backup his whole career so it's not a 4 game streak. The hot streak was the outlier.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Except he's been a backup his whole career so it's not a 4 game streak. The hot streak was the outlier.

Yup. Although good goalies can bloom later in their careers. It's pretty voodoo. He has a chance to be a starter or out of the league like a Hammond.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
The guys 29 years old and has been a backup his entire career. The odds of him becoming a good starter at this age are pretty remote imo. He had a hot streak which we’ve seen from lots of back ups over the years.

I won't pretend that I have been following his career closely, but judging from his stats it looks like he has been outperforming Quick, or at the worst hanging in with him while he was with the Kings.

And he has a .917% in 78 games, not too shabby.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Legit starter except for short side shots coming down the right wing :sarcasm: he's been bad the last few games. Seems to play well overall but I don't think I've seen him make a save on someone coming down his right wing yet. 2 last night, 1 more against Winnipeg the game before, exact same shot from the exact same spot.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I won't pretend that I have been following his career closely, but judging from his stats it looks like he has been outperforming Quick, or at the worst hanging in with him while he was with the Kings.

Sure. As a backup. Backups generally play the weaker teams and those 78 games are spread out over 5 or so seasons. He’s never been a starter or even a 1B so we have no idea what his stats would be if he had to play 40-50 games. But we do have a lot of data that shows that career back ups rarely become starters at 29 years of age. The odds are extremely low. The obvious exception is Tim Thomas but he’s definitely not the norm.

Last edited:

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
We have to go with Rittich going forward, who is a proven starter, over trying to keep the prince wonder boy thing going.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I think Louie Domingue held the record for straight wins for the Bolts set a couple years ago...that was with Vasy as the starter...back ups are backups. If Toronto thinks they got some star they are completely going to be disappointed. Not new though.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
But his stats as a backup goalie amassed to a .917 sv% so the only outlier was how many games he played, not the quality of performance.

There's still not a large enough sample size to say if this is just a bad streak or he's incapable of handling a larger workload cuz his stats were always impressive, not just as a starter

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
his career save % is .917, that’s the definition of a starter quality goalie

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017

every kings backup goalie performed quick.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad