Friedman: J Schmaltz possibly available

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
We were in win now mode for like the last 5+ years. We underwent a bit of a retool and now I'd say we are a year or two out of being serious serious contenders. We haven't really selected before the 20th pick since Schwartz/Tarasenko unless I'm missing someone.

That is very reasonable. I would argue, however, that anyone you would draft in the second round of the 2018 or 2019 draft isn't likely to help you win when your window re-opens (apart from maybe being deadline trade fodder). You might think that Nyquist isn't the right player to target, but you can certainly afford to move 2nd round picks between now and your next window.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Players selected in the 2012 draft that still haven't been in the NHL, hold very little NHL trade value. Hey good luck to him, maybe some team takes him a a minor part in a deal and gives him a better opportunity that the Blues.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Blues fans need to explain why some have his value so high. 9 games at the age of 24? You can only use he was a first rounder for so long

He's starting to fall into the Derrick Pouliot 3rd/4th round pick area because of his age and no longer being a grade A prospect. Being stuck behind others makes no difference to other teams once you hit waiver time. They could probably get a 3rd today but come the summer or fall, he's a 4th at the most.

Their best bet if he's not in their immediate plans is to package him with another prospect for a top six player. Whether it's a Nyquist or someone else, I think you'd get more value that way. With Nyquist as an example, it's at least a 2nd but might be another prospect. I'm sure Detroit would be interested in a Kyrou or even a Kaspick.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Ah, I forgot about Gunnarsson.

Just curious, is it purely a number games with Schmaltz or is it a mix between that and not gaining Yeo's trust? I know for the Avs Bigras had a bit of trouble transitioning to the NHL and didn't warrant enough for Bednar to trust him.
I think it's mostly a roster composition issue at the moment. One of Dunn or Schmaltz was going to make the team this season with the other six defensemen already set in stone. Dunn's easily the more dynamic of the two, and he ultimately won the job. Bortuzzo and Gunnarsson have played well for the Blues, and Bortuzzo is the sort of physical guy who's traditionally paired with a slightly undersized defenseman like Dunn to help balance the pairing, so it made a lot of sense to send Schmaltz back down and let him play.

I think Schmaltz is good enough to play in the NHL right now in a bottom pairing role, with middle pairing upside that's basically tied to the consistency of his play at the NHL level. I think his game is too well-rounded to be a career AHLer. The flip side is that he's not really outstanding at anything, so his usefulness in any given role is more likely to be defined more by what a defense is lacking around him than it is by him taking jobs away from others.

Once he has some time to adapt, I think he will probably be one of those solid depth guys who is quietly functional in most any role, but rarely your first choice for any of them. How valuable that is will depend on what's ahead of him on the depth chart.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
He's starting to fall into the Derrick Pouliot 3rd/4th round pick area because of his age and no longer being a grade A prospect. Being stuck behind others makes no difference to other teams once you hit waiver time. They could probably get a 3rd today but come the summer or fall, he's a 4th at the most.

Their best bet if he's not in their immediate plans is to package him with another prospect for a top six player. Whether it's a Nyquist or someone else, I think you'd get more value that way. With Nyquist as an example, it's at least a 2nd but might be another prospect. I'm sure Detroit would be interested in a Kyrou or even a Kaspick.

That's quiet a range.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I definitely see Gunnarsson getting moved at/before the TDL, and I’m okay with moving Schmaltz as well in the right deal. If both do get moved though, I don’t see Army not bringing in another guy to fill that 7D role.

Personally, I’d rather just trade Gunnarsson, and like others said, put Schmaltz with JBo when Dunn is ready for 2nd pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad