Confirmed with Link: Ivan Telegin assigned to CSKA Moscow of the KHL

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
"assigning" the player to the KHL. The tweet reads like all the "assignments" to the AHL, or ECHL. I've never seen an "assignment" like this to the the K during the season, could he be recalled to the Jets at any point, is this a three way agreement between the Jets/Telegin/CSKA?

happens quite often. jets have done it themselves actually. fredrik pettersson was assigned to khl for 2011-12 season.

This also pretty much guarantees that Telegin will never get called up to the NHL due to the length of a flight. If he was in St. John's at least he would have the chance to be called up if there was an injury and he was working hard.

players assigned to european leagues are assigned for the year. cannot be recalled.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Yeah sorry for sounding pissy, but it just seemed like a sob story was being created, which has as little foundation as calling him a 'spoiled child'. I mean pro hockey as a career...incredible privilege. Even minor league. Actually I think even having a decent pay doing something you like nowadays, is an incredible, amazing privilege.

I surmise if there was a good reason for him leaving...family issues, depression, whatever, he should have talked to TNSE and he would have been granted leave. It's hard, especially if it's something sensitive or embarrassing. But still you gotta try. Why not report to the Ice Caps? What's the issue? Is there something going on other than just not enjoying getting sent back down?

But he either didn't have a good reason or didn't communicate it, resulting in the suspension without pay. That's entirely on him, and is not the behaviour a good employee should demonstrate, and just not....honest in general, IMHO, regardless of your age. That bothers me on 'moral compass' level, but also as a fan because it negatively impacts our local sports organization, which I derive immense enjoyment from. It impacts me! :) We just can't have guys doing stuff like this. :soap:

Repeat, this is nothing like the Burmistrov situation. Kudos to him and he's doing well.

Not a big fan of the Kovalchuk situation for that matter.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Great post Turbofan - I appreciate the difficulty in moving to a new environment, but if you signed a contract, honour it. This is coming from a huge Telegin fan, who followed him in the OHL and was looking forward to seeing him work through the ranks.

Also: there's no way that the NHL was going to allow a precedent to be set - I'm sure they weren't going to allow Telegin to simply play in the KHL until some sort of arrangement was made that didn't violate the MOU the NHL and KHL have in place.

Sad situation - not handled very well. Also agree that the situation is different than the Burmi situation - Jets only held his rights. As an RFA, he was free to pursue a spot in the KHL.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
When does the KHL regular season and playoffs end? I thought it usually ended earlier than here. I'm curious how the Olympics affect this. Could Telegin play for the IceCaps when the KHL season is over (if he'd be willing to)?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
When does the KHL regular season and playoffs end? I thought it usually ended earlier than here. I'm curious how the Olympics affect this. Could Telegin play for the IceCaps when the KHL season is over (if he'd be willing to)?

Regular season ends early March. Not sure how long the playoffs go.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I actually think your going to see this more often.

NHL teams can no longer dismiss the KHL. The quality of play is above AHL level, and it offerse a quality of life (for russian/local players) generally considerably better then AHL.

I don't think GM's and NHL teams are in a position to be heavy handed with their Russian prospects anymore and have to acknowledge that the KHL is a very real and even reasonable alternative.

That being said, I would assume this understanding would also considerably lower the perceived value of Russian/KHL local players.

I expect to continue seeing high quality russian players drfted later, but I also expect to see more nhl teams willingly "loan" their russian/eastern players to KHL teams as opposed to "forcing" them to the A.

At the very least the emergence of the KHL has added an interesting dimension to the international hockey landscape.

Going forward i think you see GM's either take russian players and accept/embrace that they won't be developing in the A, or you just see them avoid them completely. I think the era of rightous indignation over "doing whats right" is probably coming to an end.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think the era of rightous indignation over "doing whats right" is probably coming to an end.

You mean: honouring a contract you signed? :sarcasm:

I agree with many / most of your points (especially the part about the KHL being a reasonable alternative, and great for the nationals), but the whole "I'm going to ignore my contractual obligations thing" sticks in my craw. If you didn't understand that there may be a certain path you might have to take to get to the NHL, then don't sign your ELC contract and accept the monies offered. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad