Rumor: Ivan Provorov on the trade block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
He didn’t want to wear a rainbow shirt.

He made no degrading or negative statement whatsoever. I give him credit for being respectful while sticking to his morals whether I agree with him or not.

Other guys may not like it, but they just fall in lockstep to avoid the aggravation. IP at least showed a little backbone while not demeaning anyone.
What does the rainbow shirt signify. What about it makes him uncomfortable. Im sure we can figure this out

As a LGBT person myself I give him no credit for engaging in a """respectful""" demonstration of homophobia. Lmao.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
As a gay man, it's sad to see people ostricized for making a free choice while not hurting anyone. Provorov can do whatever he likes and believe in whatever he likes when it comes to not wearing a jersey. Everyone is sick of corporations that have no values aside from making money use these topics as a marketing device. I don't need or want Comcast or the NHL to represent or do anything especially if it's meaningless. Why don't you focus on not ripping off millions of americans with low quality and overpriced service and high pressure sales tactics that target the elderly and the contractually and financially illiterate people to make billions? Why doesn't the league focus on what it should be doing and making the sport safer for athletes by addressing pain killer and alcohol abuse and head injuries seriously instead of playing princess tea party with select topics which they can easily make themselves look good with by donating a drop in the bucket after selling the league's soul and the health and well being of the future generations to gambling companies overseas with their 1 trillion gambling ads? As a gay person, I'd like the league to stop damning gay, straight, young, old, male, female hockey fans with gambling addictions for profit.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Yes and no. They’ll have to answer questions, but I really think it blows over in a week or two. If he went on some tirade I could easily see it becoming a major distraction.

He didn’t want to wear a rainbow shirt.

He made no degrading or negative statement whatsoever. I give him credit for being respectful while sticking to his morals whether I agree with him or not.

Other guys may not like it, but they just fall in lockstep to avoid the aggravation. IP at least showed a little backbone while not demeaning anyone.
Read between the lines. Refusing to wear a shirt showing support for a specific community while stating that it goes against your religious beliefs pretty much indicates that you don't believe/support/acknowledge said community considering your religion actively ridicules/excludes/whatever that community.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Read between the lines. Refusing to wear a shirt showing support for a specific community while stating that it goes against your religious beliefs pretty much indicates that you don't believe/support/acknowledge said community considering your religion actively ridicules/excludes/whatever that community.
Exactly.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
What does the rainbow shirt signify. What about it makes him uncomfortable. Im sure we can figure this out

As a LGBT person myself I give him no credit for engaging in a """respectful""" demonstration of homophobia. Lmao.
and that is the problem right there. Him disagreeing does not make him phobic. He did not disrespect you (lgbtq+) in any way. This is why any discussion on this topic always ends up being toxic because being in disagreement already paints you as the villain before the discussion even begins.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Oh stop… because he didn’t want to wear a rainbow jersey due to his religion / personal beliefs? It’s not like he was involved in a hate crime. He just sat out the warm up. If any teams evaluation of him as a player/person was effected by that then they are a joke of a franchise.
Personal beliefs need to be checked at the door if you're going to play in a league that recognizes inclusivity to ALL. He had no problem honoring the US military which, given his background, is surely against his beliefs. The same people that support his decision are the same ones who laugh or comment stupid shit under any LGBTQ post.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There's an idiom to describe what Provorov did, and that's "Putting himself ahead of the team".

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
You know what... So long as the player keeps his opinions to himself, I'm not too bothered by his actions.

I'm not exactly some new-wave "ally", I joined an LGBT activism group in high school some 20 years ago. I feel a great deal of empathy and compassion for people that just want to live and be treated as equals. A member of my family is gay and I see some of his struggles.

In this instance, the player is choosing to not take part in what is ostensibly a mini pride parade. While I certainly don't agree with his views, I can respect his decision to not take part just like I respected Tim Thomas' decision to not visit the White House after the Bruins won the cup due to his political views.

It's when people share their homophobic rhetoric that I begin to have a problem.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Probably won't be dealt until the off season if he is just because of how little cap space is out there for teams that could use him.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
He didnt actively take a stand against anyone, he just chose not to participate. There is a difference.

What if the NHL had a "Pro Choice" night? Would you expect a devout Catholic to participate?

Or conversely,, a "Pro Life" night, would you expect someone who supports a womens right to choose to participate? Probably not.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I would argue Provorov is being tolerant, he just doesn't want to rep something he doesn't support - that's not intolerance.
This is my take on the situation as well. Not everyone has the same beliefs, nor should they be expected to. We are all human after all. He did not attack the gay and lesbian community, he simply did not feel comfortable wearing the commerative jersey and he gave his reasons. I do believe that freedom of choice is one on the rights that the guy and lesbian community seeks to champion is it not?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You know what...

In this instance, the player is choosing to not take part in what is ostensibly a mini pride parade. While I certainly don't agree with his views, I can respect his decision to not take part just like I respected Tim Thomas' decision to not visit the White House after the Bruins won the cup due to his political views.

It's when people share their homophobic rhetoric that I begin to have a problem.
Nope

Reactions: teal

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
The reaction this event has caused tells me more about us as a society than the persons actions itself. He can represent whatever values he has decided to but the fact that the support of a minority group is so polarized tells me, that we as a society have failed as a whole. It shouldn't be so complicated or seen against your values to go out to skate for 15 minutes. Just to show your support for a group of human beings.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
This is my take on the situation as well. Not everyone has the same beliefs, nor should they be expected to. We are all human after all. He did not attack the gay and lesbian community, he simply did not feel comfortable wearing the commerative jersey and he gave his reasons. I do believe that freedom of choice is one on the rights that the guy and lesbian community seeks to champion is it not?
Same can be said about the police and military, we all saw what happens when you stand up against them.

The reaction this event has caused tells me more about us as a society than the persons actions itself. He can represent whatever values he has decided to but the fact that the support of a minority group is so polarized tells me, that we as a society have failed as a whole. It shouldn't be so complicated or seen against your values to go out to skate for 15 minutes. Just to show your support for a group of human beings.

Andddd that's all it really comes down to, supporting a group that has been (and continues to be) absolutely shit on.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
He didnt actively take a stand against anyone, he just chose not to participate. There is a difference.

What if the NHL had a "Pro Choice" night? Would you expect a devout Catholic to participate?

Or conversely,, a "Pro Life" night, would you expect someone who supports a womens right to choose to participate? Probably not.

Well he didn't actively participate because he said it's against his religion, which considers their existence to be a sin. So by choosing not to participate & telling us that's why, he's literally being anti-LGBTQ.

And the NHL would never have a Pro Choice night. That doesn't make sense. It doesn't support a marginalized community, or a group of "heroes" such as cops, firefighters, emergency responders, etc. to show appreciation.
(to be clear, I didn't quote Heroes in a mocking way. I just wanted to highlight the term since often that's what those jobs are viewed as during these nights).

And yes actually, most people who identify as Pro Choice probably would show up to Pro Life night (which would never happen, but I'll answer it anyway).

Reactions: Seachd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad