Prospect Info: J.T. Miller

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
If we trade Cally, why not have the return be prospects/picks and plug Miller on a line w Richards and Hags? Could even have beaver play the wing like earlier in the season.

Punxrocknyc19*

Because he'd be in a role he's not suited for. He's not smart with the puck. At least not yet. Playing 10 mins a game at even strength for a playoff push doesn't really do anybody any favors.

I like our 4th line. Don't change it. With a Richards buyout and Callahan trade likely, I'd keep Miller in Hartford and let him compete for top-6 next season

with him scoring in the minors, if callahan is traded, why not just stick Miller in his spot. give him 2 or 3rd line legit minutes. give him PP time.. giving him 4th line minutes is not really gonna prove that he is 100% ready

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Three years ago,Gare Joyce was writing the NHL Draft articles for ESPN.com. He spoke to a scout after Miller's performance at the U18.

Jonathan Miller, U.S.

When we last looked at the draft's top prospects, we were getting some negative feedback on Miller and we dropped him from our Top 50. Looks like we'll have to readjust that after this tournament.

"The best U.S. forward late in the season ... He made the transition to the big ice surface look easy," said one scout. "[He] used his wingers, read the play. Made his case for being a top-20 player (in this class). The U.S. has a lot of players whose upside in the league would be third- and fourth-line but Miller looks like he could be a second-line center for a winning team down the line."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nhl...chime-top-performers-u-18-world-championships

The Rangers need his size in the middle playing in the top 9. Next season. 3rd line center. Go from there.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Miller had a bit of a dissapointing WJC where he played on the wing. He wasn't extremely strong in the OHL either.

I thought he was awsome before that, I was really impress with his play in the NHL last season -- from a prospects point of view. I don't care at all if a player that young makes misstakes, all that matters is that they can make good plays. And JT Miller made a ton of strong plays taking the puck to the net. I loved that he had the guts to try it, too much at times for sure but again, the opposite is a risk for a prospect what he did was only positive looking ahead.

I think he has come along real well lately and when he played in the NHL, I do NOT think he was a top 12 forward for us. I think he was a top 6-8 forward more or less every game. The concistensy might not be there to a 100%, but I definitely think he should play down the road. This will be a log season for everyone. We will need him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'd rather put Fast in Cally's spot. Miller is better at center.

Unless the Kreider-Step-Nash unit step up, I would shake up the lineup.

Maybe try something like:
BR-Miller-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-Zucc
Hagelin-Step-Callahan
Boyle-Moore-Pouliot

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Third line is the perfect place to incubate a rookie with top six-potential. It limits his responsibilities and gives the third line an offensive element. The Rangers should pencil him in on the third line and go to work this off-season with that in mind. The question becomes, what do with Brassard/Richards.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Miller has a ton of skill. He's more of a Kesler type than a Bergeron or Dubinsky.

Miller has been dominant at the best-on-bests from U17-U20s. He'll be the first guy plugged in if somebody gets hurt

Kesler is among the best 2way Cs... Miller has made little to no progress defensively in the last 2 years... more of a Brassard, maybe, but I don't know if he's more of playmaker than a shooter ATP.

shoves

Free orangejuice?
Nov 29, 2011
I think he should get a lot of chances next year. Wont even bugde to replace Brassard with him. Im no Brass fan tho.

But i dont think he hurts us when he plays, and he gets slightly better every game. If we put some real trust and patience on his table, he might just repay us with a lot of improvement. Our choices now can repay us with a top-line center in some years.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Third line is the perfect place to incubate a rookie with top six-potential. It limits his responsibilities and gives the third line an offensive element. The Rangers should pencil him in on the third line and go to work this off-season with that in mind. The question becomes, what do with Brassard/Richards.

If you pencil in Miller as 3C, I think Brad's amnesty and a Brass resigning are pretty set. Unless you cut them both loose and overpay for Stastny.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
If you pencil in Miller as 3C, I think Brad's amnesty and a Brass resigning are pretty set. Unless you cut them both loose and overpay for Stastny.

Raises the question of whether you feel comfortable with Brassard at 2C when you don't have an elite 1C.

Stepan
Brassard
Miller
Moore

Stepan and Miller have potential to be a very strong 1C/2C combo in a few years, but next year the team might look awfully mediocre down the middle.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Raises the question of whether you feel comfortable with Brassard at 2C when you don't have an elite 1C.

Stepan
Brassard
Miller
Moore

Stepan and Miller have potential to be a very strong 1C/2C combo in a few years, but next year the team might look awfully mediocre down the middle.

Of course. Would take Stastny on a year by year deal until Miller is ready to take that step, but that's not realistic. I just don't think there's a better FA option that bringing back Brass (when you consider more than just next year). I guess I should disclose that I have the thought of locking up Girardi this year, letting Cally and Richards go, then extending Staal. As been said time and time again here, you need production from young cheap talent to go along with the established players/contracts in order to be very successful. Without a true 1C a possibility this offseason, I think the best bet is to really aim for 2-3 years from now and go all in there.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Could u see Berglund for Cally happening?

St Louis needs centers, they won't trade Berglund unless it's an upgrade.

He's also a **** skater and way too streaky for my liking. I'd almost rather Brassard over him.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
St Louis needs centers, they won't trade Berglund unless it's an upgrade.

He's also a **** skater and way too streaky for my liking. I'd almost rather Brassard over him.

Hmmm... Brassard isn't bad IMO... people says he;s dumb and has no heart... I see a pretty hard-working 2C... I expect him to be re-signed, the Berglund idea was for the 3c spot. we'll need a very good 3rd line C, and C in general seems like the most important thing... we have a 2 2Cs, a 4C and a kid who, as good as he's been in the AHL, can't hold down 4C in the NHL... are we just gonna hedge our bets and hope he's ready by next season?

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
I don't St Louis a good fit for Cally. They don't really need him. I can see Blues chasing Ryan Miller.

doesn't fit them?

St Louis has a bunch of Callys..

they are physical, gritty, 2way team.. Cally's a player all teams need and want, he fits like a glove..

I am just dying callahan wants to play for torts again and we can somehow trade him to Van for Kesler..

but i can see a cally for Berglund and Stewart..

KreiMeARiver*

Stepan
Brassard
Miller
Moore

I mean, I agree and disagree. I think Brassard is a very solid 2C. He and Zucc have been putting up 2nd line points on the 3rd line. Our "3rd" line is arguably better than our second line.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
doesn't fit them?

St Louis has a bunch of Callys..

they are physical, gritty, 2way team.. Cally's a player all teams need and want, he fits like a glove..

I am just dying callahan wants to play for torts again and we can somehow trade him to Van for Kesler..

but i can see a cally for Berglund and Stewart..

And that's the point, I think. For St. Louis, he's redundant to some degree. He's not a need.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I like Miller alot. I think he will be a solid player for us soon.

3 goals in the last 16 games after notching 7 goals in 8 games.

He's racking up the same amt of pts which is very good, but I'd like to see a little more balance between goals and assists (slanting towards assists as he is a center)

nit picking at this point really.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Buy out Richards. If Stastny is signed then Stepan would be our 2C and maybe Brassard would be traded? If not I guess we go with Step Brass and JT to start the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad