Friedman: J Schmaltz possibly available

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
When I think Schmaltz, I am thinking a very interesting young C from Chicago. Jordan..... he's a 24 year old D-man who has done nothing to date - right? I mean, I know nothing about him or his talent level, but many of the talked about returns look..... high.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Seriously, I really hope Schmaltz is traded, if just for his own benefit. He is an NHL proven PMD, with top 4 potential. I am not suggesting that that ceiling is a lock, but I do think it is very likely. He is never going to achieve that potential in St. Louis, as he is 24 and behind Pietrangelo (28) and Parayko (24) on the depth chart with virtually no chance of surpassing either. He will likely languish in St. Louis on the 3rd pairing for the rest of his career, if he stays, which would be a waste of his potential. I would love to see him flourish on another team, (not in our division!), where he would have the opportunity to climb in to the top 4. I'm thinking NJ, Edmonton, Toronto, Vancouver, Buffalo or Detroit.

Last edited:

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Vancouver probably isn't a fit. Vanek as a base won't work. Gudbranson won't work. The only thing we can offer is a guy like Granlund or Gaunce.
There was turmoil when we traded a 4th for Pouliot, simply because we traded a pick. I don't see us trading any picks for Schmaltz. We probably don't even have room (Tanev, Stecher, Guddy), as I don't think Schmaltz will beat out Stecher or Tanev and he probably won't take Guddy's spot, especially when he makes what he makes next year.

Virtanen is going nowhere, the ask would be higher than Schmaltz I think, whether that's rational or not.

I feel like Buffalo (something around Baptiste) could be a fit.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think he'll either get traded at the deadline for a rental or at the draft for a similar-aged prospect that's struggling to crack their NHL squad. If he's on the team come October, I can't see him fetching much more than 2nd/3rd. Teams know that he'll be sent down through waivers because St. Louis doesn't have any other option unless they want to carry 8 defensemen.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Buffalo definitely should be in on this type of player that is good in the AHL but stuck behind a decent D corp on the big team. Our D is pathetic, Bogosian is injured more than 50% of the time, Bealieu is trash, McCabe and Antipin should be left to the bottom 6/7th defenceman rotation....We essentially have two top4 places up for grabs even if Guhle is coming up next year and can maybe fill one of these.

Rasmus Andersson, Dante Fabbro, Jake Bean, Roland McKeown, Jordan Schmaltz, Jeremy Lauzon, Jakub Zboril, Gabriel Carlsson are all names we could look at to see what the acquisition cost is and what scouts measure their upside as. I guess Schmaltz would be on the cheaper side in that group and if our scouts think he can realistically play in the top4 in the NHL we would likely try to get him considering we are struggling more at RD than LD.

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
I personally think its silly that the kid hasn't gotten an opportunity in St Louis. 3rd pairing with pp minutes seems like a perfect opportunity for him IMO.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I personally think its silly that the kid hasn't gotten an opportunity in St Louis. 3rd pairing with pp minutes seems like a perfect opportunity for him IMO.
I mean if you want him out there instead of Parayko, Dunn, or Pietrangelo, you're insane. He's been behind Shattenkirk for the last two years. The team would rather have a veteran presence on the back end, especially with Dunn holding down the left side third pairing defenseman right now.

Reactions: simon in canada

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Well until halfway through the season last year we had Parayko-Pietro and shatty. No room, after the trade he played a bit. The reason that he has gotten much of a shot this year has to do with Vince Dunn. The kid has been incredible on the left side. He's been paired with Bort too due to most of our team lacking physicality in assuming. Our blue line in general is big but Eddy is the only one with a mean streak aside from Borts.

Fwiw Gunnarsson did not look bad this year earlier playing with Pietro for a bit and now he is our 7th d man. Dunn has been getting a lot of ice time mostly with Bort, some with Pietro in the third or when we need to generate offense. Regardless of my love affair with Vince Dunn the point still is that we legitimately have too many quality dmen that we cannot play them all.

Reactions: simon in canada

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I think him, Sammy Blais, and a roster player like Gunnarson would be a good offer for someone.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Nyquist or Tatar for Schmaltz + 2nd?
It sounds petty, but we can't give up our 2018 2nd. We can't be waiting until the 3rd round to select. Tatar doesn't interest me, as an undersized LHS LW with 3 more years of term. Nyquist would be an excellent addition, however. Would you accept Schmaltz and a 2018 3rd, or a 2019 2nd for Nyquist? Perhaps another minor prospect?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
It sounds petty, but we can't give up our 2018 2nd. We can't be waiting until the 3rd round to select. Tatar doesn't interest me, as an undersized LHS LW with 3 more years of term. Nyquist would be an excellent addition, however. Would you accept Schmaltz and a 2018 3rd, or a 2019 2nd for Nyquist? Perhaps another minor prospect?
Why can't you wait until 3rd round? You are in win now mode and have decent prospects in the pipe.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
True. Some people like to call it "sound asset management". Or perhaps "responsible organizational development". I suppose it depends on your perspective.
Pens are doing quite well without sound asset management.
2014 - No 2, 3
2015 - No 1, 3, 4
2016 - No 1, 7 (but two 2nds)
2017 - No 1, 4

It's rare that teams trade away both 1st and 2nd in a draft, but it happens and some team willing to risk may get rewarded with cups... And the Pens of that time had nowhere near the quality of prospects St Louis does now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad