Confirmed with Link: Ivan Telegin assigned to CSKA Moscow of the KHL

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
So Telegin refused to report to St. John's in a show of support for Burmistrov who wanted Noel gone. Have I got that right? ;)

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what YWGinYYZ said the other day.

And we all know what he says is never taken out of context or misappropriated. Though he can be kind of negative with regards to Chevy sometimes...

:laugh:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Players are under contract a team and need to follow their orders.

If a team doesnt want you to play there, then you need to deal with that, and go where you are requested too.

Not act like a spoiled child.

You haven't a clue of the details of Telegin's situation. Sometimes teams need to be flexible to enhance the value of an asset. I've had the feeling that Chevy has been so in both the case of Burmistrov and Telegin.

jetkarma*

You haven't a clue of the details of Telegin's situation. Sometimes teams need to be flexible to enhance the value of an asset. I've had the feeling that Chevy has been so in both the case of Burmistrov and Telegin.

They both need to be playing , maybe not the ideal location , but it beats not playing at all. Keeps things moving , allows for development and provides more future options.

Telegin should have been playing all along , but tha tis in the past , this is at least a positive step.

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
Telegin was decent but not great as a rookie,kid needed size,thought he was doing ok here,till the concussion.Was actually looking forward to seeing what he bring with the Icecaps this year,but since he clearly did not wanna report here,i could not care less now.I guess Russians don't like the Rock,Brum was not fond of here either lol

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what YWGinYYZ said the other day.

And we all know what he says is never taken out of context or misappropriated. Though he can be kind of negative with regards to Chevy sometimes...

:rant:

I'm taking my football and going home now. :D

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
They both need to be playing , maybe not the ideal location , but it beats not playing at all. Keeps things moving , allows for development and provides more future options.

Telegin should have been playing all along , but tha tis in the past , this is at least a positive step.

I am sort of miffed that he pretty much got what he wanted, with few repercussions. Well, I guess he didn't get to play hockey for a couple of months.

But this benefits him first, the KHL second, and us...last.

Draft accordingly, as someone said. :(

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
"assigning" the player to the KHL. The tweet reads like all the "assignments" to the AHL, or ECHL. I've never seen an "assignment" like this to the the K during the season, could he be recalled to the Jets at any point, is this a three way agreement between the Jets/Telegin/CSKA?

European assignments do happen on occassion. Any assignemnt outside the AHL must be with the players consent (outside junior eligible players)

Martins Karsums was assigned to the KHL a few seasons ago by Tampa. He was playing in the AHL at the time. Never seen again this side of the pond. Melart was assigned to the KHL this season. A columbus prospect in the AHL.

I doubt we hear from Telegin again.

jetkarma*

European assignments do happen on occassion. Any assignemnt outside the AHL must be with the players consent (outside junior eligible players)

Martins Karsums was assigned to the KHL a few seasons ago by Tampa. He was playing in the AHL at the time. Never seen again this side of the pond. Melart was assigned to the KHL this season. A columbus prospect in the AHL.

I doubt we hear from Telegin again.

We hear his name as a minor part of a trade I expect.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Meh, they weren't gonna hang on to him forever. I doubt he was going to be convinced to come back. Hopefully he succeeds in the KHL, I doubt we'll see him in the NHL, given that he actually did break contract.

Stranger things have happened, though.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I'm in a line of business and living in a rural part of Manitoba where I am dealing with a lot of Russians* on a (at least) weekly basis. I also play competitive sports against a couple of all Russian teams, and I can say with authority that they are a completely different breed. There is something so incredibly polarizing about the differences between their culture and ours, they (our cultures, not their people themselves) are very, very incompatible. It goes so extremely deep - and as odd as it sounds - as self-centered and arrogant as they seem to us, I'm sure we seem the same way to them.

I've often thought that I'd just rather not have any Russians on our team. But that's poor. I think that's actually a really ****** attitude, and could hurt us if we were to miss out of some great talent because of it.

I think the thing that needs to happen (and what I have found to work in my encounters) is to be the first one to try and meet them in the middle, but not go so far that you go more than your half way.

I think what Coach Maurice had to say about it today might be really helpful in bridging any perceived gaps between Russian players and TNSE (present or future). That could be a very big gesture, and could be a significant part of placating guys like Burmistrov or Telegin, and helping them find their way back into the fold. Pride is huge for Russians, and this lets them come back without looking like the goats, but also without letting them walk all over us.

*By "Russians" I mean people who grew up in Russia and have now immigrated here.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm in a line of business and living in a rural part of Manitoba where I am dealing with a lot of Russians* on a (at least) weekly basis. I also play competitive sports against a couple of all Russian teams, and I can say with authority that they are a completely different breed. There is something so incredibly polarizing about the differences between their culture and ours, they (our cultures, not their people themselves) are very, very incompatible. It goes so extremely deep - and as odd as it sounds - as self-centered and arrogant as they seem to us, I'm sure we seem the same way to them.

I've often thought that I'd just rather not have any Russians on our team. But that's poor. I think that's actually a really ****** attitude, and could hurt us if we were to miss out of some great talent because of it.

I think the thing that needs to happen (and what I have found to work in my encounters) is to be the first one to try and meet them in the middle, but not go so far that you go more than your half way.

I think what Coach Maurice had to say about it today might be really helpful in bridging any perceived gaps between Russian players and TNSE (present or future). That could be a very big gesture, and could be a significant part of placating guys like Burmistrov or Telegin, and helping them find their way back into the fold. Pride is huge for Russians, and this lets them come back without looking like the goats, but also without letting them walk all over us.

*By "Russians" I mean people who grew up in Russia and have now immigrated here.

Interesting post.

What Maurice said about the KHL and Russia was, IMO, the most interesting part of what he said.

I actually was a little amazed about what he said: Do North-Americans really not know how incredibly different russian culture is?

How bizarre it would be for you people to go to Russia at the age of 16 and try to be a professional athlete over there?

North Americans sometimes maybe forget that there are many cultures and countries in the world besides their own and especially, besides their own language. Maybe you are a little too spoiled with the ability to speak your own language pretty much in every country in the world?

I don't know, it's pretty hard to me to imagine you could just "forget" that someone may have a hard time, coming from another culture, trying to live a good life in your country. Especially with friends, people you're comfortable with and that understand your problems, fears and maybe your loneliness. Maybe it's because I'm European and I'm used to have so many different cultures and languages, just across the boarder. And behind every boarder, it's another one. But one thing I know: The former Soviet area is probably the one that has the most cultural differences to ours, British, French, Italian, Spanish etc.

I thought, after so many years with Russian players in the league, those problems would be common and people knew how to deal with them.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
So Telegin refused to report to St. John's in a show of support for Burmistrov who wanted Noel gone. Have I got that right? ;)

I'll take conspiracy theories for $1000, Alex!

Answer is: The Jets reassign Telegin to CSKA Moscow.

What is: Telegin refused to report to St. John's in a show of support for Burmistrov who wanted Noel gone.

Probably a little too far fetched, but there's something going on with our Russian prospects, IMO.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Players are under contract a team and need to follow their orders.

If a team doesnt want you to play there, then you need to deal with that, and go where you are requested too.

Not act like a spoiled child.

Spoiled child? This is a kid that, in the long run, wants to play in the NHL. This is a kid that left his friends and family at 16 to pursue that dream. I'm sorry but it's so easy for us to say he's spoiled and criticize him when we haven't had to do anything remotely similar to that in our life. Imagine that the KHL was the best league in the world and the best way to get there was to enter lesser leagues in Russia and to work your way up when you were 16. Seriously imagine yourself in high school uprooting yourself, leaving everything and everyone you know and going to a foreign land where you don't know anybody and nobody speaks your language (I know that many people in Russia speak English, but he came to a place where nobody spoke his language and he probably spoke broken English) to pursue your dream. I can't imagine it would be easy. People are so hung up on what's best for their team sometimes that they don't seem to care what's best for the individuals playing the game.

I hold absolutely no contempt for Russian players who want to play in a better league and make better money while being closer to home. Honestly good for him, I hope he's happy and I hope he develops enough to be able to pursue his dream of making the NHL.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Spoiled child? This is a kid that, in the long run, wants to play in the NHL. This is a kid that left his friends and family at 16 to pursue that dream. I'm sorry but it's so easy for us to say he's spoiled and criticize him when we haven't had to do anything remotely similar to that in our life. Imagine that the KHL was the best league in the world and the best way to get there was to enter lesser leagues in Russia and to work your way up when you were 16. Seriously imagine yourself in high school uprooting yourself, leaving everything and everyone you know and going to a foreign land where you don't know anybody and nobody speaks your language (I know that many people in Russia speak English, but he came to a place where nobody spoke his language and he probably spoke broken English) to pursue your dream. I can't imagine it would be easy. People are so hung up on what's best for their team sometimes that they don't seem to care what's best for the individuals playing the game.

I hold absolutely no contempt for Russian players who want to play in a better league and make better money while being closer to home. Honestly good for him, I hope he's happy and I hope he develops enough to be able to pursue his dream of making the NHL.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Interesting post.

What Maurice said about the KHL and Russia was, IMO, the most interesting part of what he said.

I actually was a little amazed about what he said: Do North-Americans really not know how incredibly different russian culture is?

How bizarre it would be for you people to go to Russia at the age of 16 and try to be a professional athlete over there?

North Americans sometimes maybe forget that there are many cultures and countries in the world besides their own and especially, besides their own language. Maybe you are a little too spoiled with the ability to speak your own language pretty much in every country in the world?

I don't know, it's pretty hard to me to imagine you could just "forget" that someone may have a hard time, coming from another culture, trying to live a good life in your country. Especially with friends, people you're comfortable with and that understand your problems, fears and maybe your loneliness. Maybe it's because I'm European and I'm used to have so many different cultures and languages, just across the boarder. And behind every boarder, it's another one. But one thing I know: The former Soviet area is probably the one that has the most cultural differences to ours, British, French, Italian, Spanish etc.

I thought, after so many years with Russian players in the league, those problems would be common and people knew how to deal with them.

I like this post. One would think Canadians would have slightly more .. empathy/understanding (not sure what word is best) with this type of situation. In my own situation - a Canadian who moved to the US almost 13 years ago, the adjustment was still pretty big. I can't imagine what it is for someone with a different language and culture.

I was very impressed with Maurice's comments on this subject today.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I like this post. One would think Canadians would have slightly more .. empathy/understanding (not sure what word is best) with this type of situation. In my own situation - a Canadian who moved to the US almost 13 years ago, the adjustment was still pretty big. I can't imagine what it is for someone with a different language and culture.

I was very impressed with Maurice's comments on this subject today.

When I was 12, my brother, mother and me moved to Switzerland, French part of Switzerland. It was only 500 km but a whole different world. I spoke about 20 sentences French on my first day in my new school and knew nobody. The first two years had been very, very hard.

Going from Russia to North-America probably is WAY harder than this.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I dont see this having much to do withTelegin. I think itis a message to Burmistrov, and the first step in getting him back.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Where is this 'moving away at 16' story coming from? As far as I can tell he was drafted at age 18, and up until then he played for Metallurg Novo. Guy is going to be 22 years old now. Was given an ELC contract in 2011-2012, so say making 90k a year at the age of 20...not to shabby, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a decent support network in place for these guys.

When I was a kid and my extended family came over, there was our 3 families (cousins, aunts, uncles) living upstairs of an old restaurant. At 20 years old I was making minimum wage in said restaurant, earning money to go to school. Never took organized sports, much less hockey, as if my parents could afford that. At twice that age, I still don't make 90k a year.

Anyways, no sob story here really because I'm doing ok. But I don't like anyone walking out of their job regardless if they are 16 or 21 or 60, without good reason and making sure you at least make an attempt to 'make things right' with your employer first. And so far I haven't heard any good reason.

Kudos to Burmistrov for pursuing other opportunities once his obligations were met. Really. Telegin not really IMHO, unless I hear a better version of his story.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Where is this 'moving away at 16' story coming from? As far as I can tell he was drafted at age 18, and up until then he played for Metallurg Novo. Guy is going to be 22 years old now. Was given an ELC contract in 2011-2012, so say making 90k a year at the age of 20...not to shabby, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a decent support network in place for these guys.

When I was a kid and my extended family came over, there was like our 3 families (cousins, aunts, uncles) living upstairs of an old restaurant. At 20 years old I was making minimum wage in said restaurant, earning money to go to school. Never took organized sports, much less hockey, as if my parents could afford that. At twice that age, I still don't make 90k a year.

Anyways, no sob story here really because I'm doing ok. But I don't like anyone walking out of their job regardless if they are 16 or 21 or 60, without good reason and making sure you at least make an attempt to 'make things right' with your employer first. And so far I haven't heard any good reason.

Kudos to Burmistrov for pursuing other opportunities once his obligations were met. Really. Telegin not really IMHO, unless I hear a better version of his story.

He played a season in Saginaw when he was 17 prior to being drafted. So he came at 17, not 16, my bad.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wasn't only talking about Telegin. Generally about young russians playing in the CHL already.

Your point is a good one.....I know men in there late 20's and early 30's that can't hack it in the KHL because of exactly what your are talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad