News Article: It's time to cut the cord with Chris Thorburn & Anthony Peluso

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The thing is the 13th forward is likely playing 50-70 games. And the 14th likely 30-50. That's not "watching from the press box". Lots of regulars will play less just due to injuries and coaches decisions. This is a false narrative.

There's nothing at all wrong with this lineup

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Laine
Matthias - Perreault - Dano
Lowry - Burmistrov - Stafford
Copp - Armia

Copp and Armia would play at least 50 games probably more, IMO, from injuries and can rotate in and out with Matthias, Dano, Lowry, Burmistrov.

it's pretty obvious that Thorburn will be getting pressbox time. honestly, it would blow my mind to see otherwise. in the past 2 seasons, i can argue that he deserved to play the role he played (minus him being ehlers' linemate). but our depth is insane now. so pressbox.

also, flip little and perreault as centres for those lines and i'm down. little doesn't have the speed for the rookies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So which forward deserves to watch the season from the press box?

1. Wheeler (29)*
2. Stafford (30)*
3. Little (28)*
4. Perrault (28)*
5. Matthias (28)*
6. Burmistrov (24)*
7. Tanev (24)
8. Scheifele (23)*
9. Armia (23)*
10. Lowry (23)*
11. Lipon (23)*
12. Dano (21)
13. Petan (21)
14. Ehlers (20)
15. Lemieux (20)
16. De Leo (20)
17. Connor (19)
18. Laine (18)

[*=waiver eligible)

No one will argue that there are far better options to make the team than Thorburn, but which 18-23 year old player will benefit from watching the Jets play from the pressbox?

For this reason alone Thorburn makes the Jets. No roster player is better suited for this role in 2016-2017.

Agree. Thor should change his jersey # to 13. If the young players can't earn a regular spot they should be in the AHL playing, not sitting in the PB.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The thing is the 13th forward is likely playing 50-70 games. And the 14th likely 30-50. That's not "watching from the press box". Lots of regulars will play less just due to injuries and coaches decisions. This is a false narrative.

Connor - Little - Laine
Copp - Armia

Copp and Armia would play at least 50 games probably more, IMO, from injuries and can rotate in and out with Matthias, Dano, Lowry, Burmistrov.

When an injury occurs bring up a player from the Moose. Thor still sits in the PB or maybe gets in 1 game while we await the arrival of the called up player if travel is required. He gets 5-10 games on the year. No 14th F. Carry 8 D.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
it's pretty obvious that Thorburn will be getting pressbox time. honestly, it would blow my mind to see otherwise. in the past 2 seasons, i can argue that he deserved to play the role he played (minus him being ehlers' linemate). but our depth is insane now. so pressbox.

also, flip little and perreault as centres for those lines and i'm down. little doesn't have the speed for the rookies.

Whichever line mates Little will have, that line will get 2nd line and some first line minutes. Perreault's line will get favorable matchups one way or another. Should allow his line to eat up some other teams.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm with you on this topic.Most everyone does not like Thorburn or Peluso and that is why you see post like this.Bottom line is there will be fights in the NHL until they say no more fights or it's an instant penalty.The teams you mentioned did sign those players to have some muscle on there team.We need one of the two and if I was to pick I would pick Peluso.He is a legitimate enforcer in this league and every team should have at least one to keep the peace.

It isn't that fighting no longer exists. It does. It is that it no longer serves a purpose, if it ever did. At least with the exception of some moderate entertainment value.

A good hockey fight is a guilty pleasure. There are not very many 'good' hockey fights.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Some of my favorite fights were by guys like Ladd (vs. Heddman), Bogo, Kane, Buff, etc. Heat of the moment, "Don't mess with my teammates" kinda things.

I'd be happy to see the 4th line thugs disappear completely from the game. Staged fights are boring. I know there are those that disagree with me - just stating my honest opinion.

Plant Thor in the PB and put Peluso on waivers/send him to the Moose. Heck: send Thor to the Moose and give him a C - if he's a great locker room guy, then pass that along to our prospects.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm with you on this topic.Most everyone does not like Thorburn or Peluso and that is why you see post like this.Bottom line is there will be fights in the NHL until they say no more fights or it's an instant penalty.The teams you mentioned did sign those players to have some muscle on there team.We need one of the two and if I was to pick I would pick Peluso.He is a legitimate enforcer in this league and every team should have at least one to keep the peace.

[mod]

That is just false. It doesn't work. Someone crosses a line. Next shift both teams put out their fighters. They fight each other. Nothing was enforced. Nothing was discouraged. Nothing was accomplished.

OK, if i have to. But you know that slogan appeared on every TV in the world many times in the sixties - and they didn't even use asterisks. :laugh:

Last edited:

boanst

May 25, 2013
Why have Laine on the right?

Its been documented clearly he performs much better on the left, and Connor does well on the right.

Perhaps, but there was a time where placing Ehlers on the left was considered unwise, but it looks okay now.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Take away Datsyuk and Zetterberg and the Wings are mediocre. I think their "model" is overblown. My own view is that there's a risk of wasting some good years of young players in the minors or behind vets. I don't mind another year of pushing young players into the line-up to accelerate the movement a bit. The Jets have plenty of leadership to mentor them.

I am no Wings fan. In fact I despise them but 25 straight years in the playoffs and 4 Stanley Cups speak for the model. The team has not missed the playoffs since 5 years before Jets v1.0 left for Arizona. 14 division titles and 6 Presidents Trophies.

Those home playoff games are pretty good revenue generators on the business side of things as is a winning hockey team

The Wings seasoned and developed many players in the AHL including guys like Keith Primeau. Most recently guys like Smith, Helm and Abdelkader. Not every player is top six or top pairing dmen. Developing the supporting cast is just as important.

The AHL is a great place for development and with the Moose in the same city makes an easy call up for home games.

The Red Wings have done a lot with their draft picks by developing in the AHL. If the Jets made the playoffs for 25 straight seasons and won 4 cups I would consider that to be a model of success.

i really don't think developing players like Lemieux and Petan in the PB is the way to go.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Yes...of course it would...that's my point...it's in no one's best interest for Laine, Connor, Lemieux, Petan, Dano, Lipon, Armia, Lowry, Copp or Tanev's to be watching any more than a handful of games from upstairs.

That SHOULD be Thorburn's role at this point in his career. The projected bottom 6 & the extra 1 or 2 forwards are all in their very early 20's. If they aren't playing regularly, they should be playing for the Moose.

I certainly don't have the hate on for Thor that many do. I've found him adequate in a 4th line role & always understood the Jets lack of depth during injuries elevated him to a top 9 role where he was often out of place. Now that our forward depth is as strong as it is, I doubt we'll ever see him play anywhere other than RW4.

As for Peluso, there's no room for him on the Moose roster let alone the Jets.

1) Ehlers / Scheifele / Wheeler
2) Laine / Little / Stafford
3) Perrault / Burmistrov / Dano
4) Matthias / Lowry / Armia

1) Connor / Petan / Kosmochuk
2) Lemieux / De Leo / Lipon
3) Tanev / Copp / Lodge
4) Howden / Olson / Fronk

There's barely room for Blomquist. Pretty sure it's "Tulsa Time" for someone, particularly if Cormier returns to captain this squad.

Ok - thanks for clarifying. We are on the same page. That is one of the most realistic rosters that I have seen to start the season.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I see Thorburn as the 13th forward. He is an ok role player.

I think Peluso goes to the Moose. He can protect the young guys.

The signing of Matthias makes Burmistrov expendable. If Dano AND Armia play well Stafford could go too.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Switch

Connor - Little - Laine
Copp - Armia

Looks OK other than Elhers -Laine switch to their natural wings.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

a)He does. b)He has the smarts (even more so than Perreault). c)He is clearly our 2C, actually 1b.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Little is deceptively quick and fast. I'd also argue that there will probably be a battle for the #1C next year between Little and Scheif, which can only mean good things for the Jets. Nice problem to have.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Some of my favorite fights were by guys like Ladd (vs. Heddman), Bogo, Kane, Buff, etc. Heat of the moment, "Don't mess with my teammates" kinda things.

I'd be happy to see the 4th line thugs disappear completely from the game. Staged fights are boring. I know there are those that disagree with me - just stating my honest opinion.

Plant Thor in the PB and put Peluso on waivers/send him to the Moose. Heck: send Thor to the Moose and give him a C - if he's a great locker room guy, then pass that along to our prospects.

Kane, one punch KO, forget the victim. Remember he deserved it though. :laugh:

Ehlers-Barrie - no explanation required. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Perhaps, but there was a time where placing Ehlers on the left was considered unwise, but it looks okay now.

It worked well - for a short time. I wonder if that becomes the norm and he only plays right side on the PP. The same could be done with Laine. Perhaps that is best in the long run - or not. I'm really not sure.

In spite of having done it the other way most of their lives will they be better on their conventional sides after a short adjustment period?

Discussion?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Thorburn's making $1.2 mil next year. that's perfect pressbox money. no shame in that.
i'm just worried PoMo has that old school mentality and wants a 3-6 min 4th line to provide (*groan*) energy.
you know.
they skate for 30 seconds. they hit everything in site. maybe cycle the puck for 5 or 6 seconds. then more hits.
they don't score, but man, the players on the Jets' bench see guys SKATING and HITTING and say "hey! i didn't realize that's something we can do. LET'S DO IT AND LET'S NOW SCORE!" and then the next shift, the Jets get something like 14 scoring chances.
it's well documented, somewhere.

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island

I recall last year we were beating Washington and one of their players cheap shot schief really bad. Went for the knee and and tried elbowing. trouba was all over him

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am no Wings fan. In fact I despise them but 25 straight years in the playoffs and 4 Stanley Cups speak for the model. The team has not missed the playoffs since 5 years before Jets v1.0 left for Arizona. 14 division titles and 6 Presidents Trophies.

Those home playoff games are pretty good revenue generators on the business side of things as is a winning hockey team

The Wings seasoned and developed many players in the AHL including guys like Keith Primeau. Most recently guys like Smith, Helm and Abdelkader. Not every player is top six or top pairing dmen. Developing the supporting cast is just as important.

The AHL is a great place for development and with the Moose in the same city makes an easy call up for home games.

The Red Wings have done a lot with their draft picks by developing in the AHL. If the Jets made the playoffs for 25 straight seasons and won 4 cups I would consider that to be a model of success.

i really don't think developing players like Lemieux and Petan in the PB is the way to go.

I think the Detroit Model is a myth. The argument should not be 'is it good', or not. It should be 'does it exist', or not.

Look back through their draft history and you can't find any signs of the model they are supposed to follow.

They drafted Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall in successive years. Datsyuk and Zetterberg played a combined 0 games in the AHL (Stayed in Russia and Sweden for 3 years after draft). Kronwall played 26 games in the AHL plus the lockout '05 season.

Many years they got little or nothing out of the draft regardless how long they left them to cook.

In the last 10-12 years they have had a few, including Helm and Abdelkader who have developed in the AHL into mid roster players but not enough to establish a 'model' that is any different than any other team has. They have had a few picks in the late first and on who have required more development time just as is expected from picks in those parts of the draft.

Their success has been built on those 3 players not on the Helms and Abdelkaders. Go back further and there was Yzerman. Other than him they did not draft the core of that successful team. They got it by other means because they did not draft much else for many years.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Not to get too all over the place but I think outside of some really over the top pre-season performances that the Jets roster will be fairly predictable. By that I mean contracts and waiver eligibility will dictate things.

The Jets WILL start the season with Stuart & Thorburn in the starting line up. Stuart is 100% in and Thorburn is about 90% in. (not my choice but the reality).

This means that some pretty good players will be demoted to the AHL because we can do so without losing them. I do think that the roster can change fairly quickly because of injuries and performance etc...

But people listing Stafford on the 4th aren't being very realistic as to what is going to happen.

Lastly I see zero chance of the Jets starting the season with Laine and Connor on the same line. I "think" Laine is a lock for that 2nd line and Connor may yet earn the 3rd line spot but is also very likely to find himself on the Moose for the reasons listed above. Could the two of them end up on a line together later in the year... sure... anything can happen. But I believe if Connor is with the Jets they will look to get him advantageous match ups with someone like Perrault to feed him the puck.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I think the Detroit Model is a myth. The argument should not be 'is it good', or not. It should be 'does it exist', or not.

Look back through their draft history and you can't find any signs of the model they are supposed to follow.

They drafted Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall in successive years. Datsyuk and Zetterberg played a combined 0 games in the AHL (Stayed in Russia and Sweden for 3 years after draft). Kronwall played 26 games in the AHL plus the lockout '05 season.

Many years they got little or nothing out of the draft regardless how long they left them to cook.

In the last 10-12 years they have had a few, including Helm and Abdelkader who have developed in the AHL into mid roster players but not enough to establish a 'model' that is any different than any other team has. They have had a few picks in the late first and on who have required more development time just as is expected from picks in those parts of the draft.

Their success has been built on those 3 players not on the Helms and Abdelkaders. Go back further and there was Yzerman. Other than him they did not draft the core of that successful team. They got it by other means because they did not draft much else for many years.

I don't believe it to be a myth so I will agree to disagree.

Final points - Tomas Tatar also parts of 4 seasons in the AHL and now a 20 goal man. Dylan Larkin the 1st teenager on the Wings since Hudler in 2003 and 1st to start opening night since Sellinger in 1990.

If it is a myth this may be a good read. The Red Wings organization seems to have a development plan.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ild-a-dynasty/article12147433/?service=mobile

I would rather see Thorbs and Peluso in the PB than guys like Petan and Lemieux.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Can we acknowledge how terrible Thorburn is at fighting?

That's my biggest complaint with him, is that his deficiencies in that regard forced the Jets to grab Peluso, because they wanted a good facepuncher on the team.

Thorburn is a fine fill in 4th liner, and honestly, I don't even HATE him on the third if we're shorthanded. He knows not to do anything too stupid on the ice.

Stuart is a terrible NHL defenseman, and the biggest weakness on the jets that doesn't sit between the pipes. Great guy, but just a not very good hockey player.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I see Thorburn as the 13th forward. He is an ok role player.

I think Peluso goes to the Moose. He can protect the young guys.

The signing of Matthias makes Burmistrov expendable. If Dano AND Armia play well Stafford could go too.

I can practically guarantee that if Thorbs isn't sent down to C on the Moose (yea wishful thinking), he probably plays 60+ games for the Jets. If he's around, he'll be playing -- thats just the way Mo works.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00